PDA

View Full Version : Quad core + Fuzion=much better than storm?

pumbertot
02-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Quad core is upon me and wondering how much you guys reckon I could lower temps with a Dtek Fuzion over this Swiftech Storm?

Single block loop, DDC, 120.3PA, 7/16 Tygon.

Was also thinking about DDC2 but is it MUCH noisier than DDC and will it lower temps significantly in this loop?

dont want to spend overboard because as soon as I can source S775 mach kit(in australia) will probably be using this loop+MCW60 for 8800gtx.

atm according to core temp Im loading @ 3.6GHz 1.42V 74C,72C,70C,72C on 4 respective cores.(4 instances of prime). ambient about 30C.(hot unit!).

Marci
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
You sure about the Mach Kit?? MachII is setup to cool 180w of heatload iirc... a quadcore at 3.6 with 1.42v pushes out 227w of heatload - you'd kill the phasechange unit... unless it's a custom one with captube mod to allow higher heat capacity.

epion2985
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
You sure about the Mach Kit?? MachII is setup to cool 180w of heatload iirc... a quadcore at 3.6 with 1.42v pushes out 227w of heatload - you'd kill the phasechange unit... unless it's a custom one with captube mod to allow higher heat capacity.

I don't like the "cap tube mod" term with relation to custom units because there is no mod, the metering device is sized correctly for the load from the beginning :)

Shpoon
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Was also thinking about DDC2 but is it MUCH noisier than DDC and will it lower temps significantly in this loop?

I can barely hear the DDC, the DDC2 is not very silent, it's "quiet" though...

Still waiting for a response from mCubed if the miniNg can handle an 18W pump...doubt it though, hipro5 doesn't think so either....and the sunbeam can't in his opinion, so I may be stuck buying a $30 50W rheostat.

generics_user
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Still waiting for a response from mCubed if the miniNg can handle an 18W pump...doubt it though, hipro5 doesn't think so either....and the sunbeam can't in his opinion, so I may be stuck buying a $30 50W rheostat.
according to my local reseller bigNG can handle 20w in analog or 80w (total) in PWM. (20/40/channel)

d'oh, just overread the mini and thought of BIG XD

EDIT:
it can handle it:

- 50W Leistung pro Kanal im PWM-Modus, kombiniert 100W
- 20W Leistung pro Kanal im analogen Modus, kombiniert 25W

mion
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Sunbeam will handle 18w, just it will only give like 10.8v at most

Yeah ddc is quiter than ddc2, especially with moded top

creidiki
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Most of the noise created by DDCs is vibration... you can make them far quieter with proper mounting - ie, sitting them on top of a thick block of sound-damping material.

IanY
02-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Quad core is upon me and wondering how much you guys reckon I could lower temps with a Dtek Fuzion over this Swiftech Storm?

Single block loop, DDC, 120.3PA, 7/16 Tygon.

dont want to spend overboard because as soon as I can source S775 mach kit(in australia) will probably be using this loop+MCW60 for 8800gtx.

atm according to core temp Im loading @ 3.6GHz 1.42V 74C,72C,70C,72C on 4 respective cores.(4 instances of prime). ambient about 30C.(hot unit!).

The delta between a G4 Storm Rev 2 and a FuZion/Apogee GT is about 2 degrees C, 3 degrees max. Its quite significant, but wouldn't do much for your low 70s load temps.

My load temps with prime are in the low 60s (low to mid 70s with Intel TAT) and my case temps are in the low 40s (yes.. 40+ C case temp vs. 22C ambient room temp). I think you may want to look at your mounting pressure first before purchasing a new cpu block.

Also, don't worry about noise from DDC2s or DDCs. I use many of them together and they are still quiet when properly isolated.

pumbertot
02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
The delta between a G4 Storm Rev 2 and a FuZion/Apogee GT is about 2 degrees C, 3 degrees max. Its quite significant, but wouldn't do much for your low 70s load temps.

My load temps with prime are in the low 60s (low to mid 70s with Intel TAT) and my case temps are in the low 40s (yes.. 40+ C case temp vs. 22C ambient room temp). I think you may want to look at your mounting pressure first before purchasing a new cpu block.

Also, don't worry about noise from DDC2s or DDCs. I use many of them together and they are still quiet when properly isolated.

thanks for answering the question;) . yeah im going to get a bracket so can hard mount the storm without warping motherboard. will prob pass on Fuzion if its onlt such a small difference as wont be for long time use.

@Marci as for the mach I said mach kit didnt mean I have just a mach but thanks for your concern :p:
its a MachIIGT R507a Berkut Special Edition(extra condensor etc) which can handle 240W+ load at -20C or better evap temps. also has PEV control for fine tuning of loads.

Sideroxylon
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
according to my local reseller bigNG can handle 20w in analog or 80w (total) in PWM. (20/40/channel)

d'oh, just overread the mini and thought of BIG XD

EDIT:
it can handle it:

- 50W Leistung pro Kanal im PWM-Modus, kombiniert 100W
- 20W Leistung pro Kanal im analogen Modus, kombiniert 25W

Just another vote for the bigNG. I have one and LOVE it. Best fan/pump controller on the market. It won't have any problems handling your pump.

serialk11r
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Just a tip about the silence issue. Many people say "Yate Loons are dead silent at 12V" "DDCs are quiet" "I can barely hear my D5". But theres always those few people (I am one of them) that say ":eek: thats so loud!!!". I think that asking people "is this quiet" is the stupidest question ever, because some people think some things are quiet, others think its loud. Its all relative. And if you are a silence freak but you listen to someone who tells you "I use multiple pumps and I can't hear them" then you will regret it. I think DDC+ is still loud even without vibration (I haven't ran it in a loop yet, but I did hook it up to my res to test. There were no bubbles, and it was still loud) so isolation/soundproofing would be the only solution. And about the sunbeam rheobus, can't you just use a splitter and use 2 channels for it? When running a pump?

pumbertot
02-15-2007, 03:16 AM
digging up the thread. someone made me a homebrew holdown kit for S775 so the QX6700 will be going under phase next week. MCW60+120.3PA+DDC will be just for 8800GTX.