PDA

View Full Version : Acer AL2216W 22" LCD Mini Review

KennethChong
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
First off, sorry the pics are so crapy, but all I had to take them with was my treo.

I recently picked this up for my office pc. (replacing an old 17" LCD) I was a little weary at first, as it has the same resolution as most 20" wide screens (1680x1050) But for the price (250 US!) I couldn't resist.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/663/photo0125070025qf.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/874/photo0125070042cm.jpg

I was slightly expecting a cruddy image quality, but I have to say the crispness is pretty damn near my 3007. Its bright (a bit too bright sometimes) crisp and detailed. The main drawback with these displays is the back light bleed commonly seen with TNT panels.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8687/photo0125070059oq.jpg

I really wish I could get a decent shot of it, but the picture is MUCH worse than it actually is. Its still decently noticeable in darker applications, but really very easy to cope with as a general use monitor. The black levels are pretty bad out of the box, but with a little tweaking using the nvidia drivers, it gives some very good darks.

The big kicker for me was the desktop space. Much easier to work with documents.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6163/desktop5jr.jpg

Overall, its not the best gaming monitor (But does a very good job still.) but for a general work monitor, I think its a fantastic deal for the price! Well worth it if your office needs a upgrade.

GrimReaper
01-25-2007, 11:43 PM
nice :toast: try some games and see how it does :D

[cTx]Philosophy
01-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Ghosting?

All the expensive hardware you have pc wise and no digi cam? :)

KennethChong
01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Philosophy']Ghosting?

All the expensive hardware you have pc wise and no digi cam? :)

Absolutely no ghosting problems from few games I've played on it. (HL2, quake 4)

Yea, I need to get one, but then it would take away form my gadget budget. :D

LiQU!D
02-03-2007, 01:07 AM
I've had mine for 3 months and only just realised mine has severe ghosting in CS:S. I noticed it the first time I used it and others said it was because I went from 75Hz to 60Hz, I now know this is not the case. I'm contacting Acer about it though, haven't gotten a response so far. It's sad because it's 5ms and it ghosts far worse than any of the 8ms or 16ms monitors in the house. :(

KennethChong
02-03-2007, 05:34 AM
I've had mine for 3 months and only just realised mine has severe ghosting in CS:S. I noticed it the first time I used it and others said it was because I went from 75Hz to 60Hz, I now know this is not the case. I'm contacting Acer about it though, haven't gotten a response so far. It's sad because it's 5ms and it ghosts far worse than any of the 8ms or 16ms monitors in the house. :(

Yes, because refresh rate doesn't effect a LCD. From what I've read from other reviews this sounds like a manufacturers defect for sure. I'm guessing you purchased this monitor from a local place? Make sure you post how the rma goes through acer, I'm curious to hear if they are good or not.

LiQU!D
02-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Oh if they don't swap it over I'll be taking it to the Department of Fair Trading (Australia).

So far it has been a single working day with no contact. I wouldn't be concerned but I haven't even been contacted about the eRegistration which they said would be "soon" after submitting the form. If I remember I'll report back, I'll make a note on my desktop sidebar about it.

Super strokey
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Ive had this monitor for 5 months, its not the best monitor in the world but its an absolutely amazing value for the price. I have zero ghosting in mine, im coming from a samsung 712n (which btw is a pretty damn good lcd if it had dvi as well) which was really good too. Wish the LCD was a little bit easier to move angle too. Comes with a dvi cable too which is always a nice addition. All in all i think this is one of the best monitors i have used. No HDCP though, but the new refresh of this does have it, it think its call ehte 2223wlmi.

LiQU!D
02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
The new version is still known as the AL2216W. Here's hoping that they can't repair mine and I get a new HDCP capable one with zero dead pixels and no ghosting. :)

I just called them up (8 minute wait time, pretty good) and they sorted it out within 20 minutes and I'm just waiting on a call from a courier so I can arrange a time for them to come and pick it up. I was quoted a time period of 5 to 10 working days. So far it looks really good but it's far from over.

Just a tip : Their online support is $#@% and you shouldn't bother using it.

KennethChong
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
The new version is still known as the AL2216W. Here's hoping that they can't repair mine and I get a new HDCP capable one with zero dead pixels and no ghosting. :)

I just called them up (8 minute wait time, pretty good) and they sorted it out within 20 minutes and I'm just waiting on a call from a courier so I can arrange a time for them to come and pick it up. I was quoted a time period of 5 to 10 working days. So far it looks really good but it's far from over.

Just a tip : Their online support is $#@% and you shouldn't bother using it.

Good, tell us how it ends up. All my previous rma's with acer have gone great.

kotoko
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Hmm..I was actually looking into this monitor for quite some time, as I am trying to build a computer. Any other monitors you would recommend? (excluding the dell 3007wfp, too much for me :P)

LiQU!D
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Um ok...

I sent it to Acer and they tested it and said there were no faults and the screen was fine. OK. Why is it still ghosting?

Dumbasses...

Anyone got any ideas on how to persuade Acer it's a problem?

Drag
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Most lcd's that have that bright shine when its out is because of the high contrast so that proberly meens its a good monitor.