PDA

View Full Version : Did you notice?

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-07-2007, 01:49 AM
If you haven't noticed the Updated announcement at the top of the different sections IFMU and I played PM tag and got the DC sticky/announcement up to date a bit. Take a look. Hope it gets some interest up here with us cool pep's :cool:
Distributed Computing Announcement Updated (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/announcement.php?f=120&a=52)

[XC]thewildblue
02-07-2007, 03:41 AM
Nice work mystic hopefully all will benefit from it !

mike047
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
You listed the vault projects last........the poor cousin, eh.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-08-2007, 05:08 AM
lol, Sorry mike but I am all WCG so I did put it first.
I do miss you in the WCG section btw!
I pulled the strings so I choose the #1 project. I lost my dad to Cancer and I will more than likely get it so that is the top of the list for me and my computers. Points come second. I need a cure for cancer to stay alive, Period!
Either way I hope it brings some needed attention to the DC section as a whole. There is a lot of high dollar computers on this forum that just sit idle and that is a shame.
Anywho, Crunch on guys! :toast:

IFMU
02-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Aye aye capitan!
All work was done by mystic himself, I just posted it! ^_^ lol

Thanks again btw for doing that... no way I was/would have the time to re-do all that.

Movieman
02-08-2007, 08:26 AM
This seems like the perfect place to post this so here it is:
Is there anything I can do to help you guys?
There seems to be a little bit of bad blood and I don't want that at all.
I had some conversation with one of the guys here yesterday whose opinion I respect and all I heard was frustration in this guys voice.
I think it's time that we started a dialog to at least address the different feelings,motivations and goals of all in the attempt to work for the betterment of XSDC as a whole.
I was reading through the thread and I'm asking MysticMerlin to do a little editing to move the Vault up in the list.
Thought on it and the only fair way is alphabetical.
I understand why he put WCG first. Let's face it, we're all human and have our own ideas of what comes first.etc but being fair to everyone is more important I think.
I also believe that people are intelligent enough to not be swayed by what is first on a list,etc. They will look through the list and decide for themselves.
Talk to me and I'll try and do what I can to help.
Thanks guys.

Paladin
02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm all Vault right now, but I don't care where it's listed on a four item list. It's not like people have to scroll down a few pages.

If we're splitting hairs; the subject in "Here are just a few of the projects we currently support" is currently support therefore the projects could be listed in order of which has the most XS members active (7 days or 28 days column to allow for people that only crunch weekends). Looks like WCG=150, F@H=99, D2OL=33, most of the others <33. Also make the DC Vault link flush left like the others.

:p: I didn't even read the new announcement 'til I saw Movieman's post.

[XC]melymel
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I agree with paladin on the point of there being no problem with the DCV projects as last in the list. Good work mystic I was thinking a while back that the sticky needed updating but was too lazy to do anything about it :p:.

:toast:

mike047
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
lol, Sorry mike but I am all WCG so I did put it first.
I do miss you in the WCG section btw!
I pulled the strings so I choose the #1 project. I lost my dad to Cancer and I will more than likely get it so that is the top of the list for me and my computers. Points come second. I need a cure for cancer to stay alive, Period!
Either way I hope it brings some needed attention to the DC section as a whole. There is a lot of high dollar computers on this forum that just sit idle and that is a shame.
Anywho, Crunch on guys! :toast:

Hey, I am glad you made the effort to rewrite it. My comment was tounge in cheek and was in fun.

Anything anyone can do to draw attention or enhance DC in general is GREAT as far as I am concerned.

[XC] 4X4N
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Nice job mystic! :toast: I think it's fine the way it is.

Now, what else could we do to encourage more people to get involved? WCG, F@H, D2OL, all want to increase their teams, as well as most if us that concentrate on the vault. Whats a way to promote all of XS D/C in general? Maybe something on the front page, maybe some kind of contest, maybe custom titles? I don't know. Lets come up with something. I know this has been discussed many times, but nothing ever seem to come from it. If we could just get more people interested, show them all of the projects, and let them run whatever they like, it would benefit everyone.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I was reading through the thread and I'm asking MysticMerlin to do a little editing to move the Vault up in the list.
Thought on it and the only fair way is alphabetical.

Hold up there Ye Old Fart :stick: (love the custom title) you had your chance. I PM'ed you and said it was time to update the sticky remember. You said it was on me so there you go :D I spent over 2 hours picking it apart and redoing it. I see no problems with it. I could have spent another 14 hours putting all the projects in it but I don't have 14 hours. Also just so you know I have no control over it from here on. IFMU is the poster and editor. What is a IFMU by the way? :confused: :rofl:

All light hearted here guys, this is the fun side of XS.

Got 377 views on it so far :banana:

Ok one more thing then I quit before I write a book,

Is there anything I can do to help you guys?
Yep send me you and mesh'es clovers and I will call us square :slobber: :woot:

It is all good. I hope no one gets there nose cut on how it is. I did it to promote all of XS DC and hope you can all understand it.

IFMU
02-08-2007, 09:14 PM
What is a IFMU by the way? :confused: :rofl:
An IFMU is me. ^_^ lol

I know Ive explained it all in full detail here before, just not sure where right off hand. lol
But anyways, long story short.
Incredible Flying Mobile Unit.

Got into a car wreck, car wanted to fly, it was called the Incredible Flying Mobile Unit, i.e. IFMU for short. So, IFMU was born. ~_^

OT... Dont like the order of the DC Projects? wah, too bad. ^_^
Theyre listed and that is what matters is it not?
If someone wants to have more added in, post it up, or PM me and I will add it into the announcement.
Dont re-write the whole she-bang, just the what needs to be added in, not replaced.

mike047
02-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Come on guys, I was at the time, just kidding about the order.

But, The comments and mindset indicate, as I have said before, that most people here are biased AGAINST the vault projects and only see glory in WCG.

So there is MY WAH and shortly you will really see it.

mad mikee
02-09-2007, 04:03 AM
Time will tell if we can get the masses to pay attention :fact: (but now they have something to pay ATTENTION to :hehe: :up: )

Movieman
02-09-2007, 07:48 AM
If I drive a Chrysler does that mean that I hate Fords?
No. It means that at the time I chose one over the other.
I've run D2OL,F@H,Rosetta,WCG,MJ12,Dimes,SOB,QMC,and ReisalSieve.
I choose to mainly run the medical apps after losing a Grandmother to Cancer and in the hope that in the years to come if my 2 kids or anyone elses is told they have a disease of this nature they can also be told there is a cure that perhaps I helped contribute to.
Don't turn this into a us vs them as that doesn't do anyone any good.
There are as many different reasons for running DC as we have members and IMO all of the reasons are good as anything that brings someone into DC I'd support. It's the bottom line that people do run the programs that matters to me, not the why.
I do think some programs are more worthwhile than others and I don't understand why that thinking causes others a problem. This isn't a game to me but something I take very seriously.
I'm not telling others what they can do but neither do I believe that they have the right to tell me what to run or to be upset in any way at my decision.
If there can't be a "live and let live" attitude towards what apps people decide to run then thats someone else's problem not mine.
I have limited resources, a grand total of 3 machines that I personally own and I put them where I think they can do the most good for humanity first and points a very distant second.
There has been talk of the XS "Team". XS is composed of many teams and each has their goals. I'm not just talking about DC here but all of XS.
XS is not a uniformed army but a group of volunteers that give what they have freely.
We do have the right to ask for help but if that help is given or not none of us have the right to be mad or upset over another persons decision.
If what one persons goals are can't be reached with the resources they have, then have the moral character to accept that and be happy with what you can accomplish.
Every organization has a limit to it's resources and in this respect XS is no different. If you find that you need more help on a app and can't get the volunteers for it, do what I and others did in Rosetta, PM the membership and ask them for help. It works, that I can vouce for.
You may get 5 out of 100 PM's but you will get people to come and join.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Guess I should have though before I posted this. It gets turned around every time. I will go away and stay out of your vault now.
BTW I do run mj12 if that matters to anyone.

[XC] 4X4N
02-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Mysticmerlin is right. Why does it come down to us vs. them attitude? Why can't we have an open discussion on how to increase all of xs d/c? Try to get more people involved, and run whatever they please, everyone benifits. How is this a bad thing? Right now, I'm concentrating on the vault, but I still have the majority of my resources on wcg, because that is what I choose to do. When I first got involved it seemed more friendly. Now, there is more competion within the team and less working together. I have run many projects to help out because I am for the team, and like the comradery. I don't see so much of that any more. Makes me re-think why I'm doing this.

Movieman
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Mysticmerlin is right. Why does it come down to us vs. them attitude? Why can't we have an open discussion on how to increase all of xs d/c? Try to get more people involved, and run whatever they please, everyone benifits. How is this a bad thing? Right now, I'm concentrating on the vault, but I still have the majority of my resources on wcg, because that is what I choose to do. When I first got involved it seemed more friendly. Now, there is more competion within the team and less working together. I have run many projects to help out because I am for the team, and like the comradery. I don't see so much of that any more. Makes me re-think why I'm doing this.
I agree with you 100%. I posted what I did for one simple reason: Yesterday I had a lot of PM's with one guy and I got the feeling that he felt I wasn't a "team player" because I wasn't actively involved in the Vault.
I am in MJ12 and that's in the Vault the last time I checked.
It bothered me because I really like this guy.
I thought that if he can feel this others can also so I wanted to say how I felt.
There's no reason why we all can't get along as long as we respect the other guys right to do what he thinks is best.
Acceptance of the different thinking is what will be best for all of us in the long run.

ShootStraight
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Guys, let me try to explain something to you.

I got into this whole thing 5 or so years ago with FaD. I did so, as I had just suffered the loss of my father to esophageal cancer after fighting the disease for more than two years. I saw him go through surgery to remove part of his esoghagus and stomach, 3 rounds of chemo, radiation. He went from a strappin 6ft 190lbs man to 122lbs of hairless bleached flesh, with skin, toes/fingernails falling off, ulcerous sores - and a host of other crap I cant even say. 20 months into the fight it looked like we had won, till he had a backache one day. He died before I could catch a flight back.

Ive also had the pleasure/misfortune to personally and concurrently care for my wifes father who lived with us in our house with diabetes. Again, starting with a man full of life and vibrance and slowly watch the disease eat him away. It started with the toes, then the feet, knees to mid-thigh. Blind, on oxygen, diaylisis 4x a week. Skin, so dryed and cracked, itching all over. To find him praying for death in his bed, covered in arterial spray from his fistula, bathing my entire guest bedroom and bed on Christmas eve. He'd end up repeating this for 3 more years (9 in total) before he finally died.

Now the point of this isnt to gross you out but to give you a perspective into someones life who has gone through this. I'm sure you can get the sense of drive, myopia, and traumatic personal loss despite your fighting tooth and nail to help, both yourself and the person who is suffering from the illness to no avail.

Those of us to survive this ordeal are indelibly changed by this process - for better and worse, and have become hardend, polarized, steeley-eyed, disease killers on the other end (no pacifists in a foxhole). Please forgive us, if we happen to tread heavy in our unquenchable thirst for cold-revenge against our tormentors. If we happen to piss in your cheerios please dont take it personally, just as we will try to remember that there are others who dont share our zeal and motivations. In short we arent biased against any projects, but we are biased for some. I hope that you might see the difference.

There more than enough room for all of us in this fight!

-SS

sc00p
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Did you notice?... yes, "great" drama rehearsal in the air again...
...I just wish you to cool it down abit (whom am I to tell you to do that?).

Movieman
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Did you notice?... yes, "great" drama rehearsal in the air again...
...I just wish you to cool it down abit (whom am I to tell you to do that?).
No "drama", just an airing of some feelings so that everyone understands the other guys perspective.

To ShootStraight:
My hat's off to you for many reasons most important is your courage in dealing with the illnesses of those two people.
That takes a special type of person.
I'd also like to say that your message said what I haven't been able to verbalize.
The part about not being biased against some projects but biased towards others.
My Thanks to you for that. I just couldn't find the right words.

[XC] riptide
02-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I agree with you 100%. I posted what I did for one simple reason: Yesterday I had a lot of PM's with one guy and I got the feeling that he felt I wasn't a "team player" because I wasn't actively involved in the Vault.
I am in MJ12 and that's in the Vault the last time I checked.
It bothered me because I really like this guy.
I thought that if he can feel this others can also so I wanted to say how I felt.
There's no reason why we all can't get along as long as we respect the other guys right to do what he thinks is best.
Acceptance of the different thinking is what will be best for all of us in the long run.
I think everyone should stop saying that vault is 'something'. I mean is WCG not in 'The Vault' When we overtake Rochester will that not give us Vault points? I mean... why is it always a WCG-Vault theme. Sure isn't it all the same like? I don't like the 'Vault' label been used and bandied around either. It's like some sort of self inflicted segregation. I'd like not to be able to see any line between any project, or set of projects.

Oh and I don't want any dramatics here, and chest thumping. Its not becoming of us. :)

[XC]melymel
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm agreeing with a lot of views aired here and I think most are in agreement with each other if we all just read what others have written and taken it in rather than just scanning messages for reasons to start a flame war over :rolleyes:.

I the other day decided I was going to just stop DC as I couldn't see a point in spending money just to partake in arguing anymore but after re-consideration and an uncontrollable DC addiction I have decided other wise :p:. From now on ANY posts I see that could be cause for a flame war between users of different projects will be reported and I am going to just turn my back on the disputes and continue crunching in blissfull ignorance :p:. Argue all you want people but to be honest I can't see anything worth arguing over :confused:.

:toast:

[XC] 4X4N
02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I just checked the pi segment stats and see that mike has joined crunchers inc. WTF? This is what I'm talking about, why can't there be a general discussion without people getting offended? This is becoming no fun for me anymore.

Movieman
02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I just checked the pi segment stats and see that mike has joined crunchers inc. WTF? This is what I'm talking about, why can't there be a general discussion without people getting offended? This is becoming no fun for me anymore.
Mike told me early this am that he was moving to crunchers inc.
There's a bunch of factors here at play and you need to understand them all for any of this to make sense.
One is that by nature Mike moves around to different teams to try and motivate and build them. That is just his style and to be honest, it's a great idea. He comes into contact with lots of people this way.
I think he felt that he'd done all he could here and it was time to go push a new group of people and I wish him the best.
We were lucky to have him for the time we did and his work shouldn't be forgotten.
Good Luck Mike!:toast:

UCmajewski
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
But, The comments and mindset indicate, as I have said before, that most people here are biased AGAINST the vault projects and only see glory in WCG.

There is some truth to this statement .... I wish that people wouldn't negatively respond to their own team mates. At the same time though .... what I would strongly suggest is to simply ignore them. No one here can tell you what projects to run .... absolutely no one.

It doesn't equate in my mind that if you don't run one project .... you are some how dis servicing the other project. No one here can deny how successful the vault has been .... all other major teams compete in it ... so why not us ?

Quitting is not the solution, just run more of what you want to run and let the nay sayers ....well nay say thats what they are good at.

[XC] riptide
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
left SOB too.

Mike, thanks for putting that one box on SOB. It meant a lot to me, and you scored nice points. Actually if you look at free-dc stats I think you phucked up the page in your leaving :rofl: they're all over the place for today in the pie chart. :)

EDIT: As for the announcement, why don't you list projects that we are currently No. 1 in too! Just to bring more attention to show people we are good at DC. The projects listed we are not No. 1 in.

vaio
02-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Greetings :)

Hope you don't mind a guy from another team chipping in with a view.

Surely, the vault is just a "by-product" of the work we do and is supposed to add a fun and competitive element to things, rather than create different camps.

Sure, we all like to compete and sometimes take a run on a project that some of us may not be particularly enamoured with but the emphasis should always be to run whatever project one chooses to run with no pressure from elsewhere within the camp.

For example, last year almost all of my output was to our folding team despite being the captain of an overall dc team.

Some could say that for the team I should have put more into other projects but I didn't want to particularly, and at no time felt pressured by team-mates to do so.

After all, my work still goes to my teams overall contribution.

Most of us would agree that the likes of Folding and WCG are the most important projects (from a "helping humanity" view) but other projects have their merits too.........some more than others perhaps, but still.

The important thing is that the work is being done and the project preferences of individuals shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, if I were putting up a project list I would either do it alphabetically or simply by order of category. eg: just copy vault listing order.

Showing a united front and getting the message across that dc can be fun as well as helpful to humanity would seem to be the kind of message to get across to potential teamies.

Anyway, it's fun competing with you guys and I trust you will reach a concensus on any issues that arise.

Stats are fun, teams are fun..........but the number one thing is getting the work done for the good of future generations.

Regards

vaio.

*P.S....hope some of this makes sense, I should be asleep at 4 am, not typing :D *

vaio
02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I should add that:

1: I knew nothing of any situation re Mike til I got up half an hour ago and
2: Mike hasn't joined Crunchers Inc Pi team from what I can see.

Seems he has created his own team, good luck Mike :)