PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Ultimate 64 freezing?

SVakaTOR
02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone!

I’m one of those who didn’t sleep and dreamed to get Windows Vista Ultimate. And here we go. I bought it two days ago right after it official announce. Came home like crazy and started to install this little beauty called Vista Ultimate 64. Before that I’ve tried RC2 and RC1 on my PC and it worked fine without lags and other issues.
HOWEVER FUN PART STARTED RIGHT AFTER windows loaded welcome message with asking me to enter CD key. IT TOOK ME 5min to wait until next step came up and next one after that one. From then I started to feel nervous.
After installing windows I rebooted my PC and ejected booting CD. HERE CAME the MESSEGE saying: “BOOT DRIVE ERROR INSERT….” I was like #######....I have 2 discs in raid0 Hitachi 250GB and 1disc Samsung 500GB + I have 1SATA optical drive. So I thought well, maybe it is important which drive is master and which one is slave. After reading everything on my way (internet, motherboard support ect) I found out that with sata discs it is different (Doesn’t matter which one is which). So then I was like: ok let’s disconnect Samsung 500 for a while. So this actually worked I installed Windows on my two discs in RAID0 and then I connected it again so it is cool now.

However Windows always using my hard drive no matter what even if every single application is closed. It makes computer work so slow that sometimes u can’t normally listen to music or movie without having freezes. I mean I checked memory availability and CPU usage everything is fine. WHAT IS WRONG?? And WHY is it only* with ME??? People who have same problems or anything to add plz write bellow!

Yea and one more thing when I was trying to listening to music and open MS office doc I got blue screen saying: "hardware errow plz restart ur pc...." I got shocked.....

Thanks!

My rig:
AMD 3700+@2.6 (939)
Asus A8N-sli premium
GF 6800
1.5GB DDR 440
2*250GB Hitachi sata2
1*500GB Samsung sata2
Samsung Intern SATA DVD±RW 18x
Creative Xfi extreme music

flashnc
02-01-2007, 03:57 PM
you may have to wait awhile on this one to get an answer, it is so new that poeple will have to see what is happining first, and what is solving the problem if any....

cantankerous
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I am noticing this too as well as a whole slew of other issues. I have been having a very hard time with Vista for the past two days. Constat BSOD, can't install anything and formatted and reinstalled 3 times. I don't even want to get into it cause it's really bumming me out.

John_T
02-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Hmm, I've got Vista Ultimate 64-bit running fast and stable for a few days now. Lotsa toys and tools. The problem I'm having is adding 2GB more ram. When I run with 4GB, it boots fine and runs for twenty minutes or so, then BSOD's, go back to 2GB, steady 'n stable.

Dammit, I want 4GB...

shawn1998
02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Not being able to run 4gig stable would most likely be a motherboard issue and not an OS issue. I have 4gig running on Vista and it's smooth as butter.

John_T
02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Agreed, I'm just trying to track down the issue. It's usually something simple you missed while breaking your head over more complicated possibilities. :D

It's encouraging that you are cruising, thanks!

shawn1998
02-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I spoke too soon. Let me explain...

I can "cruise" right along when running Vista Ultimate 32bit and 4gig ram. It is flawless, 100% stable. I got froggy last night and formatted and attempted to install Ultimate 64bit. BAM! BSOD as soon as it would finish loading the initial files. The only way for me to install it was to remove 2gig of ram. Then, flawless. I finished the install, the put the other 2gig back in and BAM! BSOD again. Awful, just awful. I'm not sure if it is a motherboard issue or a Vista 64bit issue.

I reformatted and put 32bit back on and once again everything is stable. So much for the 64bit being better with more ram!!!! I tried every bios setting possible, ram speeds, freq's, timings, voltages, etc... Always a BSOD at the same spot. The bsod error to me to check for a bios update, so I'm thinking the bios might be the problem. Also, one of the fixes listed in Abit's latest beta (beta 3, unreleased due to instability, but still, it's listed as a fix!) was for an EMT64 string, which deals with the way a 64bit OS addresses more ram, so I'm betting that's the issue. When the bios is released that address's that issue, I'll reinstall 64bit Ultimate again and recheck it.

In summary, It seems to be an issue with 4gig ram, the IN9 bios and 64bit Vista. At least for me, anyway.

Shawn

shawn1998
02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Saw this posted over on HardOCP forums about the 4gig and Vista 64bit issue.

Original post:

Hello everyone, I was in the process of installing Vista and either the computer had a BSOD error or restarted during setup then the BSOD came up. Im not sure which because I had left the room.
The BSOD eroor says
0x00000007e(0xc0000005,0x811f6 69e,0x8ce06a00,0x8ce067cc)

The error pops up before windows loads right after I have the option in the begining of chosing either Previous Windows or Windows Setup. If I chose Windows Setup it goes to BSOD if I chose Previous Windows it load my Windows XP with no problem.
My question is how do I correct the BSOD or delete Vista all together from XP?

This was one of the responses:

It doesn't affect everyone, think it said something about also using the store port driver and 32 bit DMA access.

This drove me crazy, the 32 bit version only saw 2.75gb of ram and always installed fine, while the 64 bit always crashed while installing. I went to 2gb, installed x64 Vista, and then it began crashing every time I put a cd in. Ran windows update, saw a recommended update about improving stability, and its been fine since.

Now, I have to find out exactly what "patch" this is. If anyone tried this, let me know and I will reinstall 64bit Ultimate when I get back home on Tuesday.

Shawn

nn_step
02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
if you mean crashes and freezing, then it means your overclock isn't stable.
but if you mean it is unresponsive that is because you don't have enough ram

shawn1998
02-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Dug around the net and found it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Windows Vista, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
STOP 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true: • The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.
• The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.
• The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, install update 929777. To install this update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
Back to the top

Update information
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)

Download the KB929777 package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=240AC3F3-2B60-4B70-B709-06B2BC5B1336)

Update for Windows Vista, 64-bit versions (KB929777)

Download the KB929777 package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=91672C7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18)

Release Date: January 30, 2007

For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/) How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Back to the top

Prerequisites
To apply this update, you must have Windows Vista installed on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

Shawn

graham_h
02-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Please keep us up to date.
Does the "patch" work ?

shawn1998
02-05-2007, 04:38 AM
I am on travel for work right now until later this week, found that last night while surfing in my hotel room (no wife/kids nagging, stayed up late!) on my laptop. Hopefully I can try it out myself later in the week.

Shawn

shawn1998
02-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I can confirm that this update fixes the more than 2gig ram issue with 64bit Vista. i installed it onto a spare 160gig hard drive a few hours ago, with only 2gig installed. Applied the update, shutdown and put the other 2gig back in. Problem 100% corrected. I loaded programs, benchmarked with 3dMark2005/2006, loaded BF2142 and gamed for an hour. Not one single issue.

Awesome!

Shawn

cybertec69
02-10-2007, 01:59 PM
that's why I am waiting for SP1 and R600, before jumping into the Vista frey.

shawn1998
02-11-2007, 05:53 AM
that's why I am waiting for SP1 and R600, before jumping into the Vista frey.

Why? I posted that MS's posted update fixes the issue. With that patch installed, i haven't had one single issue with Vista 64-bit. It's been unbelievably stable (and very fast!!!).

Shawn

BrownGhost
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
see my hardware.
Vista 64Bit.
took 4½ hours to install it.
7 minutes to reboot.

install programes takes for ever.
like Ati drivers newst, takes 26 minutes or longer to install.
and on and on and on....

VISTA SUCKS BIG TIME.
and no one have found out why its so so so slow.

i did clean install
ive updated drivers AHCI8, Giga Raid, Sound, Chipset, Video..

but its just so so slow, no matter what i do :(

Chipmonk
05-26-2008, 10:41 AM
No problems with 64 bit and 4gig here......

But as soon as i try to O/C it.. BAM BSOD tried all different voltages and timings nothing helps 266 bus and thats it. Drop to 2gig and whoo hoo 400 bus and a nice 3.61 ghz speed. Can't work this one out any help would be appreciated.

ExodusC
05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
No problems with 64 bit and 4gig here......

But as soon as i try to O/C it.. BAM BSOD tried all different voltages and timings nothing helps 266 bus and thats it. Drop to 2gig and whoo hoo 400 bus and a nice 3.61 ghz speed. Can't work this one out any help would be appreciated.
Nice necro post... :down:

I believe that due to the fact that this thread is over a year old, it constitutes that you could make a new one...