PDA

View Full Version : VidCard for Heavy VidEditing

NotSoSimple
05-20-2003, 03:17 PM
I need a vid card for doing some high end video editing. I want to go as cheap as possible but the best bang for my buck. Somewhere around $100-$125. Its for my business so I need the best I can get for that price range.

felix88
05-21-2003, 06:13 AM
i thought video editing relies more CPU power than video card power.

anyway, for the best image quality, you can't do better than Matrox. ATi has good image quality also, and probably a better price/performance ratio.

antipop
05-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Look at the ATI All in wonder card, or buy an add on card but that could be really expensive. Anyway you'll need a good cpu

CCW
05-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by felix88
i thought video editing relies more CPU power than video card power.

i agree, but Matrox has too hardware video editing card that have theor own memory, they are expensive but look at matrox sites for details, its quite powerful, has its own heatsin kand fan on a lil processor

Craig

RichBa5tard
05-21-2003, 10:04 AM
NotSoSimple, i'm facing the same problem.

As 3D accelerators are not used for photoshopping and stuff, i'd suggest you search for a vidcard with a good RAMDAC (preferrably dual 400mhz for dual screen support), lot's of fast memory (128mb ddr should be ok) and a brand that chooses 2D quality over speed (ATI, Matrox).

If i were you i'd buy a ATI R9100/9200 128mb. Based on R8500, excellent dual ramdac & tv-out and 128mb ddr. You should be able to get it for 80$ or so.

CCW
05-21-2003, 09:46 PM
http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx10xtra/home.cfm

Matrox X10 Hardware Video Editor (cant find price)

thats the link anyways but other than that only way to edit faster is more memory, faster CPU.

Craig

antipop
05-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by CCW
http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx10xtra/home.cfm

Matrox X10 Hardware Video Editor (cant find price)
I'm sure it's expensive, i've search a bit and you should look at some of pinnacle product, they've got some quality acquisition cards at all price range.
For a good video editing, you'll need a firewire port on your comp and a fast (and big) hdd. And of course a good cpu and a lot of ram

CCW
05-22-2003, 04:42 AM
oh yeah, antipop has reminded me about the hard driove bit, best to have two fast hdds, one with the editing program on and another with the files so you have files and the editing program on different disk, that speeds things up a bit :toast:

yeah antipop, the pro version of that card the X100 is £800 :eek: but i know the X10 which i linked to above is a lot cheaper but not sure on a price

Craig

antipop
05-22-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by CCW

yeah antipop, the pro version of that card the X100 is £800 :eek: but i know the X10 which i linked to above is a lot cheaper but not sure on a price

Craig Anyway i'm sure it's above his price range! He should look at the ATI all in wonder or to the pinnacle products. He won't find a lot of product in that price range, video editing is rather expensive in hardware

CCW
05-22-2003, 09:37 AM
yeah but as the card isnt really needed id throw in more memory and a faster chip myself, or the second hard drive, that would help

antipop
05-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CCW
yeah but as the card isnt really needed id throw in more memory and a faster chip myself, or the second hard drive, that would help You don't know anything about his spec maybe he has a comp powerful enough! He asked for a vid card so i answer him
NotSoSimple you could help us by posting a bit and telling us what you're looking for precisely, and what you have so far

NotSoSimple
05-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Ahh so many answers, so many questions, so many suggestions! Well I mainly edit Wedding Films for people, and I also do some Graphics Design. So I want a card that will withstand all of that and not break a sweat, but money is sort of an issue. My budget sadly is $125. Business has been slow, but will perk up here soon. This is what im running:

ASUS A7V333-X Mobo (http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V333-X&langs=09)
AMD Athlon XP 1700
512 DDR
120GB HD
40GB HD
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
USB 2.0
Firewire Card (4 Ports)

CCW
05-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Nice spec, id suggest as you already have two hdds keeping the video on one and program on the other but as Felix saysit relies more on processor and memory.

If you really want a video card, you should be able to get a Ti4200 for the price you want.

Alternatively, you could throw in a gig of memory and have 1.5 gigs of memory or summin

Felix knows the prices better there.

antipop
05-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Your system looks ok even if it's not the best out there. I suggest you to look at the ATI All in wonder 7500, it's cheap and it's a good card with ati 2d iq. Forget nvidia, they're card don't have the best 2d quality! If you still have some money left, you should try to buy a better cpu (or if you know how to, oc your 1700 it should rock if it's a tbred B). Get a look at pinnacle product also, i don't know really much about their card but i've heard in the past that people were using them for video editing

wicktron
06-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Matrox = DV

antipop
06-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by wicktron
Matrox = DV I don't understand your post :confused: :confused:

CCW
06-03-2003, 07:25 AM
it only does DV ediitng? i dont know what he means either

Craig

antipop
06-03-2003, 08:00 AM
That's not really clear

Paladin
06-12-2003, 03:06 AM
I've made editing and animation systems for years. Even if you don't have a 2nd monitor, I'd get a card with dual output (usually 1 VGA and 1 DVI w/an adaptor for VGA hook-up. The extra desktop space is terrific -- like the diff between dial-up and broadband.

You didn't say what editing system you are using/plan to use, so I don't know if you require a card with analog capture. If you already have something like a Pinnacle DV500, you don't have to worry about it. Also a little secret, you can buy a DV200 (which is a firewire card + Premiere) cheaper than buying Premiere by itself.

PM me with any other questions...I don't read this forum very often.