PDA

View Full Version : Is it my CPU or is it my DIMM?

DoNoT.O.C
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi,

Have a question!
How can I determine which one needs an increase in Voltage is it the CPU or the RAM?
This question came to me when I reached a wall of FSB and I was wondering at this time what could be the reason behind this wall is it a CPU hungry for Vs or are they my DIMMs?

:stick:

Thanks

jimmyz
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
need to be more specific but most often cpu needs volts sooner. also does it freeze or blue screen or reboot? reboot is usually cpu freeze or bsod is ram.

DoNoT.O.C
02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jim,

Never blue screens but always reboots
I do not know how to be more specific, for the truth I do not fully understand what I am talking about but truly I feel it
You know sometimes we cannot explain things so well although we feel them
But your reply is helping some for sure
First I was reaching 400 as a wall I increased the CPU Voltage to 1.4 and I was able to hit 435 stable but nothing beyond
I have the Ninja air cooling and I am not sure how far I can increase the Voltage, afraid to fry the chip but at 1.4v the Temp was 50C so I wonder how far I can go
What do you think, what Temp I should stop at?

symphy
02-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Temp isn't a really important factor to me. Just try the highest setting your able tu run without problems, set some MHz beyond it and enjoy a 24/setting.

With aircooling, i would not go beyond 1.5 V for 24/7. But i think even higher voltage will not reduce your CPUs lifetime very much...

DoNoT.O.C
02-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Here it is guys I will try to be more specific
I started everything from the begining again:
My memory at 1.8v
Running it at the lowest 533MHz to give a room
I am letting SPD decide my memory timings
My CPU at 1.325v
My 6400 CPU at default speed around 2GHz with FSB 266MHz

Now I started step by step increasing the FSB in an increment of 10MHz at a time which the default was set at 266
I kept going until I reached a wall of 410, I tried 420 with no success

Now I want to learn what is the logical thinking when you start to hit a wall, what first thing to think about, Is it the CPU Voltage? is it the Memory voltage? is it the memory timing?
What the first thing to suspect it could be standing behind this wall?
What thing I should start to change first?

My DRAM setting now is on SPD as I said before, should I now start to make it manual? what is best, is it by tightening the timings or making them loose?...etc

Thanks

justin_c
02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
you havent even posted your system specs. if its conroe, then 1.325v is DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH. loose out the timings on ram, then up the voltage to 1.4v, max out vmch/vfsb, 2.1v mem.

DoNoT.O.C
02-18-2007, 02:36 PM
you havent even posted your system specs. if its conroe, then 1.325v is DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH. loose out the timings on ram, then up the voltage to 1.4v, max out vmch/vfsb, 2.1v mem.
Thanks but your recommendations seem to be a combination of different values, dose this mean that when we think about overclocking we do not think about changing one value at a time and wait for the result?

My timings now according to the SPD are: 5-4-4-12

And what the M and the C and the H stand for? and is not maxing the Voltage can fry my NB or it should be fine(I do not have any fans over the NB)?

DoNoT.O.C
02-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi guys,

I tried to push for more, I did not change anything from my settings except the the CPU voltage and ofcourse the FSB
At 1.5000v I was able to push my CPU toward 2.6 GH at 450 I tried to push beyond toward 460 but I was not able to, or at least I was not able to enter windows, I tried to increase more CPU v beyond 1.5 but that did not help

I tried to loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 or 18 plus increasing the Voltage I was able to login to windows one time and I did not survive for long, my computer crashed and restarted
My CPU Temp right according to Core Temp 55C

Any other suggestions?

Thanks