PDA

View Full Version : PTFE tape

Pete
03-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Okay there is nothing saying exactly how much so be used so how much should be used on threaded fittings?

I'm bord, it's wet out and it;s a sunday. Plus i have lots of treads i need to prep up for my 7 loops.

Pete

Pete
03-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Metal to metal and PTFE tape is only option, been adivsed 1-2, 2, 4 wraps

SiGfever
03-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Hold the fitting so the threads are to your right. Leave the first (opposite barb end) one to two threads bare and wrap the tape in a clockwise direction while holding tension on the tape.

Slip the role up on your index finger with the tape coming off the back of the roll and hold tension on the roll with your middle finger and thumb. Four to five wraps if put on with tension. Remember that Teflon is listed as a "Lubricant" by DuPont so do not over-tighten.

Garu
03-04-2007, 06:29 AM
PA120.3 came with clear plastic fittings. I had to remount this rad three times because of leaks. On 3rd time, I basically used half of the tape to wrap two of these suckers. I'd say 15 to 20 wraps per. No more leaks!:woot:
Then again, metal to plastic is lot different then metal to metal.

Marci
03-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Generally, 3 to 5 wraps of PTFE is enough to guarantee a seal. I always go with 5.

The barbs that came with your kit should already have PTFE tape on them. If they don't then you will need to PTFE them first. PTFE tape is used to seal threaded joins in plumbing applications, and stops water leaking up the threads of the barbs... The picture sequence below from left to right takes you thru the process of PTFE-ing your barbs... 3 to 5 wraps of PTFE tape is usually sufficient for the radiators... but some devices such as the Eheim 1250 pump (where the thread is sunk into the inlet shaft of the pump) can require up to 8 wraps for a sufficient seal. Once you have PTFE'd your barbs, screw them into your radiator, and you should be left with something rather strikingly similar to the picture shown at the end of the sequence!
http://www.over-clock.com/marci/WCFAQ/2/img5.jpg

Pete
03-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Cheers Marci, i did 5 in the end anyway. Maybe a sticky update is needed