PDA

View Full Version : Going for HVAC certifications; please help

L33T
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd like to earn HVAC certifications for an anticipated xtreme project in the future... What would you guys recommend as the best places to take the tests?

I found numerous sites online, including this one: http://www.epatest.com/. It has R-410a certification test, but you've gotta take the Section 608 test first...

Now I'm a mechE, but I'm not really familiar with the tests that you can take for certifications....so any input is really appreciated, thanks!

Exahertz
02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
section 608 from mainstream (aka epatest.com) is quite easy. and i like the format of mainstream's test. highly recomended

Brettbeck
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I would go to your nearest HVAC store and ask what you have to do and where you have to go to acquire all the licences you need. They can cost quite a bit as far as I know too.

L33T
02-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Really? See that's the thing. I'm hoping to not spend that much, because this is mainly for my hobby. Granted, it can contribute partially to my overall mechE experience, but I'm not doing the heat transfer concentration... When you say "a lot"... I guess I have no concept of how much these things cost... The ones on that site cost something like $36 for one of the tests =(

Brettbeck
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe the best thing to do would be to buy a good book on refrigeration in general. Then pass the appropriate tests that will allow you to buy certain refrigerants, as well as all about recovering the stuff :).

L33T
02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Yea a book would be a good idea... I figured I'd start reading the online autotutorial manual, since it is free for download. That way I can get a general idea for now.

L33T
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Okay I've done more reading, but I haven't started looking for books yet; I'll do that later this week.

* Type I - A Type I technician primarily works on small appliances such as domestic refrigerators, window air conditioners, PTAC's and vending machines.
* Type II - A Type II technician primarily works on equipment using a high pressure refrigerant such as HCFC-22. The equipment includes residential air conditioners and heat pumps, supermarket refrigeration and process refrigeration.
* Type III - A Type III technician primarily works on equipment using a low pressure refrigerant such as HCFC-123 or CFC-11. The units are primarily chillers.
* Universal - Any candidate passing all three of these EPA types is certified as UNIVERSAL.

What sort of tests would you need, out of the three? I suppose Type III mentions chillers... but are these the chillers used by XF guys, or are they something factory-sized and quite inappropriate?

n00b 0f l337
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Type 1

L33T
02-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey, NOL ^__^

Ok so those other two are like for ginormous systems, correct?

I suppose I should take the proctored exam; it seems a bit more legit... plus it'll guarantee that I'll at some point remembered enough information...?

EDIT: OT, but did you guys know that you can edit the title of your thread from the thread list view by dbl-clicking the thread (the box part, but not the title hyper link)?

star882
02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Just go for the universal. Most single stage DDs are type I but some large cascades and chillers are type II. Type III is generally high temperature equipment like industrial machines and water distillers.

L33T
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Alright Universal it is then. That implies I'll have to take it proctored no matter what, which was what I was planning on doing anyway.

L33T
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey I can't seem to find out where I need to take the tests. There aren't any places near my home according to EPA's site:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/technicians/608certs.html

runmc
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Maybe you should get a book and learn your A B C's and then you can think about getting your certification. :)

L33T
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Well I'd like to know what my time frame is. Actually, I've already memorized everything I need to know for section 1 of the exam. I need to know the time frame to determine how best to approach this. I will be in different regions, so I will be timing my exam based on where I will be.