PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't possibly be more sad with my oc setup...newb needs help

imtiedup
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I have never before had a nice computer system until just now. I always had to go the ultra budget route, so after months of saving I finally got my system up and running.

I thought I had a decent setup until I ran 3dmark06 and found out I have the slowest computer rated... ARRGGHHHH! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=7885302

Equipment list:
e6600 -hyper48 cooler
evga 680i
bfg8800gts
2gb corsair pc8500
1x raptor boot drive
vista64

After I got everything put together I took the box down to my local computer store and paid to have it overclocked. I have NEVER tried it before, and could not afford to break something doing it myself, remember months to save for this sytem.

It took the guy an afternoon and when I got the machine back I was very happy seeing how fast everything booted up. Seemed to be very fast, esp compared to my old system. That's when I ran 3dmark06 and the inevitable depression set in.

I can't imagine that I really do have a box this slow, but just in case something is wrong I'll post all my bios settings below. I have no idea which ones matter, and yes... I've read and read this forum, but for some reason it's all still rocket science to me.

I'm kinda hoping the experts here can chime in and give me a hand. I don't want to do anything 'to' extreme, as I can't afford to replace equipment. I just want this box to do my media center stuff and a lot of encoding from dv tape to dvd's. Video editing is a huge must for me, as it was 90% of the reason I bought it all.

anyhow...
here's my bios settings

cpu freq 3431.3
fsb 1525
cpu multiplier 9x

sli-ready memory is [expert]
fsb memory clock mode [linked]
fsb memory ratio 3:2
actual fsb 1525.0
actual mem ddr 1016.7

Memory timing:
tcl 5
trcd 5
trp 5
tras 15
command per clock 2t

Advanced Memory:
trrd 4
trc 28
twr 6
twtr 10
tref 7.8uS

Cpu config:
limit cpuid maxval [disabled]
intel speedstep [disabled]
cpu thermal control [disabled]
c1 enhanced halt state [enabled]
execute diable bit [enabled]
virtualization technology [enabled]

voltages:
cpu core 1.45000 current 1.40v
cpu fsb [auto] current 1.4v
memory 1.900v current 1.900v
nforce spp auto 1.40v
nforce mcp auto 1.500v
ht nforce spp auto 1.5v

temps in bios:
cpu 34c
board 23c
mcp 44c

cpu core 1.40v
cpu fsb 1.39v
memory 1.90v
3.3v 3.20v
3.3v dual 3.20v
12v 12.03v
5 4.91v
bat 3.04

cpu fan speed 1506rpm
nforce fan speed 5754rpm

When my computer left the shop it was at 1600fsb, but was unstable and I could not even get through 3dmark06 even 1/2 way. I called him and he said to set that number lower, which I did. Other than that, I have not changed anything, as I really don't know what to do.

If anyone is able to give advice I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you

Kunaak
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
1 word.

SLI

you dont have it.
top scores do.

imtiedup
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
1 word.

SLI

you dont have it.
top scores do.
Thanks.
Is that the type of score I should be expecting given what I'm running?
I suppose that 3dmark doesn't differentiate between systems with 1 or 2 cards like I would have guessed they should. Still kinda sucks having the worst score :( I must be the only person with this equipment setup to only have 1 card. Definately going to wait until I can do sli with vista before buying another card though. With everyones probs in the nvidia forum, I'm actually happy my computer even turns on. Don't own games yet, so can't even comment as to wether they even work or not.

I am curious if my settings even look vaguelly correct for my equipment setup, and if there are things I can do to tweak the box. I do have leftover money and would love to make this machine even faster, just not sure where to start. I do know that the box needs to be quiet as it's in my theater room, and water/ice are not an option -yet- lol.

theelectic
02-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks.
Is that the type of score I should be expecting given what I'm running?

Yes, I have a 8800GTS which gets around 8200 with a X2 3800+ @ 2.7GHz and 8800 with E6300 @ 3.2GHz, so yours is right in the proper range.

The FSB mode should be set to UNlinked so you can change the speed of the FSB independent of your RAM. Though if you can't afford to have something blow up I wouldn't touch any settings at all. You might be able to squeeze another 200-300MHz out of your CPU and maybe another 100MHz out of your RAM, but that would make no noticeable difference at all.

Though if you don't actually play games at high resolutions, I wouldn't worry about it. The speed/power of a GPU has very very little to do with video editing. Some esoteric filters/effects in Premiere Pro or After Effects can use the GPU, but they are far and few between in terms of daily everyday work.

Kunaak
02-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Quick Lesson on How to use the ORB.

your running a single 8800GTS. so sort by single cards, by selecting "co operative" and select single card.

you run a 8800GTS so select that in the videocard column.

you run vista so set vista as your OS.

you run a non approved driver, so select "all drivers".

then you will get a score thats comparable to your PC.
but know, the scores at the top are always overclocked.
you see, to run stock or very mild OC's so your not gonna be at the top.

imtiedup
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Quick Lesson on How to use the ORB.

your running a single 8800GTS. so sort by single cards, by selecting "co operative" and select single card.

you run a 8800GTS so select that in the videocard column.

you run vista so set vista as your OS.

you run a non approved driver, so select "all drivers".

then you will get a score thats comparable to your PC.
but know, the scores at the top are always overclocked.
you see, to run stock or very mild OC's so your not gonna be at the top.

Wow, never saw that screen before, but then again I'm just using the free vs. Sounds like it's time to make another purchase so that I'm not showing as in last place. My buddy laughed his arss off when he saw my page, of course neither of us are yet overclockers per say.

btw I keep reading about how an e6600 is never the same as another same model, that the batch# makes a huge difference. Not sure what to read into it, but here's mine ----L632B442 version# D63625-002 1.35V max. 12/11/06

sure hope I didn't get a bumb chip. But if I did..... it's going right back and I'll get whatever people suggest.

I'm guessing my bios numbers must be ok, as no one is saying i'm doing something really stupid there... at least that's good news.

theelectic
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Sounds like it's time to make another purchase so that I'm not showing as in last place.

Did you use the ORB Project Search (http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectsearch.jsp)? There are a dozen scores below yours there.

imtiedup
02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Did you use the ORB Project Search (http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectsearch.jsp)? There are a dozen scores below yours there.
Thank you

I decided to lapp my cpu and heatsink last night, took about an hour, and it is now flat and looks just like all the other cpu pics that are lapped. I then used arcticsilver instead of the stock stuff. I only saw about a 2c drop in idle temps, so not as good as some but better.

Unfortunately it was not enough of a temp drop to increase my speed at all.

I'm ready for the next step, but could use some good advice as to where to start. I'd like to stay with air as long as it's not to loud.

In looking at my bios settings above, does anything stand out that could be changed to make things faster?

I haven't even begun to try and overclock the 8800gts, as the ntune panel does not work at all in vista64. I'm not sure how else to go about doing it, and would love advice from nvidia experts out there on that as well.

thnx in advance for any advice offered

dekruyter
02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
See if Rivatuner works w/ Vista.

Magnj
02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
eww you paid for an OC and he gave it back unstable. screw that guy. Read here all the knowledge is free

newls1
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
eww you paid for an OC and he gave it back unstable. screw that guy. Read here all the knowledge is free
Thats what im sayin, WHAT THE HELL:fight: I wouldn't charge you anything! Ship your PC to me, and I'll make that sucker fly for ya, just pay shipping:) I look at it this way, anytime I can play with a 8800 series card, and conroe to OC, is a good day in my book!

imtiedup
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Thats what im sayin, WHAT THE HELL:fight: I wouldn't charge you anything! Ship your PC to me, and I'll make that sucker fly for ya, just pay shipping:) I look at it this way, anytime I can play with a 8800 series card, and conroe to OC, is a good day in my book!
I can't really blame the guy all that much. It was a regular computer store that I went to, and almost had to beg to get it done as they were very worried about voiding the warranty on all the stuff I had just purchased. In fact if it wasn't for him, I may never have found this website.

Of course now that I know about this forum, I'm totally hooked, just wish the learning curve wasn't so steep.

Now I'm doing my homework here, and debating about a new heatsink setup for the proc as my hyper48 isn't cutting it, at least compared to other similar systems here. From what I've read I shouldn't have any prob hitting 3.6 stable, which would be very nice. I'll report back when I get the new heatsink and if I can get the temps lower with it.

imtiedup
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
See if Rivatuner works w/ Vista.
It doesn't work, but thanks for the idea.
Prob due to being 64bit, which I'm seriously considering dropping.

96redformula
02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Holy :banana::banana::banana::banana:, I can't believe you paid to have it Overclocked. It takes time to properly overclock a system and lots of testing. I don't think a store is going to do that for a reasonable amount of money and chances are they don't know as much as 75% of the people here that are willing to help out.

shogan191
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
imtiedup, that is a nice system. It's scoring fine. Just take your time and enjoy learning about it. The guys that help you here are the best.

Sentential
02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
cpu freq 3431.3 Average-to-slightly-below for an E6600
fsb 1525 381 FSB... decent but below avg for that chipset
cpu multiplier 9x Again, thats normal

sli-ready memory is [expert]
fsb memory clock mode [linked]
fsb memory ratio 3:2 <--- This is your problem
actual fsb 1525.0
actual mem ddr 1016.7 That cant be the proper speed....

3:2 Implies that the bus is running 1/3 faster than the RAM itself which would put your RAM near the default speed for PC2-4200 which is god aweful given your latency. Unless it is set as 2:3 (the FSB is always listed first when discussing troubleshooting tactics on forums etc, reguardless of what the BIOS says the proper order is)

That being said you want to switch from running the RAM asynch to synch. Set the Ratio to 1:1 and increase the bus speed. Your i680 should have no issues at and above the 500FSB 1:1 mark.

Memory timing:
tcl 5 Average ns clk for ram @ this speed 3
trcd 5 Average ns clk for ram @ this speed is 3-4
trp 5 Average ns clk for ram @ this speed is 2-3
tras 15
command per clock 2t 2t CMD rate seriously impares peformance of the memory controller, 1t is always prefered when possible

Advanced Memory:
trrd 4
trc 28
twr 6
twtr 10
tref 7.8uS

In otherwords most of your problems can be attributed to average-to-less-than-average overclock with very poor RAM. As for your overclocking issues, again it could be the RAM or it could be that you are not supplying enough voltage to the chipset or CPU. Only way to test for that is to adjust the multiplier up and see if there is a chance in stable speed.

imtiedup
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
In otherwords most of your problems can be attributed to average-to-less-than-average overclock with very poor RAM. As for your overclocking issues, again it could be the RAM or it could be that you are not supplying enough voltage to the chipset or CPU. Only way to test for that is to adjust the multiplier up and see if there is a chance in stable speed.
Are you saying I bought bad ram or that I have it setup wrong?
As for purchasing I bought the best ram I could find. I was told it could be overclocked to 1200.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4862520?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Your chart is amazing and helps me to understand what is set wrong.
What I don't get is the 'order' I should attack the changes so as not to break anything.

Do I start out by changing the ram to 1:1, or should I be lowering my fsb first, etc?