PDA

View Full Version : EpiOS

KingThot
02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I recently got a VIA M10000 based system and I'm curious how much of a performance enhancer it is to run epiOS over a different distro.

I'm also at a loss at to where to locate epiOS as the epiOS.net site seems to be worthless at the moment with everything other than the main page displaying something along the lines of "currently unavailable."

Does anyone know where I can find an ISO image if epiOS is indeed worth having?

nn_step
02-17-2007, 12:52 PM
well it is supposedly a Gentoo based OS, made specifically for the hardware.
and honestly I don't know if it is worth having. It also says nothing about how it is better or improved verse Gentoo

KingThot
02-17-2007, 01:27 PM
hmmm.... I wish I could at least find a place to download so I can test it out but like I said before the site looks straight up dead. Maybe I should take it as a sign that it was a crappy distro.

Jinxxed
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
hmmm.... I wish I could at least find a place to download so I can test it out but like I said before the site looks straight up dead. Maybe I should take it as a sign that it was a crappy distro.

Just install Gentoo from stage1 and compile it for your system.

It's not that hard but it takes a week or so.

Or install Slackware on it and watch it fly without optimizations.

epiOS was a crappy distro, just like Gentoo.

nn_step
02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Just install Gentoo from stage1 and compile it for your system.

It's not that hard but it takes a week or so.

Or install Slackware on it and watch it fly without optimizations.

epiOS was a crappy distro, just like Gentoo.
or build your own http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/index.html
but that isn't the easiest thing to do though. But you can get far more performance and customization than you ever could with gentoo

Jinxxed
02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
or build your own http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/index.html
but that isn't the easiest thing to do though. But you can get far more performance and customization than you ever could with gentoo

No you don't, what you get is a system as specialized as Gentoo for your HW (which test after test have shown doesn't matter at all and is in some cases slower) but without a decent package manager.

I am surprised someone who created a micro-kernel and drivers for all hardware for it, a windows emulation api and so on don't get that specialized compiling will break things more often than it will make them faster.

Just use a standard distro, it's faster anyway.

[XC] Teroedni
02-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I recently got a VIA M10000 based system and I'm curious how much of a performance enhancer it is to run epiOS over a different distro.

I'm also at a loss at to where to locate epiOS as the epiOS.net site seems to be worthless at the moment with everything other than the main page displaying something along the lines of "currently unavailable."

Does anyone know where I can find an ISO image if epiOS is indeed worth having?

I would suggest you try Ubuntu instead as it are far more easily too manage that Gentoo. Ofcourse it is your decission, but trust me its far more difficult and time consuming to do a Gentoo install than a Ubuntu;)

Here is a qoute from a site where a linux user say the same thing

Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?
* Author: Georg Holderied |
* Date: 21-03-2006 |
* Posted in: home / comp.os.linux.setup |
* Show original

Luis wrote:

I am about to buy a Mini-ITX fanless PC in order to use it as my
personal host machine.

- Which is the best Linux distribution for this? I am an advanced
Windows XP user but I have very basic skills on Linux, so I would need
some simple distribution that does not need the kernel to be recompiled
or some other manual installation steps.

Speaking from my experience with trying various linux distros on epia
mini-itx boards I can recommend ubuntu / kubuntu as the easiest to install
and everything working out of the box.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://www.kubuntu.org/

For a server with remote administration this is perfect.

To get the most horsepower out of an anemic cpu you can install gentoo,

http://www.gentoo.org/

where everything is compiled during the installation and therefore optimized
for your hardware.

However the Gentoo installation is not for the novice.
Be prepared for many nights of painful frustration.
I only got my Gentoo going with the help of a friend who has a PhD in

Gentooology :-)
Once it is running, administration is a breeze.

For security Debian is a good choice because it can automatilally download
and install all security updates every day.
That's what we're using for the web server where I work and we're happy with

it.

http://www.us.debian.org/

George

KingThot
02-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Nice nice, I'm using Ubuntu on the laptop I'm using right now and it is indeed a breeze. Thanks for all the advice/help.

SlicerSV
02-20-2007, 08:19 AM
i'll be the dissenting vote here and say that gentoo is a wonderful thing, LFS would be pointless except as a learning experience, but gentoo has the single best package manager in the world, allows you to control your dependency tree, and is far more up to date than most other distros. on a rare occasion gentoo actually does give a performance boost, but it's not worth anything much.

gentoo, however, isn't for the faint of heart, it can prove to be very difficult to use, and it requires a good deal of patience for the sometimes enormous compile times to finish up. though xorg surprised me my last update, since it went modular, what used to be one of the worst is only just a little worse than the initial bootstrapping.

Jinxxed
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
i'll be the dissenting vote here and say that gentoo is a wonderful thing, LFS would be pointless except as a learning experience, but gentoo has the single best package manager in the world, allows you to control your dependency tree, and is far more up to date than most other distros. on a rare occasion gentoo actually does give a performance boost, but it's not worth anything much.

gentoo, however, isn't for the faint of heart, it can prove to be very difficult to use, and it requires a good deal of patience for the sometimes enormous compile times to finish up. though xorg surprised me my last update, since it went modular, what used to be one of the worst is only just a little worse than the initial bootstrapping.

I'd say it's pretty much a dead race between the five foremost package managers and compiling is just silly nowadays anyway.

If you want to learn Gentoo, run Gentoo, if you want to learn Linux, run Slackware.

SlicerSV
02-23-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd say it's pretty much a dead race between the five foremost package managers and compiling is just silly nowadays anyway.

If you want to learn Gentoo, run Gentoo, if you want to learn Linux, run Slackware.
i just got done doing a direct feature comparison between apt and portage, portage does local trees integration, apt does not. they are generally equal otherwise, including that gentoo does have some binary ebuilds. slackware's package management may as well not exist, you need to hunt everything down on the web yourself, rather than just looking for it in your package trees.

Jinxxed
02-24-2007, 08:38 AM
i just got done doing a direct feature comparison between apt and portage, portage does local trees integration, apt does not. they are generally equal otherwise, including that gentoo does have some binary ebuilds. slackware's package management may as well not exist, you need to hunt everything down on the web yourself, rather than just looking for it in your package trees.

SMART seems like the best to date when it comes to package managers (excluding BSD's excellent ports-pkg system).

Slackware has a lot of package managers not supplied by Patrick V (apart from slapt.-get there is SMART which may very well be the best package manager ever produced) to download a lot of packages not provided by Patrick V.

For the regular Slackware packages the provided package manager is pretty much all you will ever need.

If you need more, use something other than Slackware, Slackwares strenght is reliability and simplicity.

(obviously you don't know anything about Slackware though, if you are running a desktop then linuxpackages does provide a load of packages for it, however, using them defeats the purpose of using Slackware in my not so humble opinion).

If you prefer Gentoo, more power to ya, i was just objecting to the idea that Gentoo teaches you anything else than Gentoo.