PDA

View Full Version : Building first computer - mobo installation question

Salamander 2
02-14-2007, 06:48 AM
I am trying to install the Bad Axe 2 mobo in an Antec P180 case. I can only get 4 of the 10 screws to go in securely. The other screws turn round and round and nevcer go into the mount. I tried different screws to see and that didn't work. I've tried reseating the mobo about 4 times now. Any advice?

Order
02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Do you have a case that has a removable motherboard tray? If so, that really helps. Also, have you made sure that you're using the right size screws?

Salamander 2
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Do you have a case that has a removable motherboard tray? If so, that really helps. Also, have you made sure that you're using the right size screws?

No, and yes.

Kizz
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
If the screws aren't the issue the other obvious area is the threads in the standoffs - if you have spare standoffs I'd try replacing the ones that won't screw, or at a pinch try a screw in the ones that do work and the ones that don't work - if they're all identical standoffs and the screws only work in some chances are the threads are stripped (seems a bit odd for a new case though). The only other problem I would forsee is that the standoffs aren't screwed into the backplate securely enough and are rotating with the screws, in which case a pair of pliers would come in handy :) .

Hope this helps.

Salamander 2
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
There were two sets of smaller sized screws. One set (which Antec told me to use) have a head that is similar to the large HDD screws. I finally tried the other small set of screws, and they worked just fine.

Why Antec doesn't include a picture of the screws (labeled appropriately) in the directions is beyond me - maybe they they newbies don't try to build using this case?

Omastar
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Standoffs really need to be screwed in with needle nose pliers or similar quite forcefully if you don't want to inadvertently take the standoff out when unscrewing a mobo screw. I've done it before and it's a pain in the ass.

Altered
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
I have received some cases that had 2 different size standoffs. I am not talking about height I am talking about thread size. Admittedly they were cheaper cases so I wasn't to annoyed. I just dug in my stockpile of old parts and found some screws that fit. I Have to kind of think Kizz is possibly on the right track until proven wrong.