PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCW6500 Released

epion2985
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Swiftech MCW6002 replacement is here:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCW6500-T1.asp

Also before anyone yells "aluminum top OMG OMG" the top is electroless nickel and zinc cobalt plated so no galvanic or any other corrosion issues are of concern.

Just wish there was a gpu version now.

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/6734MCW6500TMB.png

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/67108MCW6500T1.png

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/58127MCW6500housing.png
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/61448MCW6500baseplate.png
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/42236MCW6500coldplate.png

Polizei
02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I dont think TEC's are really budget blocks...

Solarfall
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
the block looks quite nice to me :slobber:
defineatly NOT a budjet block $159.95

Petra
02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
There is a GPU version, kinda... the MCW60-T. That aside, have you checked the pressure drop on that thing? Nearly 6psig @ 1GPM (that's about double the pressure drop of a Storm, according to Swiftech)!

epion2985
02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh... sorry.. Its a TEC unit block. Doesn't look that great a design to me. It looks much too much like a D-Tek.

oh really... where is your phd in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics to be judging how well it performs just by the looks... :rolleyes:

While its not on the market yet but from what I understand it is supposed to perform better then the mcw6002, and if it does then it succeeded in replacing it.

I dont think TEC's are really budget blocks...

Is someone saying they are? What are you talking about :confused:

There is a GPU version, kinda... the MCW60-T. That aside, have you checked the pressure drop on that thing? Nearly 6psig @ 1GPM (that's about double the pressure drop of a Storm, according to Swiftech)!

It performs like its meant to so why worry about what flow and what turbulence and what this and that it etc. It can hold 150w load at 10C with the kited tec, sounds good to me.

Spawne32
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
how well do tec coolers perform compared to regular blocks and how much power do u need to run them? say 2 perhaps?

Capt Proton
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Why don't you chill with the sarcasm epinion2985? An educated, fact based response is a much better way to express your opinion, and show somebody else that they may want to keep from making broad statements without something to show the validity of what they express.

Polizei
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Is someone saying they are? What are you talking about :confused:

Yes, IanY said it was a budget block, and then corrected himself.

Confuses the hell out of me. Is this supposed to be the higher end Apogee GT, or is this supposed to be the mid-end second level block? Or is this the budget block?

Edit:

Oh... sorry.. Its a TEC unit block. Doesn't look that great a design to me. It looks much too much like a D-Tek.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Guys, from a person who TEC's and TEC'd, this is probably going to be one of the better TEC blocks ever. Very well done by Swiftech.

serialk11r
02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
how well do tec coolers perform compared to regular blocks and how much power do u need to run them? say 2 perhaps?
Check out the TEC section. TECs eat power up and are super inefficient by the way.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
^^
When USED INCORRECTLY.

npk
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
wish they sell the block only, without the tec. Looks great for chillers.

cyberspyder
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
:stick: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133467

snowwie
02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
why the comparison with the MCW6002? the 6000 was NOT a TEC block by any means, this is. Not even being sold as a non-TEC block. They're probably only selling it because of Gabe's love affair with TECs for cooling CPUs. They are like bongs, no one really uses them anymore (and for good reason), despite what noob of leet says.

serialk11r
02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
WTF man don't insult bongs. They are awesome, just different from radiators. They need babysitting and are harder to contain, but they're very very effective!!! and don't insult noob of leet, he's awesome. And what do you mean no one uses them? There are people who do, and what is your good reason? There are measures you can take to make bongs work well and not get contaminated too. In fact I want to make a miniature bong sometime, it'll be more for the "wow":P

snowwie
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
okay, he's awsome, and so are bongs. However, my statement was from an engineering persective, not that of a hobby. I understand we are all hobbyists, and as a hobby watercooling is fun, especially when undertaken with peltiers and/or bongs. However, as a system for cooling your computer, TECs and bongs are the last places you should be looking.

With apple towers with cooling loops and pumps being designed and manufactured _specifically_ for watercooling, these days it's much less a hobby and more so a cooling alternative. Contrary to 12-18 months ago, _nobody_ recommends a heatercore for your rad or even 1/2" ID tubing anymore. My statement is merely expressing the trend in watercooling: more effective systems, performance, aesthetics, and cost all considered.

epion2985
02-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Guys, from a person who TEC's and TEC'd, this is probably going to be one of the better TEC blocks ever. Very well done by Swiftech.

my thoughts exactly :)

wish they sell the block only, without the tec. Looks great for chillers.

I emailed Gabe about this and weather there will be a gpu version. I'll post his reply when I get it.

why the comparison with the MCW6002? the 6000 was NOT a TEC block by any means, this is. Not even being sold as a non-TEC block. They're probably only selling it because of Gabe's love affair with TECs for cooling CPUs. They are like bongs, no one really uses them anymore (and for good reason), despite what noob of leet says.

Wrong. mcw6002 was a pelt block, and is/was up until now the best pelt block on the market. Also Gabe said this is the replacement for it, making the comparison himself.

Also plenty of people use tecs, I use tecs as well. They are great, there is a trade off like with everything, they do need a lot more power in comparison to phase change to move the same amount of heat however they are also light and as silent. To each its own.

snowwie
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
When the MCW-6000 first came out, bill adams, the designer, stated that the block was not compatible with TECs

and he didn't mean just out of the box. He meant that the direct impingement and water flow patterns of the block were designed for effective chip cooling, not TEC cooling. akin to using the RBX or white water for TECs. Moreover, I don't think the bottom of the block was really large enough for a 5cm sq TEC, esp. if you had the socket A version.

These are just my recollections. LOL don't start telling me that swiftech actually sold a TEC version of the 6000.

epion2985
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
When the MCW-6000 first came out, bill adams, the designer, stated that the block was not compatible with TECs

and he didn't mean just out of the box. He meant that the direct impingement and water flow patterns of the block were designed for effective chip cooling, not TEC cooling. akin to using the RBX or white water for TECs. Moreover, I don't think the bottom of the block was really large enough for a 5cm sq TEC, esp. if you had the socket A version.

These are just my recollections. LOL don't start telling me that swiftech actually sold a TEC version of the 6000.

First of all 6002 not 6000, second you are confusing the mcw6002 with the storm.... the 6002 has a HUGE cooling area and no impingement jets:

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw6002.asp

cyberspyder
02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
my thoughts exactly :)

I emailed Gabe about this and weather there will be a gpu version. I'll post his reply when I get it.

Wrong. mcw6002 was a pelt block, and is/was up until now the best pelt block on the market. Also Gabe said this is the replacement for it, making the comparison himself.

Also plenty of people use tecs, I use tecs as well. They are great, there is a trade off like with everything, they do need a lot more power in comparison to phase change to move the same amount of heat however they are also light and as silent. To each its own.

Even better than the Wintsch Labs' Arctic Web?...THus looks exactly like the Apogee GT. I'd rather get the latter, since I can then put up to a 320W Pelt on it.

Brendan

nikhsub1
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
AFAIK there was never an MCW600x TEC block... The 600x series did have a huge area but it was an impingement block.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 04:19 PM
6002 was never impingement, but when it was first released many many many of us converted them to TEC blocks by adding a coldplate and mounting system. It was not an impingement block but more of an apogee with a redirected M curve flow, I still have some, a few 6000 as well.

As for GPU version of this? Its perfect right now for a 8800GTX with that large IHS, but others should work just fine. Just get some 90 degree elbows out of the block from McMaster. If someone can get dimensions of the top (and I'll talk with petra), we could possibly get some custom tops made for GPU's.

nikhsub1
02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
6002 was never impingement,
It certainly is, I guess it depends on your definition of impingement. Had a tapered inlet for impingement.

IanY
02-14-2007, 04:44 PM
My PhD degree is contained on a couple pieces of plastic in my wallet :) And I'll express whatever opinion I want, when I want, and I wouldn't need to justify my opinion to anybody :)

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
By my definition, I call an impingement block something with jets generally. A single jet is not enough to call it impingement.

nikhsub1
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
By my definition, I call an impingement block something with jets generally. A single jet is not enough to call it impingement.
By my definition, if a block ACCELERATES the liquid into the base, it is impingement. Apogee = not impingement.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Then just about every damn block is impingement now is it? We can't use that to classify anymore then. :P

Bloody_Sorcerer
02-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Now this is a man's TEC block. It doesn't specify baseplate dimensions, but it can take a 50x50 pelt... pretty kickass.

And yeah, go ahead and flame TECs... no one cares.

And snowwie, no the 600x blocks were never sold as TEC blocks, but were frequently modded to do so, where they were probably one of the best TEC blocks ever used.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
LoL *cries*

Praxis1452
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I looked and it's about triple... Needing a DDC+ to run this effectively?

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Thats because the pin area's are now so tight together.

afireinside
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Does anyone actually USE TECs? I see nol saying people convert 6002s and run TECs and they work well and stuff but I have not once in recent history see anyone use TECs with the exception of one or two people getting sub water grade clocks on A64s.

nikhsub1
02-14-2007, 06:27 PM
That aside, have you checked the pressure drop on that thing? Nearly 6psig @ 1GPM (that's about double the pressure drop of a Storm, according to Swiftech)!
Yep. No doubt due to the incredibly low deck height of the top. The water can't pass OVER the pins at all, it must go through them. This should be the best tec block so far really.

n00b 0f l337
02-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Personally I don't worry bout pressure drop while I run a mag3 or mag5 or even an iwaki. :P

epion2985
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Does anyone actually USE TECs? I see nol saying people convert 6002s and run TECs and they work well and stuff but I have not once in recent history see anyone use TECs with the exception of one or two people getting sub water grade clocks on A64s.

I do and so do two of my friends. Also see pelts on forums a lot that do but you have to know where to look, in overclock threads by temperature, sigs etc. But as with all high end cooling you don't see people posting it left and right as much, these people don't get it to brag about on the web and keep to themselves. Water coolers I think are the most "brag/show loving community".

This should be the best tec block so far really.

mmm I trust your experience, this makes me anxious to try it :)

Personally I don't worry bout pressure drop while I run a mag3 or mag5 or even an iwaki. :P

*cough *cough rd30 *cough :p:

nikhsub1
02-14-2007, 09:18 PM
mmm I trust your experience, this makes me anxious to try it :)

For the record I have never used a TEC...

Baenwort
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM

I've got a 237w TEC on my x1950 right now. When I goto R600 I'm looking for a good TEC block that can handle a 320W or more TEC for it. If this can handle a bigger TEC and be moded to fit on a GPU I'm all over it. :slobber:

[XC] DragonOrta
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
I might have to get a TEC to put on my 6002.

STEvil
02-14-2007, 11:29 PM
MCW6002's take 50mm tecs if they are flat base and you build a little extra peice or two.. need to finish mine up.

snowwie
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
guys, I am aware that people have used them as TEC blocks, but it doesn't change the fact that BillA specifically expressed it's not intended for TECs. The cooling area of the mcw6000 (which, for the record, is essentially the same as the mcw6002 except for barb size) is NOT 5 cm sq. It's smaller, concentrated in the middle. The flux from the copper base may make it effective for TEC use, but I daresay it's not as perfect a block for TEC use as you all say it is.

epion, I am confused about nothing. The mcw600x does use impingement in the center inlet and the cooling area is concentrated in the middle of the block.

I'd search the procooling forums for BillA's quote and the picture of the mcw6000 innards which show the stains on the copper from the fluid at higher velocities which demonstrate (vaguely) the actual cooling area of the block, but searching for anything through those 30 or so mega-long threads that contain useful info is a PITA.

epion2985
02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
but I daresay it's not as perfect a block for TEC use as you all say it is.

perfect enough, it appears to be the best thing on the market.

The mcw600x does use impingement in the center inlet and the cooling area is concentrated in the middle of the block.

well the cooling in front of the inlet will be better in almost all blocks, I fail to see your point. Just because its "marginally" better in the center doesn't mean the rest of the block is rendered useless.

Fairydust
02-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I am impressed Swiftech gave a good performance diagram showing that it's not the highest performing solution in every scenario, unlike some other TEC vendors that only show snapshots of optimally suited circumstances for their product and conceal power consumption in the small print.