PDA

View Full Version : SuSE 10.2

Jinxxed
02-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Is quite possibly the smoothest distro i have ever ran.

If you haven't tried it, i recommend that you do.:woot:

XtremeBawls
02-23-2007, 07:52 AM
I tried installing it last night along with Mac 10.4.8...will try to get it all installed and working this weekend.

Jinxxed
02-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I tried installing it last night along with Mac 10.4.8...will try to get it all installed and working this weekend.

If you need any help you are free to PM me.

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 12:47 AM
SUSE is for people that like hand holding. use a real man's distro like GENTOO!

[XC] Teroedni
02-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Another great hand holding distro is Ubuntu;)
Ive tried Gentoo but found it to take far too much time.(Yeah im lazy:D)

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Another great hand holding distro is Ubuntu;)
Ive tried Gentoo but found it to take far too much time.(Yeah im lazy:D)

LOL but that's their theme, look at their logo :D

look at my Gentoo Guide, oh n/m you won't want to wait 4hours for a solid,bleeding edge,fully optimized to your CPU specs Gentoo base system,.

AzraelDarkangel
02-28-2007, 03:18 AM
I find that most hard-core linux users tend to be very masochistic, lol. True though, if you take the time to build an optimized linux distro for your setup it will be very fast. I love linux, it's great for surfing :banana::banana::banana::banana: without worrying about viruses, lol. Really though I love how you can setup absolutely everything the way you want it. I used Mepis for a while, another nice hand-holder. I want to try Sabayon which is actually based on Gentoo. My only issue concerning Debian based distros is that I ran into problems with drivers for my aging nForce2 IGP based chipset. Nvidia no longer supports this old chipset and I did a general update and lost my video. I fixed the problem but it was annoying. I can't use alot of the bleeding edge video stuff because of package dependency issues with the older package I have to use for the older Nvidia driver. There is probably a way to do it but it's a pain. I need a new setup anyway, I'm just really poor. I'll probably buy parts for a new computer soon. I already have a Lian-Li PC7BW-Plus II sitting around.

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I love linux, it's great for surfing :banana::banana::banana::banana: without worrying about viruses, lol.

LOL

[XC] Teroedni
02-28-2007, 01:32 PM
LOL but that's their theme, look at their logo :D

:hehe:

look at my Gentoo Guide, oh n/m you won't want to wait 4hours for a solid,bleeding edge,fully optimized to your CPU specs Gentoo base system,.

uhm: Can you actually prove that Gentoo optimized is faster than regular Ubuntu Version for example. I higly doubt my Boinc benchmarks will be better with a Optimized Gentoo vs Ubuntu 7.04 Install. Yes i have tried Gentoo but could not find any differenze in Boinc or any other program:/

And i removed it after having problem wit portage and programs that simply refused to compile properly...no gnutella...no Gnomebaker:(
Still i was worth the try and i actually miss the Gentoo Console a little. Gentoo actually made the Console seem fun:cool:

I prefer Ubuntu Hand Holding now, but i might return to Gentoo later:)

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
:hehe:

uhm: Can you actually prove that Gentoo optimized is faster than regular Ubuntu Version for example. I higly doubt my Boinc benchmarks will be better with a Optimized Gentoo vs Ubuntu 7.04 Install. Yes i have tried Gentoo but could not find any differenze in Boinc or any other program:/

And i removed it after having problem wit portage and programs that simply refused to compile properly...no gnutella...no Gnomebaker:(
Still i was worth the try and i actually miss the Gentoo Console a little. Gentoo actually made the Console seem fun:cool:

I prefer Ubuntu Hand Holding now, but i might return to Gentoo later:)

Well it depends on how you setup your base system, your CFLAGS and if you're actually build it with NPTL support.
BOINC definally runs faster and so will other applications. I can compile GCC-4.1.2 in only 20mins :)
that's with an opteron 165 at 3Ghz.

itznfb
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
always have been, always will be a slackware fan :D

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
always have been, always will be a slackware fan :D

what gcc,glibc is slackware currently supporting?

itznfb
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
3.4.6/2.3.6

i still run slackware 9 though

itznfb
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
doubleclick

[XC] Teroedni
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Well it depends on how you setup your base system, your CFLAGS and if you're actually build it with NPTL support.
What is NPTL?

BOINC definally runs faster and so will other applications
Hmm i could not sense any different, but thats was the easiest kind of Gentoo install. I guess the stage 1 Install is the most optimized?

. I can compile GCC-4.1.2 in only 20mins :)
that's with an opteron 165 at 3Ghz.
Hand holding Ubuntu can install/upgrade it in 5 min;)

Well it could be interesting to know if Boinc was faster in optimized Gento+5.8.11 Wcg versus Ubuntu 7.04 +5.8.11 Wcg. But thats mean that someone should test it against each other. Maybe you could do some testing:D

If not i may have a Sempron64@2ghz which i could first install Ubuntu 7.04 on run Wcg benchmark. Then run Optimized Gentoo on and see if i get higher benchmark. Would be interesting too see:)

So the Guide you posted is the most optimized install right?

[XC] Teroedni
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Likewhoa
Another question to a expert;)

Is there any differenze between 64 bit Gentoo and 32 bit?.
I tried 64bit vs 32 bit Ubuntu, but the only differenze i could notice was that 64 bit Ubuntu eat lots more ram:/. Task did not seem to work faster.
But thats was with precompiled Ubuntu

kiwi
02-28-2007, 02:24 PM
If you are interested in WCG then compile BOINC from source on 64bit distro yourself. Check WCG benchmark section for my results, 64bit client > 32bit client > Win :) However, since WCG are giving credits based on average result, your gain might not be as high as you would like to

As for best linux or any other *nix type distro, it is really a matter of preference.
I mainly use FC, Suse and sometimes Ubuntu.

Those hardcore might try this one :D
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
What is NPTL?

NPTL (Native POSIX Threads Library)

In the GNU/Linux operating system, the Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL) is a software feature that enables the Linux kernel to run programs written to use POSIX Threads very efficiently.

In tests, NPTL succeeded in starting 100,000 threads on a IA-32 in two seconds. In comparison, this test under a kernel without NPTL would have taken around 15 minutes.

Hmm i could not sense any different, but thats was the easiest kind of Gentoo install. I guess the stage 1 Install is the most optimized?

Yes stage1 will get your a much more optimized and stronger toolchain based on your compiler CFLAGS/LDFLAGS, you see the stage3 install is meant to be compatible with all i686 processor architecturers this is also the case with (binary base distro) were they are pre-configure to run on a wide variety of processors i.e i686 archs. but with Gentoo stage3 you still have the freedom to optimize your CFLAGS but if you're gonna do that, you might as well do a stage1 install which will build it from the start with your optimize compiler flags.

Well it could be interesting to know if Boinc was faster in optimized Gento+5.8.11 Wcg versus Ubuntu 7.04 +5.8.11 Wcg. But thats mean that someone should test it against each other. Maybe you could do some testing:D

I don't see a point in proving that Gentoo vs (binary distro) i.e ubuntu,suse etc.. is faster when it's obvious that a from source distribution which compiles as you go is faster in all aspects. just remember binary distro are not compiler optimized nor cpu optimized and from source distros like Gentoo give you that control.

So the Guide you posted is the most optimized install right?

Yes, it is based on a stage1 install with NPTL enabled. The guide is setup for both 32/64bit and most CPUs. :)

[XC] Teroedni
03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
If you are interested in WCG then compile BOINC from source on 64bit distro yourself. Check WCG benchmark section for my results, 64bit client > 32bit client > Win :) However, since WCG are giving credits based on average result, your gain might not be as high as you would like to

As for best linux or any other *nix type distro, it is really a matter of preference.
I mainly use FC, Suse and sometimes Ubuntu.

Those hardcore might try this one :D
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Huh?
From my earlier run of 64 bit Ubuntu 64 bit Boinc doesnt work with Wcg. I had to use emul32 in order to run wcg on an Ubuntu 64 machine.

likewhoa
03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Huh?
From my earlier run of 64 bit Ubuntu 64 bit Boinc doesnt work with Wcg. I had to use emul32 in order to run wcg on an Ubuntu 64 machine.

You are correct,.. BOINC 64bit sources do not work as BOINC projects look for the i686 binaries and only a 32bit BOINC client will work.
I had to setup BOINC on my 32bit chroot setup in my 64bit environment for it to work, or else it was compiling BOINC from 32bit sources manually.

[XC] Teroedni
03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Likewhoa
What about gentoo and 32 vs 64 bit. Will a Stage 1 64 bit gentoo be faster than a Stage 1 32 bit gentoo or will it be the same?

I then think on
Compilling
cpu usage
startup off program
video encoding
etc

What will be better with a 64 bit vs a 32 bit on a K8 processor?
Thanks for your insight:cool:

likewhoa
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
64bit all the way, you will still be able to run your 32bit applications and experience faster responce with 64bit programs, video encoding benifits from 64bit since you're not tie down to 4GB of memory like in a 32bit environment.

[XC] Teroedni
03-07-2007, 02:47 PM
hmm so You get differences in Gentoo.
What about compilling and the other stuff?

When i was using Ubuntu 64 bit it was not faster than 32 bit, only difference was that the 64 bit used more memory:mad:

likewhoa
03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
hmm so You get differences in Gentoo.
What about compilling and the other stuff?

When i was using Ubuntu 64 bit it was not faster than 32 bit, only difference was that the 64 bit used more memory:mad:

You won't notice an overall difference in speed, but in multi-threaded applications, raw data access, encryption and video encoding you will. plus 64bit has mature now and it's not like it use to be were alot didn't work. so it doesn't hurt nor is a risk using it, you only can look forward to a gain in performance and 64bit computing :) that's not to say 64bit is faster at everything because that's not true yea..

Jinxxed
03-08-2007, 08:42 PM

No, not really, compiling crap from scratch means absolutely nothing besides wasting time, it's not faster either, in test after test after test it has been shown to be as fast or as slow as packages compiled for any other distro.

IOW, gentoo is a waste of time, you don't learn much either since you pretty mush have to follow the handbook to be able to compile the system, it does not adhere to any Linus standards either, only to it's own.

If you want to learn Gentoo, install Gentoo, if you want to learn Linux, install Slackware.

SuSE is a nice distro that allows you to do your things manually while keeping track of the system when you need to uupgrade, and yeah, you need to do that quite often.

likewhoa
03-08-2007, 09:01 PM
you are ignorant.

SlicerSV
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
actually, both of you have claimed your share of BS and your share of facts. it IS true that INACCURATE benches have shown compiling from scratch not to be any faster. it is FALSE that gentoo ignores standards. it is false that SuSe is a "hand-holder", they're no more of a hand-holder than red hat is, it's just a binary distribution with some attempt at building in a "better" support system (some people argue that man pages are perfectly good already, in fact, better than any "simple" support systems, but that's a different argument)

it is also TRUE that in some limited situations compiling from scratch introduces noticable improvements, but that's not a widespread thing, the typical improvements are hard to detect without very impressive measurement utilities.

the biggest benefit to my view of gentoo over other systems is the level of configurability via "USE" flags. you don't end up in the dependancy hells like the "linux for 30 days" guy was describing, you just set and unset your USE prior to compiling anything, and viola, it's running what you need it to, without any complaint.

Jinxxed
03-08-2007, 09:16 PM
you are ignorant.

Well WOW, that is a real intelligent reply and all, i wonder how i'll ever manage to respond to that.

Explain your complaints and i'll rip you a new one, you don't know the first thing about compilation and you don't know half of what it means to maintain ONE system, i maintain 1200 computers.

likewhoa
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
they're no more of a hand-holder than red hat is
I can't argue with that.

@Jinxxed you're not worth it.

Jinxxed
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
actually, both of you have claimed your share of BS and your share of facts. it IS true that INACCURATE benches have shown compiling from scratch not to be any faster. it is FALSE that gentoo ignores standards. it is false that SuSe is a "hand-holder", they're no more of a hand-holder than red hat is, it's just a binary distribution with some attempt at building in a "better" support system (some people argue that man pages are perfectly good already, in fact, better than any "simple" support systems, but that's a different argument)

I started with VMS and Unix V3 headed on to Linux, you show me ONE benchmark in a real world situation that actually proves any benefit of compiling and i'll show you ten that shows the opposite, does that sound like a fair deal.

Red Hat if you even knew what you were talking about is not a "free" distro and we are not talking about SuSE we're talking about OpenSuSE , you don't really know your arse from your elbow, do you?

You are obviously drunk and /or stupid, go to bed and make sure to drink a lot of water.

Next time you feel the need to reply to a thead, please read up on the subject.

Jinxxed
03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I can't argue with that.

@Jinxxed you're not worth it.

Sure you can't argue with that, since OpenSUSE is an open distro and Red Hat is locked in.

Gentoo is pure crap ane anyone who has ever spent time compiling someing real, like KDE knows that while you may have no clue about you're doing and while you don't learn anything, it takes a crapload of time before your computer becomes usable.

Gentoo is like a bunch of scritps that you run to compile the crap you want instead of downloading it, put a Gentoo man on Slack and he wouldn't have a clue, or Red Hat, he wouldn't know where to start, on SuSE.. well he probably heard me mentioning yast.

Truth is, you want to learn Gentoo and spend a week setting up your system right, sure then Gentoo is for you,

You want to learn learn linux, install slack, configure it, it has everything it works, in fact it is a wonder in simplicity and most of all it is STABLE.

Not even Gentoo stable is stable and they don't even have branches, you update you update to the latest, pre alpha known to wreck every box software.

It's why Gentoo folkes like it, if's kinda like installing w98 over and over and over, for three days and when you're done, it's broken, fix it? not a gentoo freak, he'll start from scratch.

PIC, there is not one company i know of that runs Gentoo, and for very obvious reasons.

For those who wonder, i'm not here ot push Red Hat, i am a Novell employed programmer but that changes nothing of what i said.