PDA

View Full Version : OSX on PC

D_o_S
02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi,

is this possible? How hard is it to do? A friend can lend me the installation CD for OS X...

TIA

nn_step
02-04-2007, 09:32 AM
it is possible if you have the OSX for x86. However you may have driver issues or similar problems.

D_o_S
02-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, my friend has a MacBook Pro.. I will use his CD

What do I have to do to get it to run? Can I just insert the CD?

nn_step
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
basically insert the CD and hopes it accepts your chipset and graphics

Mr. Popo
02-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Don't you need EFI?

D_o_S
02-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Also, is it worth doing? (I guess asking that in this part of the forum only has one positive answer)

D_o_S
02-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Also, is it worth doing? (I guess asking that in this part of the forum only has one positive answer)

cky2k6
02-04-2007, 10:23 AM
theres betas that dont require efi. my friend has osx on a x2 4400 with a asus mobo, but the sound doesnt work as theres no drivers. you might get it to work, but very unlikely to work well...

Mr. Popo
02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
theres betas that dont require efi. my friend has osx on a x2 4400 with a asus mobo, but the sound doesnt work as theres no drivers. you might get it to work, but very unlikely to work well...
Those are illegal.

nn_step
02-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Those are illegal.
not exactly

Mr. Popo
02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
not exactly
The "OSx86" copy is illegal.

nn_step
02-04-2007, 10:58 AM
The "OSx86" copy is illegal.
unless you buy it retail, which you actually can do ;)

Mr. Popo
02-04-2007, 11:05 AM
unless you buy it retail, which you actually can do ;)
I'm not talking about the Apple OS X for x86, I'm talking about the one that is labeled as "OSx86", the copy that is shared illegally.

nn_step
02-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm not talking about the Apple OS X for x86, I'm talking about the one that is labeled as "OSx86", the copy that is shared illegally.
I don't see how it is a problem to use it if you legally own a copy of OSX.
IT is kinda like saying, hey I bought Windows XP and modified it for my own uses by adding the drivers for my PC onto the CD.

Mr. Popo
02-04-2007, 11:17 AM
IT is kinda like saying, hey I bought Windows XP and modified it for my own uses by adding the drivers for my PC onto the CD.
Well Apple is not too happy with it, the fact is it's illegal to link it.
You may think it's ok, but Apple does not.

nn_step
02-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Well Apple is not too happy with it, the fact is it's illegal to link it.
You may think it's ok, but Apple does not.
True, because apple seems to think being a "whole System Provider" would be best for their financial future. Which actually cuts deeply into their growth potential. They have an extremely user friendly OS and it supports a good list of games http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/PPC_Games
and for the standard home user it is a great product if they didn't have to buy Apple specific hardware. Heck a copy of OSX costs more than the home edition of Vista

Celeron Gamer
02-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Doesn't apple :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: because OSX is not running on their apple branded PC?

Anyways, been running OSx86 for 2 years haha

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
02-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Doesn't apple :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: because OSX is not running on their apple branded PC?

Anyways, been running OSx86 for 2 years haha
2 years? i thought apple just made the switch one year ago.

anyway, i have osx on my thinkpad, it's nice.

D_o_S
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
2 years? i thought apple just made the switch one year ago.

anyway, i have osx on my thinkpad, it's nice.

You can run it through an emu afaik

lowfat
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Even if you have a valid copy of Mac OS X that isn't installed on a Mac. It is still illegal. It says right in the license agreement that it must be installed on a Mac computer.

Mr. Popo
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Even if you have a valid copy of Mac OS X that isn't installed on a Mac. It is still illegal. It says right in the license agreement that it must be installed on a Mac computer.
lol, no Mac OS X for us. :nono:

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
:rolleyes:

perry_78
02-07-2007, 09:07 AM
It's illegal to crack the software to run on a PC.

The thinkpad support forum has a good thread on getting it to run on a thinkpad, basically you want a Jas or Hotisto rip, then set it up and running, then upgrade.

dinos22
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Lestat that was a stupid comment

OCX is legal IF you have a CD...you can load it 100000000 times if you like

Vapor
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
OCX is legal IF you have a CD...you can load it 100000000 times if you like0 of which times can be on a non-Mac.

dinos22
02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
0 of which times can be on a non-Mac.
oh actually that is a fair point...guess they may have a different license agreement on mac but apple dealer i used to deal with told me that even if you have a copy of apple OS and not original and you load it on it's fine lol ( i guess that's on apple anyways :))

nn_step
02-09-2007, 06:39 PM
offically the OSX EULA states

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."

mukmaster
02-10-2007, 12:23 PM
OSx86 can be install in VMware and Stuff but make sure you own a developer concle or it's illeage.

LilGator
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM

So get a nice Apple sticker, and slap it on your PC. Whalla - your PC is now "Apple-labled".

Regardless, who cares, illegal or not - if you want to do it, go for it ... if not, don't complain about people who do.

TopherTony
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I have it running on my 680i and it offers no network functionality. I think the x86 version was optimized for the intel 915 chipset. not sure tho

LilGator
03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I have it running on my 680i and it offers no network functionality. I think the x86 version was optimized for the intel 915 chipset. not sure tho

You can pick up a network card that's supported if you want, 680i is too new and not a lot of work has been done to get it playing nice with OSx86.

Watch this thread for updates on 680i though: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40182&st=0&p=286701&hl=680i&#entry286701

As of now 975 works nicely, 945 as well, and even 965 is pretty solid on OSx86. I'm sure 680i is soon to follow, as nForce chipsets were supported back in the day :)

JAWS
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76565

I had the dev kit in 05, just the wrong hardware. After a lot of questions I found out devx86 was on the 915 chipset.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1083902&postcount=17

lol it wasn't much, but everything graphics wise was supported.

[XC] ruane
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
It is almost certainally a bit dodgy, I have it running on my Dell Inspiron 6000, Dual Booting with XP, works surpirsingly well, there are only a few niggly problems with it, no Wireless Drivers for the Intel 2200BG that is in it, the screen always runs at 1024x768 and I cannot make it run at 1280x800 (if anyone can help, it would be appreciated), no Audio Drivers for the onboard card, although I can plug in my External Live! 24Bit and it works perfectly! There is no battery monitoring, although it still works perfectly off Batteries.

All in all, for a system that was never supposed to be run on that sort of hardware, its quite impressive that it works with extremley few faults!

Ruan

Atom
03-11-2007, 04:21 PM
i tried installing it in vmware,i saw guide a guide but kept giving me errors not being able to read the cd
i tried several times with different settings still no go
I'm going to look for a better guide tonight

hstuehmeyer2000
03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
just do a native install, its much faster

please do not link to that site

FlimFlam00
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Check out this Hackintosh - e6600 with osx86.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2927/71593823ky2.jpg

Nykwil
03-17-2007, 09:47 AM

good to see my computer is getting free promotions ;)

FlimFlam00
03-17-2007, 11:49 AM
;) :)

oharag
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
True, because apple seems to think being a "whole System Provider" would be best for their financial future. Which actually cuts deeply into their growth potential. They have an extremely user friendly OS and it supports a good list of games http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/PPC_Games
and for the standard home user it is a great product if they didn't have to buy Apple specific hardware. Heck a copy of OSX costs more than the home edition of Vista

There is only one version of OSX for Mac users (besides that fact there is a server version as well). I kind of like that. I hear there's five versions for the new Vista. What he F???? Stupid.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Vista Home Basic (doesn't do much - look at comparison chart):
Suggested retail price for full package product, $199.00 USD.

Home Premium:
Suggested retail price for full package product, $239.00 USD.

MacOS Tiger:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/
Single User $129.00
MultiUser $199.00 (install on up to five computers) - no such thing from Microsucks

Comes with:
XCode 2 (advanced developer tools)
X11 - Recompile thousands of free Unix tools/programs to run along side MacOSX programs
XGrid - create a supercomputer grid easily
Webobjects - create application specific apps
and more to come

Oh and no stupid activation scheme

FlimFlam00
03-17-2007, 12:55 PM
There is only one version of OSX for Mac users (besides that fact there is a server version as well). I kind of like that. I hear there's five versions for the new Vista. What he F???? Stupid.

Well people like choice. Some people hate choice. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I am not fully bent on the idea of a one size fits all OS.

All of the OS's suck equally but I enjoy them all and try not to get on particular sect's bandwagon.

I have a Mac, a Linux box, and dual boot XP/Vista. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

You talk about what is in OSX - funny when MS ties or bundles stuff in their are called monopolists, and fined exorbitantly.

oharag
03-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Well people like choice. Some people hate choice. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I am not fully bent on the idea of a one size fits all OS.

All of the OS's suck equally but I enjoy them all and try not to get on particular sect's bandwagon.

I have a Mac, a Linux box, and dual boot XP/Vista. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

You talk about what is in OSX - funny when MS ties or bundles stuff in their are called monopolists, and fined exorbitantly.

You have to be kidding, right? Mac users are blamed for drinking the Jobs Koolaid. What the hell are you on?

FlimFlam00
03-18-2007, 08:27 AM
You have to be kidding, right? Mac users are blamed for drinking the Jobs Koolaid. What the hell are you on?

I'll tell you what I am not on: Steve Jobs's nuts like Tarzan.

arisythila
03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
hahahahaha....

crazyea
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I'll tell you what I am not on: Steve Jobs's nuts like Tarzan.

nice.....lol

cursivearmy1
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Just got my hackintosh working today
now I gotta put all the components back in the case
and I will post pix laterz!
My CPU isn't recognized in about this mac though (Pentium D 820)
It said on the wiki I would need Semthex patch but I never used it so maybe that's why.
Specs
Pentium D 820
Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2
2x 512mb Samsung DDR2-533

Peace.

p.s. how can I change the resi with osx86
it only lets me select 1280x1024
:)

mukmaster
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Haha I went hackintosh back when the p4patch first came out and all of those crazy guys leaked vids of them installing it on the AMD athlon 3000+'s

Atom
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
i have tried everything for it to work under vmware but it never does
it's either the iso isn't the correct one or i'm missing something real critical but i follow all the steps though
o well maybe one day i'll haave it to run with a better tutorial

hstuehmeyer2000
05-14-2007, 10:28 PM
just do a native install, its alot less hassle

BlaqMale
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
posting with my hackintosh pc, full sound + hardware accelerated video, 2048x1536 resolution too. my hackingtosh is faster than every dual core macintosh :D

cursivearmy1
05-15-2007, 06:11 PM
i wish i could get my :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing ethernet to work
i put in an intel card and it detects it
just wont go online
:(

hstuehmeyer2000
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
go to the wiki and look it up

mrcape
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Here's a nice detailed thread by a guy who installed the jas version on a badaxe2 -

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=46317&st=0

Looks pretty good to me. Plus it's still active thread.

FlimFlam00
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I wonder if anyone has it working on a 680i chipset?

Senater_Cache
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
I doubt it, considering all macs run on intel chipsets these days...unless someone hacked a driver.

`danny
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Will Leopard provide better support for other systems or are they sticking to the only on a MAC

psyconut713
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
so far as publicly known, Apple will only sell OS X for use on Mac's

lowfat
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Will Leopard provide better support for other systems or are they sticking to the only on a MAC

never going to happen. The reason people buy mac's is for the OS. If they sold it for other systems, they would never sell computers.

ineedaname
07-31-2007, 08:56 AM
If you ask me its a poor decision by apple to not open up their OS to PC computers.

Of course their hardware sales may suffer a bit but just look at Microsoft and u can see the potential.

In this case I would definitely say the pros outweigh the cons.

zabomb4163
07-31-2007, 09:01 AM
why not load a linux distro if your interested in alternative OS. Or load unix (osx is just unix with a modified GUI)

lowfat
07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
If you ask me its a poor decision by apple to not open up their OS to PC computers.

Of course their hardware sales may suffer a bit but just look at Microsoft and u can see the potential.

no way. Hardware sales would be non existent IMO, I work for Apple and i know I sure wouldn't buy one of their computers if i could get OS X stable on a PC.

OS X sells for $149 generally, where on average lets say their computers cost almost 10X that, they would have to have a significant jump in OS sales to do well..

And one of the reasons OS X runs well is because it is only designed to run on a handful hardware configurations. Not 200 different videos, 200 different motherboards, chipsets, CPUs, SATA controllers.

They would have to put so much more work into their OS production in order for it to be stable on everything, therefor increasing costs of the OS, soon we have a $250+ OS, meaning less people will buy it..

zanzabar
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
why not load a linux distro if your interested in alternative OS. Or load unix (osx is just unix with a modified GUI)

its a moded free bsd kernel

and if u want to install it but are mising drivers, dload the linux drivers then mod probe then ur done, the 680i and intel chipsets all have full linux drivers

ineedaname
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
no way. Hardware sales would be non existent IMO, I work for Apple and i know I sure wouldn't buy one of their computers if i could get OS X stable on a PC.

OS X sells for $149 generally, where on average lets say their computers cost almost 10X that, they would have to have a significant jump in OS sales to do well..

And one of the reasons OS X runs well is because it is only designed to run on a handful hardware configurations. Not 200 different videos, 200 different motherboards, chipsets, CPUs, SATA controllers.

They would have to put so much more work into their OS production in order for it to be stable on everything, therefor increasing costs of the OS, soon we have a $250+ OS, meaning less people will buy it..

Although you have to spend 10x on the hardware that doesn't mean apple makes 10x the money. The smartest way to get around not losing hardware sales is by opening it up to different hardware but only provide 100% support for their own hardware. More like saying "Its there if you want it but you'll still have to buy our hardware if you want 100% compatibility"

This way they can gain a lot more OS sales without sacraficing hardware sales. It would make a good stepping stone before concentrating on getting the OS sales up.

The only reason why osx is so cheap is cuz it doesn't work on any other hardware. They could charge more for a PC version of the OS.

I feel that their hardware division is really holding them back. Besides be honest there are plenty of people out there who buy macs because they think its cool or whatever and not necessarily for the OS only. With all these people making statements like "I'm so glad that I've joined the mac community". That only works to help apple with their more loyal customer base.

Also don't forget that macbooks and imacs ARE competitively priced for what they offer. I'm pretty sure opening up the OS won't detract from their sales. Its more likely that people who already have a laptop will buy the OS.

EvlUndrWareNome
08-03-2007, 08:20 AM
only mac you say ?

*rushes to work*

*spraypaints monitor and pc white*

*superglues apple to side of pc* I chose a granny smith green model, red will due as well!

*Grabs a sharpie, writes MACinTOSH on pc case.

Bam I can now install MAC OSx!

selectodude
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
only mac you say ?

*rushes to work*

*spraypaints monitor and pc white*

*superglues apple to side of pc* I chose a granny smith green model, red will due as well!

*Grabs a sharpie, writes MACinTOSH on pc case.

Bam I can now install MAC OSx!
My Mac is bare aluminium.

Moto7451
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
its a moded free bsd kernel

and if u want to install it but are mising drivers, dload the linux drivers then mod probe then ur done, the 680i and intel chipsets all have full linux drivers

OS X is actually based on the Mach Micro-kernel and Free BSD.

Also OS X doesn't work that way. Apple use's it's own kernel extension system for various technical reasons. I won't get into the nitty gritty of it but it is a good way of implementing extensions, but isn't compatible with BSD or for that matter Linux extensions.

Apple once tried licensing it's OS and they only lost money on it. They'd have to charge more than what OEMs would like to pay for a license to make money at it. Making just $100-$200 on the Mac Mini is easier for them to accomplish than it is to try to sell OS X to an OEM for that price.

Shaz
08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
What's wrong with them offering OSX as an OS then extras with Apple machines that apply to their hardware, they're using the C2D so it's not like it's their hardware as much as it used to be.

The laptops are things of beauty though.

selectodude
08-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Apple doesn't make money on the OS division. Selling the number of copies they do for 129 isn't profitable. OS X for whitebox PCs would have to be 400 or 500 dollars, and everyone would pirate it anyway.

Shaz
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
They could easily find ways of making profit seeing as they'd sell so many more copies than they already do. That coupled with a probably increase in their accessories dept. would create a much bigger profit.

selectodude
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
They could easily find ways of making profit seeing as they'd sell so many more copies than they already do. That coupled with a probably increase in their accessories dept. would create a much bigger profit.
I disagree.

Software development isn't free and Apple holds 0 percent of the corporate market where all the money is. It's a terrible idea for them.

lowfat
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Apple doesn't make money on the OS division. Selling the number of copies they do for 129 isn't profitable. OS X for whitebox PCs would have to be 400 or 500 dollars, and everyone would pirate it anyway.

Definitely agree.

Shaz
08-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Microsoft make money with what's seen by so many as an inferior OS, I don't see what stops Apple.

selectodude
08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Microsoft make money with what's seen by so many as an inferior OS, I don't see what stops Apple.
Microsoft relies completely on vendor lock in.

Obscured
08-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Apple can sell OS X to improve iPods and iPhones selling.

djcrossfade
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
so can i run mac on a intel quad 6850

man if i can with my 4 wd 1,000 rpm hard drives that would make me very happy

messerchmidt
08-18-2007, 11:40 PM
google the "insanely mac forum" and "project OSx86" - mroe info there for "educational purposes only" ;-)

a guy named JaS was putting up versions of it. essentially 10.4.3 kernal with 10.4.9 framework. never ran 100%. I was bored and had it on my old opteron 165 box. I am not an apple guy - went back to xp after 3 days.

yes its illegal, but works anyways. morality police dont flame this post... i think the guy has his answer.

apple is a backwards company, their OS is a waste - run windows or linux. hell OSX is linux! (well unix)

I am waiting for apple trusted platform efi emulation boards to appear from China, would make my day...LOL (would not run MAC OS, but would put a smile on my face to see them stick it to apple - stupid restrictions on everything, I hate that company! &ipods suck!!!)

Obscured
09-20-2007, 11:06 AM
yep, there is a bunch of stupid restrictions from Apple.
But the same Mac OS X is far more usable than Windows Vista,
iPhone is more aesthetic than HTC Touch,
iPods offer more choice for individuals,
etc...

sky
09-23-2007, 01:51 AM
What's wrong with them offering OSX as an OS then extras with Apple machines that apply to their hardware, they're using the C2D so it's not like it's their hardware as much as it used to be.

The laptops are things of beauty though.

easy. just think about the bazillion different graphics cards for pcs to begin with - and i'm only thinking of the two main players in the retail market. then think of all the different chipsets in pcs, even current pcs. i965, i975, i975x, p38, p35 (or whatever) and the multitude of amd chipsets, add the nvidia chipsets to the lot. different cpus, too..
oh and what about all the additional junk you can stick inside your pc, tv cards, physics cards, card cards (joke)... ?

that is a nightmare for anyone trying to write a good and stable os. the one big advantage apple has is that they know *exactly* what they are developing their stuff for. in a way it's like writing software for a console, be it xbox or ps or the nintendo thingies. you know what you're up against. and having a limited target range of hardware surely helps loads. see the problems vista had when it was released with drivers and all that stuff?
while a multitude of options regarding hardware updates is nice from the users point of view, it gives you pains in the bollock area if you have to make it work as an os-software engineer. and if you have made it work, you'll then have the humble task of keeping it working - support and all that... part manufacturer, part software company...

sad as it is - i'd love to see osx on actual pc (being able to run it legally) but it will not happen, for above mentioned reasons.

PyroFire
09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
no idea why youd want osx on a non mac..

m3nf
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Maybe because it's a better OS, windows only has one thing going for it currently and that's the gaming market, the rest osx is better most of the time.

hstuehmeyer2000
09-28-2007, 07:08 PM

maybe just to try a different os?

Obscured
09-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I agree with both previous authors.
Of course i wanna Hackintosh just 'cause it is different OS.
But all the vast majority of 3D PC games is supported only by Windows.
So the only option is to install Windows and UNIX (Mac OS X or Linux) simulteniously on one PC.

tiborrr
10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
OSX 10.4.8 works great on my HP Pavilion DV6231eu notebook with except of webcam, bluetooth (just need right driver) and (sometimes) wireless lan. Had to use AppleAzalia driver for sound to work right, hell, even my GeForce 7400go works properly in OpenGL, stable as rock. Even my motorola razr v3 cellular phone's USB connection works without any driver installation, it started automatically recharging itself and represented itself as an new drive (in Win you'd need a special software + driver). Even easier is with printers and scanners.

Although i had system corruption problems with upgrading to 10.4.10 or upgrading the Transmission. Avoid those actions then. :rolleyes:

Also, install yourself an QWERTZ/Y PC keyboard layout or you'll be lost :D. E.g.: @ is accessible with PC's Winkey+Shift+2... :D

ginnz
10-07-2007, 08:41 AM

wow, those drives must be insanely slow....:shocked: :rofl:

FabricioGS
10-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I just re-installed OS X here and now with 3D enabled on my 8800 GTX

I'm just waiting my G5 case to do my own :banana: :banana: :banana: ing "MacPC Pro" :p:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/2437/picture1nn3.png

FabricioGS
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM

So I can keep overclocking? :rolleyes:

sky
10-13-2007, 12:04 AM
yea, via bios

THEHAWKs
10-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Just tried the drivers for my 8800 GTS 320 on my Asus P5W DH with Leopard 9A559.i wish this would work on my Mac pro come on apple upgrade the Mac Pro to 8x00 video cards :)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/silent2message/Snapshot2007-10-1411-53-20.jpg

Jack
10-28-2007, 08:47 AM
So you got it working, THEHAWKs?
Very nice :up:

How well does it work?

sky
10-31-2007, 06:24 AM
i guess you did a leo ontop of tiger install right? because no way you would get the onboard nics and stuff like that working out of the box with a clean leo install on a blank drive, eh? ;)

btw jack, your sys is like mine, except for the ram and that x300 - what's up with that???? in such a machine, c'mon hehe

Jack
10-31-2007, 06:58 AM
btw jack, your sys is like mine, except for the ram and that x300 - what's up with that???? in such a machine, c'mon hehe
The ram has D9 chips ;)
And for the vga, I don't play games.

MuffinFlavored
10-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Just tried the drivers for my 8800 GTS 320 on my Asus P5W DH with Leopard 9A559.i wish this would work on my Mac pro come on apple upgrade the Mac Pro to 8x00 video cards :)

[IMGhttp://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/silent2message/Snapshot2007-10-1411-53-20.jpg[/IMG]

WAIT?!
8800 drivers for Mac OS X?

What drivers?
Where?! :)

FabricioGS
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
WAIT?!
8800 drivers for Mac OS X?

What drivers?
Where?! :)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=65849

enjoy (=

MuffinFlavored
11-01-2007, 01:14 PM

enjoy (=

Thank you so much!
Big ups!

sky
11-02-2007, 01:57 PM
does anyone else feel that leo seems to be faster? i think it's what they kept telling us on windows and dualcore.. 'stuff runs smoother, blabla'. leo on a dualcore actually feels like that. faster than tiger on the same box...
but it takes getting used to see itunes, ah, sorry, the new finder in the background. i keep thinking i've itunes open or something.

Vapor
11-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, things definitely do seem snappier. Especially when the system is really bogged with apps (i.e., when a lot of stuff is open, but nothing CPU intensive). Guess memory management is a little better.

EDIT: lol...didn't realize this is the OSX on PC thread...fwiw, this is on my MBP. :p:

Movieman
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."
So go to the kitchen, take a piece of paper, draw an apple on it, scotch tape to PC..
You now have a "Apple labeled computer"..End of issue..:D

THEHAWKs
11-05-2007, 12:00 AM
got leopard 581 GM working on both my Asus P5W DH and Asus P5E3 Deluxe
:rofl: :)
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/silent2message/ishot-3.jpg?t=1194242687

WrigleyVillain
11-17-2007, 11:43 PM

Don't hold your breath. The latest 2.66 Mac Pro we got Monday at work finally has a decent video card. A dual slot X1900 512. :shakes:

sauria
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I just re-installed OS X here and now with 3D enabled on my 8800 GTX

I'm just waiting my G5 case to do my own :banana: :banana: :banana: ing "MacPC Pro" :p:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/2437/picture1nn3.png

A great XBench score

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Any of you 320mb 8800GTS users experiencing any issues? The 7000-series is looking the most stable but for a bit more the 8800 series offers a lot more power :D

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM

For me it is to save money. I just spent $1300 on parts and got better equipment than the Mac Pro I configured on Apple's website for $5115...that's over $3800 in savings. I made sure to choose compatible parts, plus the PC EFI system allows you to let you run a vanilla kernel so that you can download updates and whatnot. I also bought Leopard just so I wouldn't be a complete hack :D

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Here's a nice detailed thread by a guy who installed the jas version on a badaxe2 -

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=46317&st=0

Looks pretty good to me. Plus it's still active thread.

I've talked with a number of Hackintosh builders/owners and the consensus seems to be that the Bad Axe 2/7000-series Nvidia card is the most compatible system, followed by Gigabyte/Asus boards and 8800-series cards. Some ATI cards work and laptops have marginal support, but it seems like if you really want a fully-compatible Hackintosh you'll have to spend a bit of green on the Intel BA2 board.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
So get a nice Apple sticker, and slap it on your PC. Whalla - your PC is now "Apple-labled".

Regardless, who cares, illegal or not - if you want to do it, go for it ... if not, don't complain about people who do.

:D I don't think Apple is going to care too much as long as you buy the official Leopard discs and don't start selling clones. That way at least they're making money off the OS discs; they're not really losing money on hardware since Hackintosh users would probably never buy a Mac anyway lol.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:42 AM

As hard as it is for me to say, I have to disagree. The primary reason OS X is so stable is because they control all Mac hardware. They write the drivers for the hardware they make, integrate, and sell in their computers. Windows will probably never get the kind of stability that Mac users enjoy because of this. With that said, I would like to see OS X released for normal PC computers. Even if they charged double ($200ish) for the OS, I'm sure people would buy it.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

The quad should work fine, but I don't know about the 4 drives (at least in RAID). As far as I know, no one has gotten a RAID set on a Hackintosh to act as a boot drive. Whether that's a technological limitation or not, I don't know. It may be possible to setup the Kalyway formatting disc to create a software RAID set before you install a BrazilMac-patched Leopard disc; it may also be possible to use a PC RAID card in this type of setup. I believe a company just released a bootable RAID card for the Mac Pro, but even if it's it compatible with OS X/Hackintosh I don't know if it would work on actual PC hardware. I have an older IDE RAID card that I'll try out when I get my Hackintosh parts in next week. If it's transparent to the hardware, then I don't see why OS X wouldn't support it.

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 12:00 PM

That's disgusting :D (in an awesome way!)

kaidomac
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
got leopard 581 GM working on both my Asus P5W DH and Asus P5E3 Deluxe
:rofl: :)
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/silent2message/ishot-3.jpg?t=1194242687

How'd you get the 802.11n Ralink card in your sig working? Default or drivers?

AMD666
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Yup. Apple does not support it's OS being installed on a PC, period.

tux08902
12-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't understand. It would bring in more money if they make OS X available to everyone.

lowfat
12-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I've talked with a number of Hackintosh builders/owners and the consensus seems to be that the Bad Axe 2/7000-series Nvidia card is the most compatible system, followed by Gigabyte/Asus boards and 8800-series cards. Some ATI cards work and laptops have marginal support, but it seems like if you really want a fully-compatible Hackintosh you'll have to spend a bit of green on the Intel BA2 board.

since when would 8800s work? When i was planning on doing OSX86 back in may with a GA-P35-DQ6 and an 8800, there was no support for 8800s.

lowfat
12-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't understand. It would bring in more money if they make OS X available to everyone.

more money in OS sales, but would hurt their hardware says significantly. Which is where all their money is made.

MuffinFlavored
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
since when would 8800s work? When i was planning on doing OSX86 back in may with a GA-P35-DQ6 and an 8800, there was no support for 8800s.

Amen.
Same motherboard, same graphics card.
I see NVInject with 8800 support now. So.

ripken204
12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

yep there are 8800 drivers now.

works perfectly with my 8800gts :)

lowfat
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM

:) Hmmm, I sold my PC and bought a mac just because I couldn't get OSX to work properly on it. Maybe it is time to rethink my situation.

Concorde Rules
12-10-2007, 06:23 AM

No, it wouldn't.

If I could have done that I wouldn't have bought a £1500 Mac Book Pro with £300 of accessories for it.

I could have built a SLI'ed Quad Core WaterCooled PC for that with money to spare.

I love my MacBook Pro. Leopard is stable. It all works.

OS X on Macs forever :D :D

Oh and FYI. I have the PC in my sig as well :up:

joe.denice
12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
hey guys, I was wondering what board and video card should I go with for my setup I want do use. I am going to build a test box with a dual boot osx and windows server 2003 testing purposes.

tdream
12-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Can you imagine the amount of support and scaleability that would require? Supporting OSX's on pcs would take over the whole company, they'd have no time to do anything else.

ineedaname
12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Can you imagine the amount of support and scaleability that would require? Supporting OSX's on pcs would take over the whole company, they'd have no time to do anything else.

Not really cuz they could just leave it up 2 the other companies 4 drivers.

joe.denice
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
well i went ahead and tried this out on my test box and now everytime it boots OSX asks me to restart my machine and thats the farthest i can go

kaidomac
12-21-2007, 08:59 AM

Yup I have a 320mb XFX 8800 GTS and it works splendidly. 10.5.2 has support for G92 cards, so we should be able to use 8800 GT video cards pretty soon too:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77020

ocZZZ
12-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I have osx installed on my p5k premium/q6600 watercooled system and it is simply amazing. I will never go back to windows.

12-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Has anyone got the onboard LAN (marvel) on ASUS motherboards to work under OS X?

FabricioGS
12-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Has anyone got the onboard LAN (marvel) on ASUS motherboards to work under OS X?

Take a look at this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074

;)

12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Take a look at this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074

;)

I'll give that a try when I finish getting leopard

gndolfo
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Hello, it's my first time in this forum. I have a PC with this configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (http://www.giga-byte.es/products/mb/specs/ga-p35t-dq6_10.html)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 2x1 Gb Kingston 800mhz
Graphic Card: Nvidia 8600GTS
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! (5.1) (note: the motherboard has one, but i've dissabled because can't rule on linux)
Hard Disk: 2x400 GB Sata2 SEAGATE

Can i configure this PC to boot like "hackintosh". I've think install dual boot in hard drive 1 (linux and windows with grub) and hackintosh in other one, and i select with what hard drive boot in bios configuration (or is possible trial boot).

I've a Macbook also, but I'm new in "hackintosh experience" xDD.

Sorry for my english, and thanks for your help.

MooCow2
12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Not really cuz they could just leave it up 2 the other companies 4 drivers.

but if they do that, they run the risk of losing stuff that "just works."

they need to have everything in house order to ensure quality.

foodfightr
12-31-2007, 05:49 AM
I have osx installed on my p5k premium/q6600 watercooled system and it is simply amazing. I will never go back to windows.

Amen

sauria
12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Sounds very Fast foodfightr

foodfightr
12-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Sounds very Fast foodfightr

Its wicked! :shocked:

Think about it like this... its the stability of BSD Unix with Apple's amazing ability to make things user friendly. Its a *nix distro with the sweetest GUI!

You can now control your own hardware and don't have to pay for Apple's shiny plastic. If you want to upgrade just do it, instead of having to purchase a whole new iMac.

Office and Creative Suite run natively.

With XP and VISTA having so many pros/cons I figured its time to abandon ship... I've been on the M$ bandwagon since Windows 3.1 and couldn't be happier with my decision.

sauria
12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Can you run software update okay?

FabricioGS
12-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Can you run software update okay?

Nowadays you can. Seach around for "Kalyway" or "iAtkos" and be happy :up:

foodfightr
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Nowadays you can. Seach around for "Kalyway" or "iAtkos" and be happy :up:

Depends how close your system is to a real mac. For instance, if you have to modify the kernel it becomes easier for things to break when you update. If you're using a system that is compatible with the vanilla (stock) kernel you don't have to worry as much.

Check out insanelymac.com for more information.

(I'm using vanilla kernel installation using Kalyway's DVD and have updated 4 things automatically w/o a problem.)

lowfat
12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't suppose you can use a Auzentech Prelude with OS X :p: ?

hstuehmeyer2000
01-01-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't suppose you can use a Auzentech Prelude with OS X :p: ?

my xfi use to not work with osx but maybe someone made a driver for it

sauria
01-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Depends how close your system is to a real mac. For instance, if you have to modify the kernel it becomes easier for things to break when you update. If you're using a system that is compatible with the vanilla (stock) kernel you don't have to worry as much.

Check out insanelymac.com for more information.

(I'm using vanilla kernel installation using Kalyway's DVD and have updated 4 things automatically w/o a problem.)

Thanks!

foodfightr
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
my xfi use to not work with osx but maybe someone made a driver for it

X-Fi will probably never work with OSx.

Unfortunate because I own one too. :rolleyes:

gndolfo
01-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Hello, it's my first time in this forum. I have a PC with this configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (http://www.giga-byte.es/products/mb/specs/ga-p35t-dq6_10.html)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 2x1 Gb Kingston 800mhz
Graphic Card: Nvidia 8600GTS
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! (5.1) (note: the motherboard has one, but i've dissabled because can't rule on linux)
Hard Disk: 2x400 GB Sata2 SEAGATE

Can i configure this PC to boot like "hackintosh". I've think install dual boot in hard drive 1 (linux and windows with grub) and hackintosh in other one, and i select with what hard drive boot in bios configuration (or is possible trial boot).

I've a Macbook also, but I'm new in "hackintosh experience" xDD.

Sorry for my english, and thanks for your help.

Can somebody help me? I'm lost, xDD. Thanks

[XC] mysticmerlin
01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
:welcome: gndolfo to XS

Check out insanelymac.com It will yield more information that you seek.

MuffinFlavored
01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78016

I wrote a guide.
The purpose was to give thorough instructions to anyone owning P35-DQ6, but I know it works with P35-DS3, P35-DS4, and other ones in that nature.

Anyone curious, read it over, get a feel for how easy it is to get Mac running on a PC.

gndolfo
01-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks!! I go to read this posts. Hummm... i can feel MacOS X on my PC yet... xDD.

Xtasy
01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
What Configuration do i need fpr running os x ?

Intel P4 2,66 GHZ, 786 MB Memory and some strange Soltek Board. It is only my PC for surfing. Mac Os X is amazing so i want i too :) will it run on that system?

MuffinFlavored
01-11-2008, 01:35 AM
What Configuration do i need fpr running os x ?

Intel P4 2,66 GHZ, 786 MB Memory and some strange Soltek Board. It is only my PC for surfing. Mac Os X is amazing so i want i too :) will it run on that system?

Most likely.

For anyone curious, look at the Hardware Compatibly List at http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

smee
01-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Does any one know if the 8800gt will work with osx?
Also, foodfightr, you mentioned that you installed via kalyway. Is it a disc? Or do you download it?

MuffinFlavored
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Does any one know if the 8800gt will work with osx?
Also, foodfightr, you mentioned that you installed via kalyway. Is it a disc? Or do you download it?

I installed via Kalyway. It is an ISO that you burn to a disc obtainable via the internet.

The 8800GT (G92) works with Leopard/Tiger with NVInject.

smee
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I installed via Kalyway. It is an ISO that you burn to a disc obtainable via the internet.

The 8800GT (G92) works with Leopard/Tiger with NVInject.

Cool, thanks muffin!

Also, does anybody know if the Asus P5K-E will work with leopard?

@rne
01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Next question: Is hd 2900 pro / xt supported?

smee
01-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Next question: Is hd 2900 pro / xt supported?

Yes it is.
Look here (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.1).
Look down at the ATI section.

MuffinFlavored
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Cool, thanks muffin!

Also, does anybody know if the Asus P5K-E will work with leopard?

It isn't the motherboard, but the components on it, such as LAN controller, sound (if onboard is used), and maybe some BIOs options.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=62111&hl=p5k
Here is a thread for an ASUS P5K-VM.

In the Hardware Compatiably list, there is an entry for a P5K:

P5K Intel P35 Chipset

* BIOS version 0803
* Install method: ToH RC2 with 10.5.1 update
* Set SATA mode in BIOS to "Enchanted" to install Leopard and for IDE on Tiger
* Only first 2 Red SATA ports work
* Onboard sound works after patch
* FireWire and USB working out of the box
* Onboard LAN not working (use PCI card)
Everything works except LAN Unknown

Xtasy
02-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Does someone has a good link for the newest Kalyway OS?

TRF-Inferno
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM

Can't link to torrents here.

I need to pick up an SATA DVD drive, Kalyway disc doesn't recognize the JMicron controller.

MuffinFlavored
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=kalyway

Darkstar782
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
How is it illegal?

The EULA is just a contract between you and Apple.

Breaking a contract is not a crime, it is not even a breach of civil law.

As such, it is not illegal, no matter what Apple would like to think.

That is, assuming you own a licensed copy and have not pirated it, and are talking about UK law :P