PDA

View Full Version : Question to a serious FSB increaser...

damn1
06-25-2002, 07:07 PM
do you suppose two missing caps next to memory on KX7-333 could improve stability, and if so, where do i look up what needs to go there..? (Abit Spec sheets) Where do i learn how to solder something like that?

Marci
06-26-2002, 05:17 AM
if they're not there, they're not there for a reason... don't go down that road m8, it's untouched territory that will shag your board... you don't know for definite whether the circuit paths are present amidst the layers etc, it's all FAR too risky... if it were possible, Icee & Opp would probably have done it by now and told us it was possible etc.

Learning how to solder?? Touch soldering iron to point you want to solder. Touch solder to point you want to solder. Done. It's no different per component, just vary amount of heat and amount of solder depndiing upon sensitivity to heat etc of what it is your soldering.

To improve stability just do the KX7 vmem mod with 50k vr and wang it up to 3v. More volts at default fsb = more stability. When running my system at default clock speeds I always make sure I give it more juice than default...

damn1
06-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Manufacturers don't install caps for a reason. A cap costs money, and two caps cost double the money... I bet it's ready to be installed (pcb designed for it), and i also bet it would increase stability on DRAM stix. Um, i was gonna say something... Oh! The caps are prolly the same as the other arge ones, in fact, the larger the cap, the more stability.. I'm thinkin 4700mF...

damn1
06-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Oh, and to add to the puzle, i bet the cap next to the hipoint chip would help too.

LORD
06-28-2002, 09:09 AM
I remember I installed an extra cap on an ABIT board. It was one of the ones next to the cpu socket.

To make the story short. It didn't really seem to improve anything. Perhaps at some point it may do something, but not really worth the effort IMHO.

damn1
06-28-2002, 10:50 AM
How did you do it? Any tricks?

LORD
06-29-2002, 08:35 AM
No not really any tricks involved. Simply get the right value cap.

Clean out the solder already there on the PCB. Pass the cap legs through this and solder. Only trick is, you solder from the rear of the board and try not to heat the cap too much. Oh, and you have to make certain positive and negative are in the right location.

I know why you want to do this. To try and O/C further....;)

Really, I think it's a waste of your time. Worst case scenario is you can ruin the board....:o

damn1
06-29-2002, 09:18 AM
i don't expect it to help me OCing it further, just gain better stability at high FSBs...

bmg
06-29-2002, 09:54 AM
I've wondered about adding capacitance also. I haven't bothered on a motherboard but have tried it on a video card with inconclusive results. On my great overclocking PNY 4600 (may it Rest In Peace) I changed the 470uf caps on the vcore supply to 820uf low ESR caps. It seemed to improve overclocking slightly, but it would be hard to quantify the improvement. My original Visiontek board came with the same 820uf caps that I put on the PNY. It does make sense that at high current loads more capacitance would be an improvement, as long as the caps are high quality with low ESR (equivalent series resistance).:D