PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Questions - Price Cuts? 90 to 65nm? Bigger HD? When?

Drunner611
02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
So, I'm really looking into getting a 360 but I have a few questions first. Is there going to be a price drop in the near future? Are they ever going to upgrade the processors from 90 to 65nm? Is Microsoft ever going to expand the HD capacity? Also, I lack a HDTV but am wondering if the $40 VGA cable would be worth hooking up to a 19" CRT or LCD monitor? Thanks for your replies in advance.

NoPeace
02-04-2007, 06:44 PM
So, I'm really looking into getting a 360 but I have a few questions first. Is there going to be a price drop in the near future? Are they ever going to upgrade the processors from 90 to 65nm?

Yes they are going to be comming out with a cheaper 65nm units. Though when will they be released is still a mystery. I've heard in March and as late as August. So hopefully some time in Q2 they'll be out.

Is Microsoft ever going to expand the HD capacity?

You mean HD as in High Definiation? Or HD as in hard drive? Anyways the answer is yes to both. They are planning on releaseing a 120gb HDD in Q2 and HDMI cables in the future.

Also, I lack a HDTV but am wondering if the $40 VGA cable would be worth hooking up to a 19" CRT or LCD monitor? Thanks for your replies in advance.

If you have a 19" widescreen LCD or larger that can do a 14x9 or higher resolution then yes. Since you'll be able to run games at 720p then. Though make sure you have some speakers to hook up to it also.

NoPeace - out

Drunner611
02-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks. I suppose the real question is whether or not these changes will happen in March and before or after the release of Halo 3. I'm going to wait to buy one of these until the changes are made, but Its going to be painful to watch the release of Halo 3 go by first. This is probably what $soft wants anyway.

Arkangyl
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Halo edition 360? wouldn't suprise me.

I thought MS said there wasn't going to be a hard drive upgrade, something about streaming content and all. They def. said no to a 'black' edition with HD-dvd built in and 120gb w/ HDMI.

Lt_JWS
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I'd love an Halo 3 360....:slobber:

NoPeace
02-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Halo edition 360? wouldn't suprise me.

I thought MS said there wasn't going to be a hard drive upgrade, something about streaming content and all. They def. said no to a 'black' edition with HD-dvd built in and 120gb w/ HDMI.

Yeah the black edition is a defo no but there are tons of articles and pics of the 120gb drives for the x360.

And for HDMI from what I've read it's very likely thing to happen. Just if its going to be a new system or an addon is a different story.

NOpeace - out

Lestat
02-19-2007, 10:09 AM
there are tons of articles and pics of the 120gb drives for the x360

show me, all specualtion of a 120gig drive is exactly that, speculation, and nothing more. nothing from microsoft has been confirmed.
infact its already been denied.
it was back in early Jan or Late Dec. microsoft said publically that they have no present plans to release a larger hard drive.

i mean lets be real here, if they are screwing us up the pooper for 100 bucks for a drive worth 1/3 that, what do you suppose they will charge for a 120gig drive.

do YOU even know what a 120gig SATA 2.5" laptop hard drive costs? i doubt it, or maybe you dont care, you'd buy it anyways?.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-29199-391020.html

there ya go take a look. i'd guarentee that if they did come out with one it would be 200 bucks easy. or atleast close to it.

20 gigs was never enough to begin with, and at the current pricing scheme, the 120 will be insanely priced.

and lastly there has been NO confirmation onthe 65nm console being cheaper, NONE!!
Infact microsoft has denied any and all questions of a price drop. all they did say was, all consoles go thru price changes in their life cycle. but never once has MS EVER said or hinted at the 65nm chips making the console cheaper. its pure speculation simply because the 65nm chips are cheaper to produce.

If you have a 19" widescreen LCD or larger that can do a 14x9 or higher resolution then yes. Since you'll be able to run games at 720p then. Though make sure you have some speakers to hook up to it also.

im sorry 14x9 ????
you can use a CRT, and infact it looks better on a CRT.
the max you can go is 1920x1080 on a 16x9 or 16x10 LCD monitor, so if you have a 24" dell 2407 you can use that to get 1080p, or use a CRT and get 1366x768. or whatever resolution works for you.
the xbox doesnt use monitor recognition like a PC does, it doesnt know the limitations of your CRT/LCD, it only does what you tell it to.

(in regards to all of the above)
this is the kind of unconfirmed and non researched garbage that needs to stop. educate people with questions like this with facts or the best info you can find, don't just go quoting and blabbering with the Inquirer states or what your friends friend's buddy told you, or you heard.

Kingcarcas
02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
It's all been denied, but MS is making money on every 360 sold right now and the production costs on the 360 will only get lower with the 65nm Xenon. It only makes sense that they will drop the price this year, but it is getting out of hand with all these rumors.
I'm just sitting here patiently diddling my thumbs waiting for it to happen:D Then i'll get my 360 with Halo 3.:banana:

Starscream
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
they will only drop prices when the sales drop to hard.

going from 90nm to 65nm simply means theyl make more money per console it wont mean theyl drop prices for us.

JAWS
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm just sitting here patiently diddling my thumbs waiting for it to happen:D Then i'll get my 360 with Halo 3.:banana:

Amen to that.

Does anyone remember how long MS waited to cut xbox prices?

Terryb47
03-01-2007, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't expect 65nm anytime soon, it's not like an AMD/Intel chip: you couldn't know when they were implemented: they surely wouldn't announce it big. People would only buy the new version, leaving the old boxes to rot.

When the time is right, (when MS is through all their 90nm chips) they'll just implement 65nm, just like they are constantly switching to newer DVD-drives without announcing it.