PDA

View Full Version : PA120.3 Sufficient?

Zeroskills
02-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi folks:

First time poster here.
I've been lurking for about a month and a half, working on specing out a new rig.

Here is my current plan for a water cooling loop--I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions:

DDC+ w/ Petra's Top
ThermoChill PA120.3
Dtek Fusion (on an overclocked E6600)
EK 8800GTX 1
EK 8800GTX 2
EK 680i Chipset Blocks (x3; NB/SB/MOSFET)

I have a few specific questions on the loop:
1. Is a PA120.3 sufficient to cool all these components when used with Yate Loon (or equivalent CFM) fans?
2. Will a PA120.3 still be sufficient if/when I upgrade to an overclocked quadcore?
3. Anyone have recent info on the EK 680i chipset blocks? I shot an email to EK sales a week ago but have not heard back.

Lastly, I have been having some challenges finding a satisfactory case.
For one radiator applications, I'd prefer a TJ07 to the V2000
For two radiator applications, I'd prefer a Mountain Mods to the 343B.
However, I want a black case am forced to use silver optical drives (Plextor Premium2 only comes in silver). Lian Li offers black anodized optical drive covers, but neither MountainMods nor SilverStone appear to offer an equivalent. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Zeroskills[SUN]

rbd89
02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
You may consider running multiple loops, that is a bunch of restriction for just one pump.

Gunlance
02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I think you can fit 2 radiators in the tr-07 and the v2k. One on the bottom and one on the top.

Like rbd89 said, that is a lot of restriction. You may want to go with 2 dedicated loops. Do you plan on overclocking to the absolute max?

ramenchef
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
You could always stealth the drives with the bay covers.

rbd89
02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah im with ramenchef, stealth the drives. It takes like 5 minutes and some velcro and looks really nice, ill see if I cant get a picture of my drive that I stealthed.

Zeroskills
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I think you can fit 2 radiators in the tr-07 and the v2k. One on the bottom and one on the top.

Like rbd89 said, that is a lot of restriction. You may want to go with 2 dedicated loops. Do you plan on overclocking to the absolute max?
I was hoping to get to 3.6ghz (9*400FSB) and, perhaps, tweak up from there seems to be a lot of headroom.

Regarding the cases, I haven't seen a V2000/V2100 that has a top-mounted PA-series radiator (important for low CFM fans). I think the radiator thickness conflicts with the top of the motherboard. Regarding the TJ07, I love the case, but can't bear to have exposed silver drivebays. I've read the Lian Li drive covers are incompatible with SilverStones.

As background, I live in a loft apartment so my bedroom/livingroom/diningroom is all just one big room. Since this rig is going to be (more or less) sitting in the middle of living room, aesthetics and silence are important considerations.

Thanks again.

Philly_Boy
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I was hoping to get to 3.6ghz (9*400FSB) and, perhaps, tweak up from there seems to be a lot of headroom.

Regarding the cases, I haven't seen a V2000/V2100 that has a top-mounted PA-series radiator (important for low CFM fans). I think the radiator thickness conflicts with the top of the motherboard. Regarding the TJ07, I love the case, but can't bear to have exposed silver drivebays. I've read the Lian Li drive covers are incompatible with SilverStones.

As background, I live in a loft apartment so my bedroom/livingroom/diningroom is all just one big room. Since this rig is going to be (more or less) sitting in the middle of living room, aesthetics and silence are important considerations.

Thanks again.
Get the MM case. . .you'll not be sorry. . .swalows 2 rads/pumps/res's like nothin and looks nice and roomie still. Gotta work out the Optical drive cover. . .do you *have* to have the Plexy Premium?

Zeroskills
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Get the MM case. . .you'll not be sorry. . .swalows 2 rads/pumps/res's like nothin and looks nice and roomie still. Gotta work out the Optical drive cover. . .do you *have* to have the Plexy Premium?
Yes, sadly. I do a lot of audio work with my PC (DAE and CD burning) so I have a pair of PX-760SA and a pair of Plextor Premium2s. A black Mountain Mods case would be perfect, but the four silver optical drives is a problem. Have you ever seen the Lian Li optical drive covers used on MM case? Would it be possible to powdercoat them to match the case?

Zeus
02-12-2007, 03:31 AM
How about spraypainting the optical drives?

stevecs
02-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Here is my current plan for a water cooling loop--I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions:

DDC+ w/ Petra's Top
ThermoChill PA120.3
EK 8800GTX 1
EK 8800GTX 2

That is very clost to what I have in my system (minus the block types) but to give you a reference point I have the following all in one loop w/ the PA120.3 using (3) S-Flex (1400rpm) fans:

MCP655 pump
(2) DD GTX8800 water blocks
(2) swifttech MCW30 (NB & SB)
(1) DD Aqua-drive (for (2) 150GB Raptors)
(1) Switftech Apogee (for an E6700)

So hte only real item difference is the mosfet on yours and the make of blocks. I'm using all 1/2" tygon tubing and the PA120.3 w/ the fans works great. By far the best rad that I've ever used.

I'll probably split off the 2nd 8800gtx to put that into another machine I'm building but haven't made up my mind yet (it's DAMN tight in there for the tubing w/ two.)

CedricFP
02-12-2007, 05:45 AM
The PA120.3 will certainly be sufficient for that setup. 2 PA120.3's is definitely overkill (IMO value-wise) but if money is not an issue, then why not get 2?

IanY
02-12-2007, 06:31 AM
You do know that Mountain Mods has silver aluminum cases?

I fully endorse the Plextor Premiums myself, but mine are in a seperate desktop case using usb. I do have PX760s in my case.

I didn't know that the EK chipset blocks have been launched.

Two PA120.3s is overkill? Really? I'm considering four lol

stevecs
02-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Two PA120.3s is overkill? Really? I'm considering four lol

?? Four ?? WTH are you trying to cool?!?! Maybe if you were using it for a cooling loop for a decent 200W CO2 laser (~1800W waste heat) but I can't see any PC producing that (well, minus minicomputers/mainframes).

IanY
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
?? Four ?? WTH are you trying to cool?!?! Maybe if you were using it for a cooling loop for a decent 200W CO2 laser (~1800W waste heat) but I can't see any PC producing that (well, minus minicomputers/mainframes).

That was a half-hearted John Kerry-esque joke. Now I have to explain myself lol :) It was a joke! But having said that, more radiators = cooler cpu, right?

stevecs
02-12-2007, 10:33 AM
That was a half-hearted John Kerry-esque joke. Now I have to explain myself lol :) It was a joke! But having said that, more radiators = cooler cpu, right?

:p: sort of figured you were joking. ;) As for the second part actually with just a rad & fans you'll reach an equalibrium and the lowest temp you'll get is ambient. Though in reality as nothing is 100% efficient you'll be slightly above ambient).

CedricFP
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, but talk about diminishing returns, and you will eventually plateau.

serialk11r
02-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Erm, 200W? a 2000W would probably be like 1500-1600W waste heat:P Maybe a 437W, and 320W, pelts OVERVOLTED? :P you know I'm joking, actually I'm making fun of someone who actually is going to try that:P go look for yourself.

buffbiff21
02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
DDC+ w/ Petra's Top
ThermoChill PA120.3
EK 8800GTX 1
EK 8800GTX 2

Nice dude, your setup resembles mine quite a bit, differing in the cpu and chipset block areas. I would see what your temps are, and then if restriction is too high just toss in another pump in series.

Gotta love those EK blocks though, eh? Do they actually fit the SB on the 680i? I gotta check it out.. I ordered an MCW30 for my SB, so that i can get rid of my Iceberq4 loudass blender fan.

Also I dont find what is so spectacular about MM cases. They look disgusting, IMO.

serialk11r
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Also I dont find what is so spectacular about MM cases. They look disgusting, IMO.
LOL I 1/3 agree, but never had the courage to say it:P They're not totally disgusting, stratigetically placed led fans fixes the problem:P Some of the colors are just OMFG... Horizon is pretty good though, but again, LED fans and lights are absolutely necessary.

NGPlease
02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I've grown out of the LED fans and lights stage. I like a few nice touches of color here and there but hell, I don't NEED it. If I wanted lights I'd go to a rave.

serialk11r
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
What I was saying was that in some setups, no LEDs would look better, but for the MM case, you really need to go full out on bling or else it looks like sh*t. I'm going to get killed for saying that.

stevecs
02-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Erm, 200W? a 2000W would probably be like 1500-1600W waste heat:P Maybe a 437W, and 320W, pelts OVERVOLTED? :P you know I'm joking, actually I'm making fun of someone who actually is going to try that:P go look for yourself.

sorry, lasers are quoted at output power (ie, already AFTER loosing the waste heat). a CO2 laser is 10% efficient (approx) so a 200W laser takes about 2000W input.

IanY
02-14-2007, 05:52 AM
What I was saying was that in some setups, no LEDs would look better, but for the MM case, you really need to go full out on bling or else it looks like sh*t. I'm going to get killed for saying that.

I'm going to clobber you on the head :)

IanY
02-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah, but talk about diminishing returns, and you will eventually plateau.

Hitting the plateau point is where its optimal, correct? If that's where its going to be as good as it gets, I'll gladly accept it.