PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem... Ultra-D or 7950gt?

deton8
02-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey guys,

I recently got a used DFI ultra-d and new evga 7950gt to upgrade my sig rig, but I'm having a weird issue. When I exit BIOS, I get no-signal on the monitor and the card's fan revs way up. I have to clear CMOS just to get it to post again, at which point I get CMOS checksum error. Since I can't save changed settings (specifically, boot order), I can't fix anything in the BIOS that might be causing this, or even install XP :mad:

So I'm kind of stuck.

I've already tried the ram and video card in different slots, tried different monitors, d-sub instead of dvi, and swapping out the CMOS battery. Same deal... I know all the old parts are good, so it's down to the new ones. How can I tell which?

I plan to pick up a PCI video card to test, but other than that, any advice?

Lastviking
02-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

I recently got a used DFI ultra-d and new evga 7950gt to upgrade my sig rig, but I'm having a weird issue. When I exit BIOS, I get no-signal on the monitor and the card's fan revs way up. I have to clear CMOS just to get it to post again, at which point I get CMOS checksum error. Since I can't save changed settings (specifically, boot order), I can't fix anything in the BIOS that might be causing this, or even install XP :mad:

So I'm kind of stuck.

I've already tried the ram and video card in different slots, tried different monitors, d-sub instead of dvi, and swapping out the CMOS battery. Same deal... I know all the old parts are good, so it's down to the new ones. How can I tell which?

I plan to pick up a PCI video card to test, but other than that, any advice?

If its works with a pci gfx card maybe your psu is to weak...

deton8
02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
A 485w Enermax too weak? Gulp. I guess it's possible, though it seemed to run okay in my sig rig.

The guy I bought the Ultra-D from said he flashed the BIOS to the latest version, 4/06. Could the CMOS checksum error I'm getting be caused by a bad BIOS flash?

lowboy
02-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Your PSU is border line the min recommended is 480w with atleast 28 amp on 12v rails. Have you checked memory from bios with memtest. Run at least 5passes of test #5&#8 if passes run full tests for 3-5 passes. Also your card is in the pcie slot closest to the cpu.

deton8
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I can't even run memtest from BIOS... It just hangs after F10 :(

Now I'm starting to suspect the PSU too. When I go out today I'll pick up a PCI card and decent PSU to test. God help my wallet :D

lowboy
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Try booting with only 1 stick of memory in the orange slot furthest from cpu.

deton8
02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Right now I have connected:

Opteron 165 w/Scythe Ninja Plus
1gb stick OCZ PC4000 EL Gold in furthest orange slot from CPU.
7950gt in closest slot to CPU (also tried furthest)

This boots, but still gives me the problem.

I tried adding in the 80gb WD on sata 1, LG DVD-ROM and/or BENQ DVDRW. It boots with any or all connected, but still hangs up exiting BIOS.

deton8
02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Update:

Seems the 7950gt is artifacting in BIOS (graphical glitches, checkerboard pattern). I found an identical entry in EVGA's knowledge base that suggested bad video memory as the issue. After contacting EVGA, I learned a bad card or insufficient power could cause this, so I swapped out the Enermax for a 550w OKIA (+12v @ 24A). No joy; however I doubt how legit this noname PSU is, so these results are hardly conclusive.

I haven't had a chance to try another graphics card yet. At this point, I'm thinking it's probably best just to RMA the 7950gt. That leaves time to fool around with the board and see if maybe it's the cause.

Or should I hold off and try another power supply, in case it IS the problem?

deton8
02-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Update #2:

The 6200LE PCIe I got today doesn't artifact, which seems to suggest I have a defective 7950gt on my hands. Unfortunately, the 6200 didn't solve the CMOS checksum error and BIOS no-save problem.

Please tell me someone has an idea... I'm on the verge of spending ALOT on a beefy namebrand PSU I probably won't be able to return if it doesn't solve this, plus more on another motherboard.

At this point $300+ for an x1950 AGP seems like it would have been a better deal :(