PDA

View Full Version : getting the best performance you can

cruise
02-10-2007, 06:22 AM
I was pretty happy with the results of some overclocking I did with the Asus commando, but I'm still very inexperienced compared to most people here and so I'm probably not getting the most out of it. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

One basic thing I still don't understand is memory timings, and the relationship between these and FSB to get better performance, from what I gather it was not a good idea to set Corsair 8500C5 to 4 4 12 4 before I started upping the FSB and vcore.

Also something I was wary of was the Northbridge chipset and its little copper chunk plonked on top of it, is this really going to handle a watercooled e6600 CPU at full throttle? From what I read it is actually possible to push this to 550 on air?

There's probably more, actually it's more safe to assume I'm just a total newb and know almost nothing. :(

da_h00k
02-10-2007, 08:03 AM
This thread should be in Q&A, but for your questions:

The NB cooler can surely handly a CPU at full throttle (or it depends on the motherboard) 550fsb e6600 aircooled is really rare at 9x multi, but you can sure get it 500mhz at 7x (3.5GHz)

About the ram: The higher vdimm voltage the higher bandwidth/lower timings you can get. And with lower bandwidth the lower timings you can get.

Example: You got a pair of Corsair 6400C4, that'll do C4 800MHz at 2.1VDIMM
If you nodge up the bandwidth (considering it's not some descent oc-ram) to like 850MHz you have to lower the timings, or else it will not boot or be unstable. Opposite you have to lower the bandwidth if you want tighter timings.
If we then put the VDIMM voltage to 2.25, you'll maybe be able to do 850MHz with CL4. I don't recommend higher voltage than 2.4-2.5 @ 24/7 use, and not withouth a fan blowing air.

cruise
02-10-2007, 12:55 PM
oops sorry about that, didn't see the qa forum.

I think I have the right idea now, so the first thing is to lower the multi to 7 which will give me the best performance, then in 1:1 RAM/FSB ratio up vcore and fsb, then increase vdimm up to 2.4 or 2.5 and lower memory timings to whatever it can handle? @_@

Also when you say that Corsair 6400C4 can do C4 800MHz at 2.1v is that just knowing from experience or is there some way to work it out? Because I was wondering what would be a good place to start with Corsair8500 ram that I have.

da_h00k
02-10-2007, 01:43 PM
oops sorry about that, didn't see the qa forum.

I think I have the right idea now, so the first thing is to lower the multi to 7 which will give me the best performance, then in 1:1 RAM/FSB ratio up vcore and fsb, then increase vdimm up to 2.4 or 2.5 and lower memory timings to whatever it can handle? @_@

Also when you say that Corsair 6400C4 can do C4 800MHz at 2.1v is that just knowing from experience or is there some way to work it out? Because I was wondering what would be a good place to start with Corsair8500 ram that I have.

2.4-2.5 is the highest you can go on aircooling - NOT recommended. 2.3 is my top right now.

Corsair 8500. Find out what voltage you should use (in manual or on Corsairs site) and set it to that. Use 1000MHz at CL5 at the voltage on the manual or website. That's the best start. Try 0.05 or 0.1v+ and higher the bandwidth. Just go crazy, you can always clear cmos :-)

cruise
02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Just go crazy

That I can do :D

But this is only temporary testing right? After I find the highest memory settings shouldn't I be lowering down to be the same as the CPU? I guess it won't hurt to leave it like that though.