PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver for Wii

JAWS
03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Has anybody found a substitute for this screwdriver? Home Depot? Lowes? I need to buy one, but I don't want to spend $10 on this.

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/Tri-Wing-Screwdriver-for-Wii-NDS-GameBoy-p-2481.html

[XC] Lead Head
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I heard of people having some luck with heating up the end of a pen just enough so it it can be bent and formed, then jamming it into the consoles hole for the screw, taking it out, and using it has a make shift screwdriver

Thrilla
03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I cant even tell what the tip looks like lol.
It says tri so I guess 3 blades evenly spread out. Just take a small 1 blade screw driver that can fit inside one of the blades, and push it in a circle instead of twisting it in a circle. That's the trick I used back in the days when I didn't have a screwdriver set hahaha, takes some force though.

pissboy
03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Has anybody found a substitute for this screwdriver? Home Depot? Lowes? I need to buy one, but I don't want to spend $10 on this.

http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/cyclowiz.php

Home Depot/Lowes might have sets of security bits, if not, mcmaster carr has everything.. I seem to remember picking up a set of ~60 security driver bits for around $30 or so, but that was at an electronics place (you-do-it electronics, if you're near needham, ma) With that security bit set, and a cordless drill, I could take apart nearly every public bathroom, hard drive, and cable box in existence.. not that I would. :)

[XC] MarioMaster
03-03-2007, 08:35 PM
check ebay, nintendo is always known for using weird screws - but i know you can get the Y shaped screwdrivers on ebay

Thrilla
03-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Get a metal rod, a file, and off you go :P

[XC] leviathan18
03-04-2007, 05:59 AM
easy just drill the screw.... and replace them

Reznik Akime
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Lead Head;2044765']I heard of people having some luck with heating up the end of a pen just enough so it it can be bent and formed, then jamming it into the consoles hole for the screw, taking it out, and using it has a make shift screwdriver

I used this actually with my gamecube. It has to be a certain BIC pen, however. Not all will work. It was like three nears nearly since I done it but I believe it was the solid white Bics that were hexagonal in shape. When they melt and cool back down they become hard as glass nearly. Any other pen wouldn't get that hard and just either mold odd or break after it became set. The ones recommended does work rather well but make sure its moved around as little as possible as its cooling, or you will just make it loose and strip out either the top of the screw or pen itself.

The only problem I encountered with this was that the screws would sometimes get stuck in the pen as it was cooling down, but one thats properly heated and molded will last you for a while, surprisingly. As crazy as it sounds theres an art to it.

ziddey
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
wow i'll have to look into this bic method tomorrow. i ordered some stuff from canada but who knows when it'll get here.. i guess in the meantime, i can just hook it to the parallel port and go from there

JAWS
06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
wow i'll have to look into this bic method tomorrow. i ordered some stuff from canada but who knows when it'll get here.. i guess in the meantime, i can just hook it to the parallel port and go from there

ziddey who did you order from?

ziddey
06-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I ordered from foundmy.com, but afterwards heard from various forums that they're slow on shipping and don't respond to emails. Ehhh.

edit: is there no talk of modchips on xs?

JAWS
06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I ordered from foundmy.com, but afterwards heard from various forums that they're slow on shipping and don't respond to emails. Ehhh.

edit: is there no talk of modchips on xs?

Grey area=mod chip

I ordered from consolesource. (Wiikey and the screwdriver)

Have you received your mpodchip yet? Which one did you settle on?

ziddey
06-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I got wiikey + screwdriver so I haven't received either yet. I didn't do the bulk of the research until after I ordered the wiikey. If I had to do it again, I probably would go for something else.

JAWS
06-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I got wiikey + screwdriver so I haven't received either yet. I didn't do the bulk of the research until after I ordered the wiikey. If I had to do it again, I probably would go for something else.

nah you will be fine!!! :) what does your Wii have D2A, D2B, D2C?

ziddey
06-29-2007, 12:21 PM
d2b with most likely clipped legs. lu517. at the very least, i'd like to be able to take it apart and start filing on the d2b if i can't somehow manage to solder it back on

MrChubz
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Last I checked, you can get on from ebay for 20 cents or something like that. That pen thing sounds interesting and might work however.

ziddey
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
after shipping, it ends up like $10+

JAWS
06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
d2b with most likely clipped legs. lu517. at the very least, i'd like to be able to take it apart and start filing on the d2b if i can't somehow manage to solder it back on

well you never know...you might end up having D2B bbefore they cut the legs. sux I just found out about the new chip the other day.

As for Wiikey not one problem since I installed it. I installed with wires just to be safe.

ziddey
06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think it'd be a problem for me either. Just the fact that some ngc games won't play (authentic or not) bugs me a little.

JAWS
11-21-2007, 05:10 PM

ziddy, did your LU517 end up having legs cut? Please let me know!

ziddey
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah somewhere in the 315/515's they started cutting legs. then in the 23's or so they switched to d2c.

cut leg isn't that bad if you don't try rebuilding the legs without first removing a bit of the package. I did it once, but it was a major pain. but then one drunken night i thought it undid itself and ripped it out. I tried for hours the second time but ended up using a kitchen knife and shaving the package. real easy and safer than a dremel.

for what it's worth, you should check out gbatemp and psx-scene. lots of info on wii modding there.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :)

edit: there's d2ckey for the new gen d2c chips :) and soon to be a simpler one to install by infectus

wilp (wlip?) coming out around christmas. basically a brace that clips onto the cut leg d2b. easy peasy hopefully

zoob
11-22-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2905

hawtrawkr
11-22-2007, 12:35 PM
wish id read about the pen trick few months ago. ended up ordering a new black shell from ebay that came with triwing as part of the package though.

ziddey
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
eh, I tried the pen trick and wasn't very successful at all. I did get a husky multiset of small phillips and flathead pieces and was able to wedge one of the flatheads just perfectly to get the screws out. That said, I just ordered a triwing from modchipcentral when I placed my order. Not that expensive in the bundle either.

JAWS
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Yeah that's what I did to. I paid $10 with my Wiikey. lol

grat find zoob!