PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for the short to medium term

[XC] riptide
02-20-2007, 06:44 AM
So... n values have broken 13XXXXXXX and with that scores get a little harder to get as n increases over time.

Now heres the strategy. SBQUEUE. You'll find the info about SBQ in the sticky.

Basically what I try and do is download a full months worth (or 3 weeks anyway) and keep it in the Queue. And everytime a test finishes i Dl another 1 or 2. The goal is to always have a few weeks work Q'd up. don't Dl more than a month or else they'll be seen as dead tests if they are not worked on and returned within a month. Why all this you ask?

Well, as i predict that the n vaules of tests will keep increasing for a while, in a months time I'll be working on a n vaule, that was Dl'ed today. Most other people will be working on an n value that will be higher than this. therefore slightly less credits.
In effect you'll be always a few weeks ahead on the n values, while the normal Joe Schmos will be crunchin current and in most cases higher n values.

This will give our small number of crunchers the edge.

Helheim
08-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Hmm maybe I'll have to try this, is this how you are doing those dumps every few days? How long before you pass me for good? :)

[XC] gomeler
08-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I did this same thing in PSP:S, I reserved a chunk that easily was going to take me a few months just so that I'd get some denser ranges. It really sucks when you see the newer ranges reporting duplicates and simply no values.

[XC] riptide
08-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Hmm maybe I'll have to try this, is this how you are doing those dumps every few days? How long before you pass me for good? :)

Well helheim, considering my post above is back in Feb, can't say i didn't share the wisdom. :up:

Would you believe that i have crunchers not on the permanent net. Some dumps are done using a bluetooth USB connection to my cell phone for some PC's. :)

The dumps with SBQueue are more of a convenience also as well as startegy. Reporting to SBQue rules out DNS, or network problems that can slow the client down sometimes.
I estimate the next DUMP i will do will the last time i will have to pass you, even though one of my machines is limping on single channel ram.

If you want another free tip... for dual/quads get yourself some very fast ram, and clock it. Doesn't have to be 1:1. The ram has a VERY dramatic effect on this. So much so that I would wager that the bandwith is never enough regardless of possible ram speed. I'm guessing you may already know this.. others may not.

EDIT: Would it help to know that one of your former DX's helped me get 1st. :) :sofa: :)

Helheim
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
So how many computers do you have running SOB?

riptide;2368164']Well helheim, considering my post above is back in Feb, can't say i didn't share the wisdom. :up:

Would you believe that i have crunchers not on the permanent net. Some dumps are done using a bluetooth USB connection to my cell phone for some PC's. :)

The dumps with SBQueue are more of a convenience also as well as startegy. Reporting to SBQue rules out DNS, or network problems that can slow the client down sometimes.
I estimate the next DUMP i will do will the last time i will have to pass you, even though one of my machines is limping on single channel ram.

If you want another free tip... for dual/quads get yourself some very fast ram, and clock it. Doesn't have to be 1:1. The ram has a VERY dramatic effect on this. So much so that I would wager that the bandwith is never enough regardless of possible ram speed. I'm guessing you may already know this.. others may not.

EDIT: Would it help to know that one of your former DX's helped me get 1st. :) :sofa: :)

[XC] riptide
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
C2D @ 1.83 (T60 No OC :( )
DX (PCH-DL) @ 3.0Ghz
QX6700 @ 3.2Ghz
QX6700 @ 3.6Ghz
E6600 @ 3.2Ghz. (waiting for rma ram to get back to full speed)
P4 2.4Ghz Lappy.

^^^^^^^^^^Not all the time on SOB ... but recently full blast. Had a major RAM blowup/shortage that put a QX67 out for a week.

Have already started BOINC on the QX6700 @ 3.6 so its jostling with SOB. :)

[XC] riptide
12-26-2007, 08:24 AM
OK. Rechencraft are limping along at 19 days out at the moment. I'll be making that a little shorter. ;) They're going down.