PDA

View Full Version : How do I overclock a Intel Core 2 Duo E4300?

Kingbabi
02-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I usually build my own PCs, but I had the opportunity to acquire a Dell for a good deal. I read up on the specs, and I found dozens of articles saying how amazing the E4300 was at overclocking. Right now it's at 1.8 Ghz, and seeing as I've never overclocked before, I would really appreciate it if you could go over it in great detail. I know my way around computers and hardware, but in this case I'll need you to be very straighforward.
I want to get it up to 2.0-2.3, and I'd like to know any if there would be and adverse effects. (Every article had it overclocked to above 3.3-and running smoothly).
Thanks a lot!

da_h00k
02-07-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that Dell has locked BIOS - find out.

breakfromyou
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Only some of the most expensive Dells allow overclocking. Even then, i'm pretty sure its to their presets, no manual overclocking allowed.

you sir, made a mistake.

Nephilim
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Find the clock generator IC and download the correct corresponding version of clockgen from www.cpuid.org and see if it lets you change the values :)

You may have to use memset (tool available through these forums, use search) to loosen the timings since you cannot change the divider on that board.

However, you're not going to be able to change voltages, so either CPU or RAM are going to top out pretty quick-smart.

You could however try the 266 FSB pin mod for E4300's, but it might be a bit risky unless you know what you're doing.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4919011&postcount=40

Note: you have to connect the BSEL pads on the CPU as shown in the last image.