PDA

View Full Version : Benchmarking tool for reviewers / diehard overclockers

RichBa5tard
05-22-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm currently starting with a project and i'll need some xtreme input. :)

I'm going to write a program that will make it much more pleasent for us to do some extensive benchmarking. Anyone who has written a review of motherboard/cpu/vidcard comparison knows that 80% of your time is consumed by running a benchmark program, writting down the results, importing them to an excell sheet and turning it into a good looking graph. This is a very timeconsuming and repetetive task, which can be automised.

My goal is to write a little app, that will allow you to select a few popular benchmarking tools (eg. UT2003 bench, Superpi, 3Dmark, ...), starts the first automaticly, extracts the results when done, closes it and starts with the next one. When all selected benches are finished, all the data is put into a snapshot-ready graph & into a text file (with delimiters, ready to be imported by excell). Saved results can be compared to other results, to make comparisons between different mobo's/vidcards/... easy.

In a nutshell:
- select the benchmarks you want to run
- select options (eg. 3D in low res to test CPU/Mobo)
- start. The app will run the selected benchmarks in sequence and extract the results.
- join the results in a premade graph (for quick screenshot) or output to a excell compatible .txt file for import.

That's it. It would be opensource java.

What i need from you guys?
* would you use (it if it ran perfectly)?
* which benchmark progs should be included? Remember the results have to be extracted somehow, this will not be easy in some cases. Also, there should be a way to start it immediatly (and not wait for user input).
* what kind of output other than specified do you want?
* other comments. :)

RichBa5tard
05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
addendum:

I'll run the app on a few different setups, so results can be compared to a "default rig" (mine). Much like sandra, but not so syntethical. :)

sjohnson
05-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Heck, even if it didn't run "perfectly" but instead was a "practical" tool it would be great.

I use Sandra, 3dmark01, glexcess, toast, prime95, superpi, quake demos, ut demos, and atto regularly to bench/burnin. I'm sure there are others that would be as good or better than these.

RichBa5tard
06-08-2003, 07:40 PM
I've got it running. Next step is output in .xml, .txt & a graph.

(don't mind my überleet GUI skills ;) )

RichBa5tard
06-10-2003, 06:39 PM
v0.02 is released. If someone wants to betatest, please do!

get it here (http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2460).

texuspete00
06-16-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the links :)

CCW
06-16-2003, 09:07 AM
It doesnt show the 3d mark score> just FOS?

Craig

RichBa5tard
06-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by CCW
It doesnt show the 3d mark score> just FOS?

Craig

i can do that, but it's not a priority until it's out of the betaphase. Comparing 3Dmark scores is stupid in terms of reviewing imho, but i'll add it anyway.

Current version is v0.06, allowing to make graps from curretnt & saved results.

Ruantic
06-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Glad I stumbled onto this, nice work indeed....:toast:

CCW
06-17-2003, 12:42 AM
RichBa5tard, I know for reviewing terms the 3DMark score is useless but for those of us who dont review this would be handy for us. Just another way to show what score we can get.

Craig