PDA

View Full Version : Limiting top scores to the top 40

zakelwe
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Recently this was proposed for the top teams, to limit the members to the top 40. This is a really BAD idea because you no longer have a team result, you have a sub team result which is not actually a team result.

However, it is still a good idea when you take this bad idea and move it on to the individual scores and modify it somewhat.

What hwbot should do is to rationalise the top scoring individuals to a factor of 40 or some other factor. Just looking at the top scores

http://www.aocb77.dsl.pipex.com/hwbotscores.jpg

we can see some people have submitted X hundred scores to get their ranking and some have just submitted X tens to get the same.

WE DO NOT WANT QUANTITY OVER QUALITY.

Yet again HWbot falls down on this very simple premis. An easy solution is to simply say your top X scores are counted and no more.

Regards

Andy

Gorod
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Agree 100% :up: :toast:

jmke
03-02-2007, 05:10 AM
even more recently HWbot rev2 was updated with more info, but since the thread here was closed... the info could not get posted here.
check http://www.hwbot.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=2 :)
TOP 40 as mentioned by OP will not be implemented.

in that link you also see how they plan to address the "grinding" hw store. but I'm not in favor of this change...

massman
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Recently this was proposed for the top teams, to limit the members to the top 40. This is a really BAD idea because you no longer have a team result, you have a sub team result which is not actually a team result.

However, it is still a good idea when you take this bad idea and move it on to the individual scores and modify it somewhat.

What hwbot should do is to rationalise the top scoring individuals to a factor of 40 or some other factor. Just looking at the top scores

http://www.aocb77.dsl.pipex.com/hwbotscores.jpg

we can see some people have submitted X hundred scores to get their ranking and some have just submitted X tens to get the same.

Yet again HWbot falls down on this very simple premis. An easy solution is to simply say your top X scores are counted and no more.

Regards

Andy

Lol ... profile (http://www.hwbot.org/searchMembers.do?userId=6316&name=kim55): the most of his results are overclocked systems. That guy has put an enormeous amount of time in benching all those systems on every bench. He just deserves to be in the HOF.

HeavyH20
03-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Some people only edit the one score they have submitted. The premise of HWBOT is to submit as many results as possible. So, if I get a better score, that's a new submission. And, more results helps get the database full. I do, however, think that the 2 pointers can sway things a little too far of center. Half the top 10 is based on mostly these obtuse hardware benches. I have started this as well, as it seems it is an accepted part of the game. So far, I have about 50 points on these obtuse hardware bench results.

jmke
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I do find that these 2 pointers merrit a high rank, it takes time, effort and skill as well to collect benchmark scores:)

eva2000
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I do find that these 2 pointers merrit a high rank, it takes time, effort and skill as well to collect benchmark scores:)
Exactly, it takes time and effort to do... sometimes i think 2pts aren't enough for the effort involved LOL

Trend seems to be these days, if i can't do it or don't have such and such hardware benchmark wise, then it's unfair.

i.e.

If you limit team pts to top 40 then it's unfair to the large forums... okay think about this what about the smaller than 40 member forums, who have small member base and traffic ? Those small teams who have trouble even getting 30 members to be active on hwbot rankings! There's alot more forum/teams with less than 40 hwbot members than there are larger than 40 hwbot member forums. But do you seem the smaller forums complain ?
Folks using their old hardware to bench for more points. If those folks only have such old hardware and can't afford or justify buying new high end 8800GTX SLI systems/hardware and DI/LN2/Phase change units, why can't they contribute their older hardware to their scores ?

At this rate, we'll end up with ridiculous threads on hwbot forums by some members complaining that:

using DI/LN2/Phase change is unfair cause they don't have such cooling gear.
that using high end DDR2 is unfair as they only have access to value ram.
that water cooling is unfair as some members only use air cooling...
that we should limit Phase/LN2/DI cooled hardware pt allocation to just their highest score for each benchmark, so that their lower category pts don't count to their score totals - that there's too many extreme cooling results in a member's profile which is unfair to air cooling users.

The whole point of benchmarking/overclocking is to work with what you got within the boundaries of you own limits (your own predefinied set of rules - financial, circumstantial, skill/knowledge etc)..

So if you have phase/DI/LN2/water cooling, then use it. If you have old hardware, then use it. If you happen to own 8800GTX SLI system, then use it. If you only have a FX5200 card then use it.

I believe the current plans to revise Hwbot methods of calculating points has the simple goal of increasing participation by more forum/member communities across the world wide web. Is there anything wrong with that ?

There's definitely alot more folks with older hardware than new hardware.

Hwbot rankings and the method to calculate pts was always clearly stated to be beta and subject to change. This is the pre-defined rules for hwbot ranking/competition. We just need to work with what we got (hardware wise) within the boundaries of those pre-defined rules (hwbot rules).

So if they limit team pts to top 40 members, live with it and work within those boundaries. Although that has already been abandoned.
So if they change it so that old hardware is totally excluded and minimum hardware allowed is 8800GTS/8800GTS SLI cards are needed with DI cooling, then live with it and work within those boundaries. Won't ever happen .. why cause hwbot is about working with what the member has whether that be old hardware or new or extreme cooling etc. There shouldn't be any limits on what hardware one person can or can not use, old/new hardware, phase/DI/LN2 or air/water etc.
So if they change it to ban or limit all DI/Phase/LN2 results as some folks complain it's unfair as they don't use or have access to such cooling, then live with it and work within those boundaries. Won't ever happen .. why cause hwbot is about working with what the member has whether that be old hardware or new or extreme cooling etc. There shouldn't be any limits on what hardware one person can or can not use, old/new hardware, phase/DI/LN2 or air/water etc.