PDA

View Full Version : Want to run Linux/Ubuntu, gaming concerns

binormalkilla
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I use my system for everything entertainment in my apartment, so I have some concerns before going Linux. I have no fears about the command line, as I used DOS for years before Windows based gaming, and I'm a fast learner.
That being said, I'm getting sick of Windows, so I want to try Linux or Ubuntu.
I have read that in order to run DirectX based games you need to use an emulator such as WineX. I also read that OpenGL is less prone to errors.
So........
How far along has this WineX emulator come? Can most games play using the emulator?
These are the games that I currently play, online and single player:
Battlefield 2/2142/1942
FEAR
Half Life 2
Prey
Quake 4
I use my PC for viewing all of my MPEG files and DVDs. I have it connected to my TV as a monitor, so when I said that I use it for all entertainment, I mean it! I only have high-speed internet; no cable. That being said, I want to make sure that I can find a Linux based OS that supports the following:
DirectX 9
OpenGL x.x
AC3 Filter Codec
XVID Codec
Ogg Vorbis sound codec
MP3 codec
real alternative or equivalent codec

X1950 Pro driver(s)
ATI RD580 Xpress 3200 Crossfire drivers
Maxtor Diamond Max HDD driver
RealTek high definition audio driver (integrated audio)
Thanks in advance for the input, I look forward to switching from the evil resource hogging entity that is Windows......
BTW I can consider dual booting for the transition period.

screwtech02
02-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I too am interested in any Linux/gaming issues... Currently have Fedroa 64 bit, and wondering if it will support Crossfire, ect???

[XC] Teroedni
02-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Wine is come far and can run many games, but there is still games it cant run. Too check if your games is supported , go to this site.

http://appdb.winehq.org/
http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=2

Most of the things you say should work, but you would be wise to have dual boot as the linux system is quite different from the windows one , and you probably meets obstacles and perhaps some games can only work on windows:(.

I would recommend you try Ubuntu

uOpt
02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
WineX doesn't exist anymore. It's now a commercial product named Cedega. It runs quite a few games, including the currently best DirectX to OpenGL converter. And even includes a Safedisk license to play Safedisk protected games which the alternatives lack. I can't use it because the only way to get it is pay through worldpay which is about at the security level of displaying your credit card number on your myspace homepage.

The normal Wine improved a lot, too, as did the commercial variant Crossoveroffice (or whatever they name their gaming product), basically the same code.

In general, OpenGL games run much better than DirectX, the translation layer doesn't really cut it and probably never will for brand new games.

As I said, I don't use Cedega/WineX because of payment issues. I have switched some individual games from a physical Windoze machine to Wine lately but it's not clear whether it stays that way. It's just not perfect. For people with few time on their hands but able to afford an additional $500 for a gaming machine (not counting graphics card) it is questionable whether it's worth the trouble.

I also fixed a bug in Wine and the fix still didn't get an official word of whether it's accepted or need changes after 4 weeks or so.

There's no way a Linux beginner with a lot of current games can have a satisfying experience with any of the above. non-3D games in VMware, yeah that.

Jinxxed
02-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I only run and recommend Linux (specifically Slackware Linux and SuSE Linux) for the overwhelming majority of people but if you are a gamer, stick with windows or buy a console.

I find that what puts most people off from Linux is how hard it is to get their games to work, or in some cases, how impossible it is.

Use Linux first, and get used to it, you have used Windows for many a years, it takes a bit to get familiar with Linux coming from windows (and i do wish the Ubuntu people would stop saying it doesn't) but if you run it on an unimportant machine or an unimportant partition, even if you manage to crash it thouroughly or there is something you just don't know how to do, you still have your windows box/partition.

Most people who do find themselves spending more and more time in Linux than in Windows.

binormalkilla
02-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I do primarily use my system for gaming, but if I try it I will most certainly run a dual boot at first. The main reason being that my PC is my "entertainment hub" of my apartment. I use it for everything: watching TV shows, listening to music, reading magazines. I have two windows keys from my previous PCs, one of which I bought and rebuilt (HP).
I will never buy a console! I'm a true PC gamer and have always been, even though I've owned NES through XBox.
Regarding the payment system, that is unfortunate, as I've heard that Linux is primarily a freeware and open-source OS. I wanted to become familiar with it because I will undoubetly have to learn it eventually for my electrical engineering profession (junior in college)
That and I'm just sick of Windows. When I reinstall Windows I hate having to disable a checklist of unneeded resource hogging services and such. Thank you for the input and keep it coming.
I would especially like to hear of the games that people are currently running in Linux environment, and what emulation that they are using. I know I've seen Linux patches for BF2142 and BF2 on battlefield.ea.com.

Jinxxed
02-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I do primarily use my system for gaming, but if I try it I will most certainly run a dual boot at first. The main reason being that my PC is my "entertainment hub" of my apartment. I use it for everything: watching TV shows, listening to music, reading magazines. I have two windows keys from my previous PCs, one of which I bought and rebuilt (HP).
I will never buy a console! I'm a true PC gamer and have always been, even though I've owned NES through XBox.
Regarding the payment system, that is unfortunate, as I've heard that Linux is primarily a freeware and open-source OS. I wanted to become familiar with it because I will undoubetly have to learn it eventually for my electrical engineering profession (junior in college)
That and I'm just sick of Windows. When I reinstall Windows I hate having to disable a checklist of unneeded resource hogging services and such. Thank you for the input and keep it coming.
I would especially like to hear of the games that people are currently running in Linux environment, and what emulation that they are using. I know I've seen Linux patches for BF2142 and BF2 on battlefield.ea.com.

For a gamer there is no alternative, i'm sorry, i could lie and tell you that you can get most games working with similar performance on Linux but that would be a lie.

If you are running a gaming server, then Linux is definently for you, BF2 and BF2142 don't have Linux versions for the game though.

With Wine and Cedega (which will cost you money) you may get about 1/3'd of the games you like to play working in Linux but not at the same performance as in Windows, D3D is translated into OpenGL because there is no D3D in Linux, no drivers support it in Linux.

OpenGL games will play just fine though, but that is ID games and pretty much nothing else.

I heard that Duke Nukem forever will be only Linux though. :D

likewhoa
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
For a gamer there is no alternative, i'm sorry, i could lie and tell you that you can get most games working with similar performance on Linux but that would be a lie.

If you are running a gaming server, then Linux is definently for you, BF2 and BF2142 don't have Linux versions for the game though.

With Wine and Cedega (which will cost you money) you may get about 1/3'd of the games you like to play working in Linux but not at the same performance as in Windows, D3D is translated into OpenGL because there is no D3D in Linux, no drivers support it in Linux.

OpenGL games will play just fine though, but that is ID games and pretty much nothing else.

I heard that Duke Nukem forever will be only Linux though. :D

You sure know what you're talking about. NAH! :nono:

first of,.. WINE is opensource not commercial and it's license under the GPL license.
Cedega A.K.A WINEX is not free and they charge a subscription fee.

secondly,.. WINE and all WINE forks support D3D but it's limited, Cedega being the one that has the most D3D support which is what their focus is on.

again WINE is opensource. Cedega A.K.A WINEX is subscription base and they specialize in PC GAMES, Crossover A.K.A codeweavers is one time fee and they specialize in Windows Applications. get it right! :fact: