PDA

View Full Version : IN9 32X-Max build help!

Skrips
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Build Diary, Day 1:

I got the last shipment of parts, assembled them all, and am now in the process of trying to get the system to run. Upon bootup the post screen pauses and gives me an error message: "CMOS checksum error" and "CMOS battery has failed". Then it tells me that the system is running in BIOS safe mode and that I should check my CPU and/or ram settings in the BIOS. I checked the CMOS battery manually with a multimeter, and it checks out fine. I cannot figure this one out, its got me.

Suggestions?

pablo
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
have you tried clearing it out? if not try this

Skrips
02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
have you tried clearing it out? if not try this

Yes. I have cleared the CMOS settings several times, and the system still boots up with a checksum error. :confused:

Very irritating.

officermartinez
02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Have you figured out your issue yet? Sounds like you need to replace your CMOS battery on your motherboard. A few others I know had dead batteries on their Abit motherboards.. No biggie. Pop your battery out.. Go to your local pharmacy and get another (be sure to look at the battery #'s to ensure they match). $3 dollar problem solved.. lol.

Skrips
02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Have you figured out your issue yet? Sounds like you need to replace your CMOS battery on your motherboard. A few others I know had dead batteries on their Abit motherboards.. No biggie. Pop your battery out.. Go to your local pharmacy and get another (be sure to look at the battery #'s to ensure they match). $3 dollar problem solved.. lol.

Like I said, I checked the battery with a multimeter, and it checked out fine. Running out 3V constant, no problems. SO I think I am having another issue, something else. Maybe a bad BISO install? I just dont know...

officermartinez
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Like I said, I checked the battery with a multimeter, and it checked out fine. Running out 3V constant, no problems. SO I think I am having another issue, something else. Maybe a bad BISO install? I just dont know...

Yeah.. Like I was saying.. I wouldn't rely on the multimeter as the final answer.. With my multimeters, I've tested several batteries that "say" there is voltage (but usually ends up being the battery anyways). If it works, $3 dollar fix. If not, you have a battery on stand-by and you will KNOW 1000% it is not your battery.

\/ENDE][A
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Build Diary, Day 1:

I got the last shipment of parts, assembled them all, and am now in the process of trying to get the system to run. Upon bootup the post screen pauses and gives me an error message: "CMOS checksum error" and "CMOS battery has failed". Then it tells me that the system is running in BIOS safe mode and that I should check my CPU and/or ram settings in the BIOS. I checked the CMOS battery manually with a multimeter, and it checks out fine. I cannot figure this one out, its got me.

Suggestions?

Did you do a fresh install on a clean formatted hard disk? I had similar problems once before and as soon as i did reformat problem solved.

Skrips
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Problem solved. I checked on the Abit forums, and a number of other people are having the same problem with the same exact error codes during post.

***SOLUTION***
Simply replace the CMOS battery. I did so and now it works fine. Puzzling, considering the CMOS battery, when I tested it, was showing 3v output. Odd, but it works now.

Next step, figure out why my floppy drive wont read disks...I need to make a boot disk for BISO flashing, but I cannot get the floppy to work...stupid Vista64...

Good times! :toast:

FlyBoyGeo
02-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Other than the battery problem, how is your build doing??? I am looking at the IN9 closely...

Heavy Metal
02-24-2007, 04:45 PM
You have to put a load on the battery when you test it with the multimeter.
A decent resistor would work.

BTW first post!
Its hard to contribute with so many knowledgable people around

OverCloke
03-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi!

I have the same problem but i bougth a other battery ,reference CR2032 ,and the problem persist. I use the new bios 1.1 and flash very times. With the bios 1.0 and beta 1 dont have this problem. What happend? Anyone can help me?

Sorry about my english.

Thanks

mr_knowitall15
03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
interesting problems... I just had the evga board in my sig die, in a very similar fashion to my first board for this rig, a aw9D Max. So i ordered a new PSU (as a safeguard, not sure how else i can keep slowly killing hardware) and this IN9 Board. I get my board, get my system built up, and it wont boot windows. It would get to the screen where it gives a loading bar, and like a second in the comp would restart. I even tryed running from the cd because i wanted to do a clean install anyway. After it loaded all the files, and goes to "start windows" same restart problem. I ran memtest for 18+ hrs and it passed 40something times with no errors, so i was sure it was the drives.
After taking my drives to a friend to sross test them, i determined they seem fine, and the problem lies elsewhere. I even plugged my stuff into the orginal (now RMAed) AW9D MAX, and i was able to boot into an unhappy windows (very wrong chipset drivers). So we determined something was bad about either the IDE or SATA controller. RMA to newegg..
I swear if i ever get this computer to run for more than 2 months i may start going to church. It will be a divine miracle. This :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: is cursed!

mr_knowitall15
03-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Well WOOHOO!!!! MORE PROBS!!! Got the new board, and still couldnt install windows, although it would go farther than th elast, but it would lock up. After askinf in another thread, i learned that there is a known bug with setting USB mouse and keyboard support to BIOS instead of OS. SO now i get windows installed, updated and some of my programs installed.
I start playing WoW, i get a few random program crashes throughout the evening. I defrag reinstall all my drivers, and run some tests. Sandra Shows my memory being fine, getting 5700 in the bandwidth at stock speeds, but Super Pi keeps getting not exact in round, whether i do 1m or 32M. I used My ultimate boot CD to run memtest and some other util called windows memory diagnostics or something like that. No errors with either after letting each run for a while. So im thinking SPi might just be borked, or this board is unstable (leaning towards that ATM)
Oh and Ive noticed a rather annoying little bug also. A couple times the computer locked, only once when windows was shutting down, and a few times before i discovered the USB mouse thing when i tryed to load windows). Anyway, when you have to do a hard power off, the system will do nothing when u hit the on switch again, unless you unplug the computer. After that, all is fine, but its god damn annoying. HOW COULD SO MANY STUPID ERRORS GET THROUGH QUALITY CONTROL/ TESTING??? I think abit really rushed this board out. I may damn well put my RMA'd Evga back in here when i get it back. This is buggier than a fricken rain forest. :mad: :slapass: Hello refund RMA to newegg as soon as i get my evga back!