PDA

View Full Version : eOn on hidden mode

em99010pepe
02-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi,

I was having a lot of problems to run eOn on dual core machines in hidden mode so I decided to try HideItX. It has advantage to use less memory, only client.exe appears to be running and not the eonguiclient.exe and client.exe at the same time, and also the client just stops writing to its output file, display.txt.

In the attachment you have the software. Simple unpack to any folder. Now create a shortcut to HideItX.exe and put it on your windows startup folder. Then edit the target line of the shortcut to be something like:

C:\HideItX\HideItX.exe -starthide c:\eon\client.exe

(path to HideItX.exe) -starthide (path to eOn client.exe)

To run eOn just run HideItX.exe shortcut.
To each eon instance create a new shortcut to HideItX.exe.

Cheers,

Carlos

Paladin
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I never use the clunky eOn GUI. It doesn't like multiple instances on same machine, seems unstable, and eats resources.

Instead (on Windoze) I just Explore to each of my EON folders (stuff\EON1, stuff\EON2, etc) and double-click on client.exe then minimize. For even less overhead, can just redirect to nul ("C:\stuff\EON1\client >nul: &"). I like to check on the clients once in a while so I don't go that far.

The Linux client is a little better since it is re-entrant and you can execute it multiple times from the same directory. Again I open a shell for each instance so I can check progress, but you can do the same thing to make it all background ("~/stuff/eon_client/client >/dev/null &") if you want.