PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling Setup?

Svenn
06-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Well, I've finally decided to try water cooling. I have a few questions about it that I'd like to know. I haven't ordered the stuff yet so there's no rush.

1. Is a chipset block worth it? I'm definetely getting a CPU (Silverprop Cyclone 5) and GPU block (DangerDen GF4 waterblock). Should I add a chipset block in there as well?
2. Should I run CPU -> GPU, GPU->CPU, or the CPU and GPU in two separate lines from the pump?
3. Anything special I should know before ordering or setting up the system?

Here's what I'm going for:
Eheim 1250 Pump
Danger Den GF4 Waterblock
Dtek Pro Radiator w/ Shroud
Silverprop Cyclone 5 CPU block
Blue Acrylic Danger Den Resevoir
Tygon Tubing
All inside an Ice Block Z1 case from lovermecases.com

Thanks

Silversink
06-25-2002, 03:38 PM
You definitly want to go CPU to Northbridge to GPU......personally Its my opinion cooling the Northie is a good move.(especially since you have the Eheim 1250)

I'm not to familiar with the Silverprop Cyclone 5 CPU block, but all the other components you've chosen are nice.

Heres what I use on my Northy

Svenn
06-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Well, 2 more questions now.
1.How is the Danger Den Chipset block?
2. Would you recommend I use a shim?

This is going on an Abit KX7-333R w/ 2200+ Tbred.

EDIT: Another question, how do I go about attaching the chipset and GPU blocks? I just saw somewhere that said Thermal Epoxy.

Silversink
06-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
Well, 2 more questions now.
1.How is the Danger Den Chipset block?
2. Would you recommend I use a shim?

This is going on an Abit KX7-333R w/ 2200+ Tbred.

EDIT: Another question, how do I go about attaching the chipset and GPU blocks? I just saw somewhere that said Thermal Epoxy.

As far as the Chipset block, dangerden provides mounting holes.(whether they line up or not I cant say for sure)

My Northbridge I used very thin nylon nuts and bolts (And tightly coiled springs)

If the hole pattern on your Northy and GPU dont align properly, you can affix it with Arctic Silver adhesive

Heres a pic when I was testing Tygon vs Standard tubing, but you can see the way I affixed my northy

ps You really dont need a shim

Svenn
06-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Excellent, do most waterblocks come with perhaps some sort of installation instructions? I'm getting all anxious thinking about it. I guess it would be much better if I actually had the parts so I could look at them and see exactly how it worked. Anyway, thanks for all your help. Only 3 more days until my birthday... then I'll have the money I need to start on this new comp. I'll post pics of my case and water cooling when I get it up :)
Thanks for your help.

Silversink
06-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
Excellent, do most waterblocks come with perhaps some sort of installation instructions? I'm getting all anxious thinking about it. I guess it would be much better if I actually had the parts so I could look at them and see exactly how it worked. Anyway, thanks for all your help. Only 3 more days until my birthday... then I'll have the money I need to start on this new comp. I'll post pics of my case and water cooling when I get it up :)
Thanks for your help.

Dangerden sends you excellent instructions when you recieve thier products, and if you lose them they also have them online.

http://www.dangerden.com/Instructions/instruction_page.htm

(Swiftech also has good instructions both in print and online)

Svenn
06-26-2002, 12:09 PM
Excellent, thanks for all your help. I can't wait til I get my new system!