PDA

View Full Version : stability questions

Lev
02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
ok, so for the cpu specifically (not the rest of the system) would a multiplier of 8 and fsb of 300 be safer then a multiplier of 6 and fsb of 400? (default multiplier is 8)

also: i know how fsb is the rating at which all hardware communicates with the cpu, so if i up my fsb to 400 to match my ram speed do you think my 8800gts could get damaged? how about my audigy se soundcard?

Nerfy
02-25-2007, 01:50 PM
The PCI and PCI-E buses are locked (double check; PCI-E should be 100mhz, PCI 33.3mhz), so you can't damage them by increasing FSB.

Go for the highest stable FSB. Don't forget about the RAM; make sure it is stable with the FSB speed you end up on.

No FSB speed is less "safe" than any other. Go for what is stable all around, watching temps of course.

Lev
02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
and what is a good program to check for system stability?

and if my ram is default at 400 (its ddr2 800) then it should be stable at 400 fsb obviously (unless im missing something..) right?

Nerfy
02-26-2007, 05:58 AM
and what is a good program to check for system stability?

and if my ram is default at 400 (its ddr2 800) then it should be stable at 400 fsb obviously (unless im missing something..) right?

Yeah, if you stay at 400 fsb you don't need to worry about your RAM.

For system stability SP2004 is my favorite; and if you are a gamer, just play some of your favorite games for a while. If it passes both of those (at least several hours for SP2004) you are plenty stable.

Lev
03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
ok, so im running superpi atm to test my system at stock to compare it to when im OCing... here is my question, i have superpi cpu-z and windows tsk manager open to see cpu usage.. i have an e6400 (dual core) and my usage never exceeds 50%..

what is wrong with my cpu? I have not OCed yet so nothing should be wrong..

edit: nevermind superPi is 1 thread obviously (doh), and ive gone from 267 fsb to 280 and got a 5.2% increase in performance,

16m values and 11m23s at stock now 10m47s at 280 fsb. using ntune to OC because i cant seem to find the fsb under bios but i can find the cpu multiplier in it, might go with 6 multiplier and 400 fsb, i dont think it will be safe though, what are the chances of screwing up my computer if i do this with ntune? is it safer if i just find it in the bios?

Lev
03-04-2007, 01:37 PM
so what do you guys recommend i OC this to, or atleast try to, im looking for an improvement while not sacrificing stability, im a gamer

here is a diagram of my airflow:

--outfan cpu(stock)
l
l
l gpufan
l (intake from the side of case)
l

now thats a really dumb diagram but you get the idea, i have intake near my gpu that kind of goes up aswell to reach my cpu, and hot air near the cpu is pushed out by the outfan right next to it.

edit:
eVGA 8800GTS 640 MB
intel e6400 @ stock speed with stock cooling
audigy se sound card
nzxt apollo case
corsair 520w psu
7200.5(yes old) seagate 80gb hd
2 120mm fans

also: is it safe to run the 8800gts fan at 100%? it sounds like its going to break when i do, i mean it seriously makes more noise then the rest of my system, and if i do run it at 100% what is a good core/mem?

Lev
03-04-2007, 03:36 PM
is 56C* safe when using 100% of one core, this is the cpu temp under everest ultimate edition trial. atm im doing an exact 10% fsb overclock, have not bothered messing with the multiplier yet, probably will lower it to pump up my fsb.

Ku-sama
03-04-2007, 04:07 PM
well more then likely Lev your FSB will get capped on your motherboard then your CPU, our little conroe's overclock like a mofo

Lev
03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
well more then likely Lev your FSB will get capped on your motherboard then your CPU, our little conroe's overclock like a mofo

i guess thats good to know, its impossible to damage the chipset right? er.. i mean its possible but it shouldnt happen with just fsb increases?

btw i am not going to do any volt changes until i get around to buying that scythe infin or tuniq, have not decided yet...

1 more question: if my motherboard says it supports DDR2 800, my reasoning: dont you need a proc with fsb of 400 to take advantage of this?