PDA

View Full Version : Can't feel the water temp?

cjoe
02-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Here is a strange situation: According to Smart Guardian, my CPU temp under Orthos (Small FFTs) is 63C.

However, when I touch the tubing or any part of the WC system, I cannot feel the temperature. Actually it feels cooler than my hand temp and close to ambient temp. The air from the RADs are cool.

When I turn off the 120 Radiator Fan and 2nd pump, the effect is minimal. With one pump running at 7Watts and the dual 120 fans running very slow on the MCR220, the CPU temp increases 2C.

On my 939 3/8" system, I can feel the temp of the water through the tubing (Video included minimal effect under Orthos). On my C2D 7/16" system, I cannot feel the temp of the CPU and NB which under air hit 72C and 50C respectively. Large diameter tubing more efficient?

Cjoe.

Ramaistro
02-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Allright so you have 2 different systems ? maybe you have a bad mount or the ihs is concave ore something like that. Are there other blocks in that loop ? and how warm are they ?

IanY
02-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Here is a strange situation: According to Smart Guardian, my CPU temp under Orthos (Small FFTs) is 63C.

However, when I touch the tubing or any part of the WC system, I cannot feel the temperature. Actually it feels cooler than my hand temp and close to ambient temp. The air from the RADs are cool.

When I turn off the 120 Radiator Fan and 2nd pump, the effect is minimal. With one pump running at 7Watts and the dual 120 fans running very slow on the MCR220, the CPU temp increases 2C.

On my 939 3/8" system, I can feel the temp of the water through the tubing (Video included minimal effect under Orthos). On my C2D 7/16" system, I cannot feel the temp of the CPU and NB which under air hit 72C and 50C respectively. Large diameter tubing more efficient?

Cjoe.

You may want to check your cpu mounting. I would feel happy if the fluid traveling to the radiator were warm rather than cold.

dinos22
02-13-2007, 06:14 AM
why are you "feeling" the water through tubing/// stick a temp probe in the res

cjoe
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think its a bad mount but I will verify.

I also noticed extremely high temps on air but the heatsink did not feel hot either.

I have lapped the IHS already.

I'm using my hand (poor man's thermometer) because I can't find a 1/2" ID temp sensor probe attachment.

I think the problem is the MB reporting an incorrect temp. I'm going to run TAT to verify. I've done some investigation and other people have register similar complaints that the CPU temp was incorrectly reported.

Thanks.

cjoe

p0tter
02-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Smart Gaurdian doesnt work well for my RD600 (10-15 higher), get coretemp. From what Ive been reading Smart Gaurdian only reports volts correctly.

My Temps right now.
Coretemp 22c
SmartGuardian 36c

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Im on a TDX w/ a rad outside my window. 3.6 @ 1.425v

Polizei
02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Hows that RD600 working out for you, wangerin?

Smart Guardian reports accurate temps for me, AFAIK, Everest reports temps 1-3C higher.

I dont have a DMM, so I cant verify accurate volt readings.

cjoe
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Smart Gaurdian doesnt work well for my RD600 (10-15 higher), get coretemp. From what Ive been reading Smart Gaurdian only reports volts correctly.

My Temps right now.
Coretemp 22c
SmartGuardian 36c

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I've read someone was getting ~25C difference in temp. I wouldn't doubt if my temps were off by at least 15C.

If I turn off the pumps, the CPU temp rises very quickly and the machine shuts down when it hits my Bios shutdown temp.

During Orthos testing under air, I've seen the temp get up to 85C and the heatsink is lukewarm. When the temp on the P5N32-E SLI reaches 60C+, the heatsink is very warm. There must be a temperature problem with the MB & Smart Guardian.

I will inquire with DFI.

Thanks..

cjoe