View Full Version : watercooling window unit -need opinions

jeffeulogy
02-18-2007, 09:13 AM
i've built an external watercooler that fits in a window frame just like an AC unit. the box has a submerged maxijet 1200 that pumps into a bonneville heater-core and then to pvc pipe that runs right up to my computer desk.

i haven't set up the loop inside the PC yet. i have a D5 that will receive the waterflow and accelerate it before it runs the loop. i also have a chevette heater-core that i'm wondering what to do with. would i benefit by putting it in the loop before the cpu block? the temperature is about 35F outside right now so i'm kind of worried that by doing so i'll be creating condensation problems throughout the case. on the other hand it could improve cooling for the mosfets, HDDs, video card, and everything else that's relying on air-cooling at the moment. how thoroughly do i need to insulate?

thanks to anyone that provide any input, you guys are all smarter than me.

jeffeulogy
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
when it's 90F i'll lower my overclock and enjoy my computer room without all that heat dump from the rads staying indoors. this project was more about getting rid of fan noise and keeping the room tolerable than anything.

hopper
02-18-2007, 07:42 PM
i would bet money that if you ran fans on in in the summer,, and you enclosed the fans so the room side has foam,, i bet you couldnt tell if the fans were on (4x yl's) i know your doing this to get rid of fans but... if the room side had foam filter i think you would still be silent you know what i mean

have you ever used a yate loon fan? or a nexus... i hadnt befor my w/c rig ... my w/c has more fans than 2x120mm and 2x80 and the whole setup is a fraction as loud as a stock "regular" single 120mm... my old be sounded like being inside a jet lol

Mr. Peanut
02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
You should be fine. There are people that bury 12 feet of copper tubing under snow and don't get sub-ambient, so I don't see why you should.