PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a Laing DDC-2??

Pete
02-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Seams that all the Laing DDC-2 pumps kick out some heat on the base and this why they die. So i have 7 of these in my mind for my rig all on a sheet. This got me thinking as many talk about fitting RAM heatsinks to the base and i though humm i'm not using OCZ's FLEX RAM stuff now so that droped to 6 loops so why not make it 7 still but one too cool the base of these 7 loops and one kick ass water block!!

My case is 195mm wide, and about 500mm for the pumps.

I can get a sheet of 2.0mm thick COPPER SHEET 500mm x 250mm for £45 delivered off ebay.

I was thinking of making one big ass water block. A base made out of derlin with waveved channles and then the coper as the top plate or would i be better off making blocks to sit under the pump and the pump bolted down to a plate thats under the wc block.

?

krylon
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Vibration noise from those pumps is going to suck

Shpoon
02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I bought a petra BabySink-Large, and am gonna put that on the base, then sit all that on the gel pad....I'll let you know how that goes (There's a small fan blowing on it).

Pete
02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I was thinking if i did the inderdival block then uner that water block use the gell and some foam and have bolts holding the combo down

serialk11r
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Buy Petra's Babysink thing, the biggest one has thermal tape. And I don't think they die from heat...not all of them at least, and the ones that do die might not be from the heat.

Nanobot
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I installed two sets of aluminum memory heatsinks (looks like the blue thermaltake ones) using thermal tape,mostly on the back side and the pump wire side .
The pump's side where the wire exits seem to get hot so it's a good spot to put them on.
I know they work because there's a good amount of heat coming off them.
$10 of heatsinks to keep my MCP355 running,hopefully for a long time.That's a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.

ziddey
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Someone had I believe the alphacool top and has heatsinks on his. Looks real nice actually.