PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pelted NB?

Spec3
05-21-2003, 09:13 PM
If anyone has pelted their NB could you please post some pics of how your setup looks and just give a short blurb as to how you atached it to the mobo and what type of coldplate you used.

I am just getting into using pelts so any help of any kinda would be great

Thanks
Steve

:toast:

Teus
05-21-2003, 09:46 PM
a 40Watt peltier is more then enough. most ppl watercool it offcourse, the waterblock attached with screws through the mainboard

NB - coldplate - pelt - (another coldplate?) - waterblock

it's mounted the same way as a regular NB waterblock, except you've got a coldplate and a peltier between it

google around for some examples ;)

arte
06-02-2003, 10:07 PM
i tought about it but skipped it when i realized that my NB (845E) only develops 5.8W heat and i only had an 80W pelt. - Simply to much ICE over the mobo.

I had plans on squezing an MCW50T on it, but i am to lazy.

Just make sure to have onough pessure on the pelt.

]JR[
06-02-2003, 11:56 PM
I would imagine a NF2 mobo generates more like 50watts of heat, and with a chip that big im pretty sure you could just stick the tec straight on the chip without a coldplate, which lets you use just about any NB waterblock.

Opp tecs his NB iirc ask him for some photos...

]JR[

Teus
06-03-2003, 01:27 AM
what's the fuss, just mount it like you would on a vidcard.
@arte: give the TEC 5volt, it'll be fine

arte
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by ]JR[
I would imagine a NF2 mobo generates more like 50watts of heat,

50 WATTS??? An old P4 generates 50W........An 80W peltier isnt enough to cool 50 watts.

]JR[
06-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by arte
50 WATTS??? An old P4 generates 50W........An 80W peltier isnt enough to cool 50 watts.

It is but the dT wouldnt be too good. But im pretty sure my estimate is about right for a vdd'd nf2 northbridge.

]JR[

arte
06-03-2003, 03:26 AM
thats alot...

rabeb25
06-03-2003, 09:12 AM
custom 80watt on a dd z block, 172 on the swifty and a prommie for the good stuff:rocker:

Jeff
06-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Nice setup rabeb25! :slobber:

ellsworth
06-03-2003, 07:50 PM
rabeb25 are you using a coldplate on that 80w?

rabeb25
06-03-2003, 09:10 PM
yea i got it from here, good buy imo, I tried to make my own but this is a nice piece.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/exp-03.html

cygnus_x_1
06-05-2003, 01:10 PM
im thinking of going the pelt route on the nb as well...how did you guys attach the coldplate to the pelt/z-chip? just clamp it and artic adhesive?

rabeb25
06-05-2003, 02:03 PM
arctic ilumina here

AKRedneck
06-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Here's a modified Swifty MCW-40T on the Northbridge.. Works pretty good. This was a leaker on my vid card...needless to say she doesn't leak any more. I would say that an 80w pelt is just enough..no smaller. The NB puts out alot of heat when in excess of 2volts. Notice no vid card? She is awaiting final assembly of the modified MCW462-UH w/ 226 pelt...lol.. How bad have you got it?
:D

charlie
06-09-2003, 09:07 PM
guys,
can you just go: NB/Pelt/Waterblock???????????/
Fry's has these nifty little 40mm ones 57w, 12v, 6a
C

Teus
06-09-2003, 09:14 PM
@redneck: why is there silicone around the fittings
@charlie: NB - coldplate - pelt - WB

AKRedneck
06-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Teus
@redneck: why is there silicone around the fittings

Because the top of that waterblock is ultra thin.... barely a thread's worth for those npt fittings. There's some jbweld on the inside but the silicone was some added assurance. I coulda cleaned it up a little but it's fine. It has been running non-stop for the past few weeks w/ no leaks.. Maybe when everything else is finished I'll clean up the silicone and put a nice jbweld fillet around it..

oplix
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM
rabeb isn't that kinda low score for your setup? 22k for 9800 pro.

kchip
06-10-2003, 02:56 PM
rabeb225 ,

No doubt - you are my hero. lmao

ellsworth
06-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by charlie
guys,
can you just go: NB/Pelt/Waterblock???????????/

anyone? i would also like to know. i think it would be possible, but i would rather have someone tell me it works rather me stuff my mobo trying. :rolleyes:

JohnFish
06-10-2003, 09:15 PM
well I am a complete n00b when it comes to peltiers and this is my first post in these forums so please don't be harsh :rolleyes:

I was wandering about this matter the last few days but I have never thought about it seriously. my main issues that came to my mind reading this thread are:

1) why you can't just use a mcw50-t. does it need any modifications and what kind?
2) how are you going to insulate a nb?is it the same approach as with a cpu?
3) how are you going to secure a tec with the coldplate onto the z-chipset and how are you going to apply so much pressure that a pelt needs to run efficiently?

these are my simple yet important questions. thanks

charlie
06-10-2003, 10:03 PM
John,
:banana: Welcome to Xtreme!:banana:

Ok,
Yes the MCW50-t would make a pretty decent nb cooler EXCEPT
it's a little big for that part of a MB, AND the water outlets face up or down, paralell to the board, Again difficult on the mobo. 90 degree adapters maybe? And TBH, 80w is a bit Okill for a NB.
Insulate the NB-put d-grease on the pcb of the NB and AA epoxy on the chip, clamp and cure. After curing take a sheet of neoprene and cut out a square a bit smaller than the outline of your WB, then cut it's perimeter and push it under the WB and on top of the pcb. That'll be good enough.
Oh and BTW, we don't DO [H]arsh here :)

JohnFish
06-11-2003, 04:24 AM
right...and how about the z-chipset? how can you secure a peltier onto it?

gouda96
06-15-2003, 01:06 PM
How effective would it be for me to water cool my nb without a pelt if i am using an mcw5000-pt and an mcw50-t. Or should i just put on some small cpu cooler?

Teus
06-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by JohnFish
right...and how about the z-chipset? how can you secure a peltier onto it?
make sure the pelt is place right and use enough insulation (neoprene) around and under the CPU/mainboard

Originally posted by gouda96
How effective would it be for me to water cool my nb without a pelt if i am using an mcw5000-pt and an mcw50-t. Or should i just put on some small cpu cooler?
a small CPU cooler will get you a fair good temp. you can watercool it, but a NB block is more expensive then a CPU cooler

if you want to clock the hell out of your system, peltcool it.

gouda96
06-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Teus
make sure the pelt is place right and use enough insulation (neoprene) around and under the CPU/mainboard

a small CPU cooler will get you a fair good temp. you can watercool it, but a NB block is more expensive then a CPU cooler

if you want to clock the hell out of your system, peltcool it.

I don't want to pelt cool my nb. I was wondering if it would be better than pretty good air cooling to just regular water cool it if i already have a 226w and 80w pelt infront of it in an inline system.

arte
06-16-2003, 09:45 PM
gouda96:

My chipset (845E) gets very warm when ocing, it produces 5.8W heat original so its not much at all, but alot more when ocing.

The Chipset is my FSB limit, and i have a modified P3 cooler with a 60mm fan on it. Water is the only solution for me.

Check your temps, if u have like 50-70 degress on your chipset @ no load it might be a good idea to go for water.

What system do u have and what temps do u get with the 5000PT (have one myself)?

gouda96
06-17-2003, 01:09 PM
gouda96:

My chipset (845E) gets very warm when ocing, it produces 5.8W heat original so its not much at all, but alot more when ocing.

The Chipset is my FSB limit, and i have a modified P3 cooler with a 60mm fan on it. Water is the only solution for me.

Check your temps, if u have like 50-70 degress on your chipset @ no load it might be a good idea to go for water.

What system do u have and what temps do u get with the 5000PT (have one myself)?

I haven't setup my stuff yet, infact it is not all here yet. I won't get it goin for about 3 weeks probably, depending on what type of casemodding/construction i do(additional acrylic box possibly).

Not one person has answered my question. I am well aware that the nb gets hot, and can limit the oc...DUH. I want to know if it would be better for my to use a non pelted water block for the chipset in a system where i am using a 226w and 80w pelt already. Or would it be better for me to just put a nice sized aircooled hetsink on the nb.

i am not trying to be mean, but i thought it was a pretty straightforward question, but i guess i just can't word it right. I appreciate the responses, but just haven't gotten what i need yet. :bananal:

Teus
06-17-2003, 08:05 PM
watercool it if your water doesn't get too hot with all those pelts

arte
06-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I haven't setup my stuff yet, infact it is not all here yet. I won't get it goin for about 3 weeks probably, depending on what type of casemodding/construction i do(additional acrylic box possibly).

Not one person has answered my question. I am well aware that the nb gets hot, and can limit the oc...DUH. I want to know if it would be better for my to use a non pelted water block for the chipset in a system where i am using a 226w and 80w pelt already. Or would it be better for me to just put a nice sized aircooled hetsink on the nb.

i am not trying to be mean, but i thought it was a pretty straightforward question, but i guess i just can't word it right. I appreciate the responses, but just haven't gotten what i need yet. :bananal:

...well no one can tell exacty if u need it or not - there are lots of things that makes a diffrent....

A tip when installing the wb. It says in the manual that u shouldnt thighten the standoffs more then like 16lb, remember that when thighten the screws!!!!!....i §§§§ed mine up totaly so i had to do a homemade solution, not to prefer.

What powerlupply and rads are u using?
What exactly do you need?

gouda96
06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
...well no one can tell exacty if u need it or not - there are lots of things that makes a diffrent....

A tip when installing the wb. It says in the manual that u shouldnt thighten the standoffs more then like 16lb, remember that when thighten the screws!!!!!....i §§§§ed mine up totaly so i had to do a homemade solution, not to prefer.

What powerlupply and rads are u using?
What exactly do you need?

I will be very careful when screwing it in, i have heard all sorts of over-tightening horror stories. :( sorry to hear that you messed yours up. What exactly happened to it? How tight did you screw it in?

I am using an 86 chevette heatercore with dual evercool 120 mm fans with shrouds. meanwell 320 for the pelts, and an eheim 1250 for the pump.

I know i will need nb cooling, i just was wondering if it would be best to just add better air cooling, being that i would assume the water would get fairly hot with 306w of pelts.

thanks.

AKRedneck
06-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Based on your pelt load and the additional heat the processors put out, you've certainly got more than 306w of heat that your dissipating through your radiator. It sounds like your water temps may get a little warm. I would say either good air cooling or purchase another radiator (smaller than existing maybe) to run in series with your existing radiator to help get a handle on the water temps, then water cool the nb. If you've got a spare pump you could just run a separate loop just for your nb.

There really are many different options you could pursue. It boils down to what works best for you, your budget, and your level of performance.. If it were up to me, I'd just slap another pelt on that nb and get some more radiator capacity...
:YIPPIE:

gouda96
06-18-2003, 01:23 PM
I think I will just use as3 epoxy and stick on a stock amd cpu cooler, or i might get a zalman with a 40/50mm fan for like $7. It is cheap, and if it is worse to aircool, it can't be that much worse with my heatload.

thanks

Weapon
06-25-2003, 01:54 PM
i will have to post pics when I get home (at work at the moment) -

abit nf7-s - northbridge cooling is a dangerden maze 2-1 with the stock coldplate hacked to fit around the caps and other obstacles.
80watt pelt
acrylic conformal coating and silicone conformal coating along with some neoprene on the back of the board to stop any condensation (it was a minor problem -- 80 watt pelt on n bridge + vapochill on cpu = cold mobo)

I mounted it by measuring the placement of the mounting holes for the factory n.bridge cooler - then I drilled and tapped 4 x 40 holes in the base of the coldplate to match and used 4x40 threaded rods with nylon and rubber washers to lock it down.

1/2 inch tubing and fittings throughout the loop with a Rainbow lifeguard moving 1140 gph. Rad is a black ice extreme because I could make it fit in the factory PSU mounting location on the vapochill case (i moved the PSU to the compressor compartment)

it keeps the n. bridge nice and chilly.

gouda96
06-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon
i will have to post pics when I get home (at work at the moment) -

abit nf7-s - northbridge cooling is a dangerden maze 2-1 with the stock coldplate hacked to fit around the caps and other obstacles.
80watt pelt
acrylic conformal coating and silicone conformal coating along with some neoprene on the back of the board to stop any condensation (it was a minor problem -- 80 watt pelt on n bridge + vapochill on cpu = cold mobo)

I mounted it by measuring the placement of the mounting holes for the factory n.bridge cooler - then I drilled and tapped 4 x 40 holes in the base of the coldplate to match and used 4x40 threaded rods with nylon and rubber washers to lock it down.

1/2 inch tubing and fittings throughout the loop with a Rainbow lifeguard moving 1140 gph. Rad is a black ice extreme because I could make it fit in the factory PSU mounting location on the vapochill case (i moved the PSU to the compressor compartment)

it keeps the n. bridge nice and chilly.

That setup :bananal: my setup :D. Sounds awesome, i can't wait to see pics of that. How loud is that pump, how much did it cost, where did you get it, and how big is it (I guess i will see that in the pics :D)

Sounds sweet!!

Weapon
06-25-2003, 06:31 PM
That setup :bananal: my setup :D. Sounds awesome, i can't wait to see pics of that. How loud is that pump, how much did it cost, where did you get it, and how big is it (I guess i will see that in the pics :D)

Sounds sweet!!

thanks. :)

the Rainbow pumps are normally anywhere from $125-150 online but you can catch them on sale for $100. I know that sounds kind of expensive but they will outlast a fricken case of cheap pumps and probably 3 or 4 of the usual other H2O pumps so they are well worth the $100.

link to the best price I could find with a quick search:
http://store.yahoo.com/marinedepot/quiet-one-vertical-output-water-pump-pump-powerhead--external-pumps--quiet-one.html

snippage:
"The Quiet One has a Single Speed Motor rated at 1140 GPH at full flow and yields 724 GPH through a 1" line at 4 feet. Includes 3/4" and 1/2" fittings; female inlet, male outlet."

as far as being quiet goes, I would have never believed the damn thing moves 1140gph based on the noise it makes. It is close to silent.

semi-old (taken shortly after I got everything thrown into the vapochill case) pic:

Weapon
06-25-2003, 06:36 PM
the Rainbow is fairly clear in the lower right of the pic.

the maze 2 with the semi-fugly grey closedcell foam is mid center -- color of the foam with be changed soon

it is obviously a little larger than the average n.bridge cooler :)

the 120mm fan on the left is in the old factory PSU mounting location - the black ice extreme is mounted flush to the back side of the case right against that 120.

v mod wires all over the place in that pic. :eek:

gouda96
06-25-2003, 07:18 PM
thanks. :)

the Rainbow pumps are normally anywhere from $125-150 online but you can catch them on sale for $100. I know that sounds kind of expensive but they will outlast a fricken case of cheap pumps and probably 3 or 4 of the usual other H2O pumps so they are well worth the $100.

link to the best price I could find with a quick search:
http://store.yahoo.com/marinedepot/quiet-one-vertical-output-water-pump-pump-powerhead--external-pumps--quiet-one.html

snippage:
"The Quiet One has a Single Speed Motor rated at 1140 GPH at full flow and yields 724 GPH through a 1" line at 4 feet. Includes 3/4" and 1/2" fittings; female inlet, male outlet."

as far as being quiet goes, I would have never believed the damn thing moves 1140gph based on the noise it makes. It is close to silent.

semi-old (taken shortly after I got everything thrown into the vapochill case) pic:

Looks fabulous:exclamati:toast:

I think i am going to get a rainbow when i find one for a good price. I will use my 1250 for just the gpu, and maybe the nb. I need to find an nb that is about the size of 2 120mm fans stacked ontop of oneanother. I will cut out the inside of the front of the chenming case i have coming, from the 5.25" bays down is the size i want. I think it would be a nice be rad with a good easy fit. Then i could use my 86 chevette for my gpu and nb.

Weapon
06-26-2003, 11:26 PM
I need to find an nb that is about the size of 2 120mm fans stacked ontop of oneanother. I will cut out the inside of the front of the chenming case i have coming, from the 5.25" bays down is the size i want. I think it would be a nice be rad with a good easy fit. Then i could use my 86 chevette for my gpu and nb.

you typed "nb that is about the size of 2 120mm fans stacked on top of one another" ---don't worry, I knew what you meant (unless there is one big mamma jamma north bridge out there that I don't know about) :)

anyway, 2 120mm fans clamped together measure about 238mm (just a hair over 9 5/16") from the top of the frame to the bottom of the other frame (that is using SanAce 120s).

closest I could find to those dimensions that was in stock anywhere was heatercore # 2-471 which is 9.5" x 5.625" x 2" (not including the tanks)
2-471 is used in:
82-84 Buick SKYHAWK
82-84 Pontiac 2000/ SUNBIRD
81-84 Cadillac CIMARRON
82-84 Oldsmobile FIRENZA
82-84 Chevrolet CAVALIER

autozone part info:
GDI 398201 $32.99

pic here:
http://12.18.239.202/heatercores/2-471.jpg

there is another one that is close but it was only used on a fricken merkur import and the pricetag on it is $100+ in any of the places that I could find it.

gouda96
06-27-2003, 07:03 PM
you typed "nb that is about the size of 2 120mm fans stacked on top of one another" ---don't worry, I knew what you meant (unless there is one big mamma jamma north bridge out there that I don't know about) :)

anyway, 2 120mm fans clamped together measure about 238mm (just a hair over 9 5/16") from the top of the frame to the bottom of the other frame (that is using SanAce 120s).

closest I could find to those dimensions that was in stock anywhere was heatercore # 2-471 which is 9.5" x 5.625" x 2" (not including the tanks)
2-471 is used in:
82-84 Buick SKYHAWK
82-84 Pontiac 2000/ SUNBIRD
81-84 Cadillac CIMARRON
82-84 Oldsmobile FIRENZA
82-84 Chevrolet CAVALIER

autozone part info:
GDI 398201 $32.99

pic here:
http://12.18.239.202/heatercores/2-471.jpg

there is another one that is close but it was only used on a fricken merkur import and the pricetag on it is $100+ in any of the places that I could find it.

I meant nb, I realy want one that is closer to the size of a small tug-bot...

anyway...

thanks alot. Sounds great i am going to try to get one of those at my local napa. Seems like it would be a perfect fit.