PDA

View Full Version : Can i OC ?

Sir Smokealot
01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi guys & girls ( yeah right ) :rolleyes: , i just want to know if i can OC my system.

Here are a few stats........................

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Psychosomatic657/system.jpg

LagunaX
01-25-2007, 12:13 AM
if it is a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. manufacturer and noncustom build, then NO. They lock the bios to prevent overclocking.

Sir Smokealot
01-25-2007, 12:20 AM
It was a Advent computer from PC World & it had this wierd recovery partion i deleted and reinstalled xp, motherboard drivers and BIOS updates.

Is there a way i can find out if my BIOS is still locked ?

Sir Smokealot
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
any help guys ? i need a boost without £ and OC may be the way to do it .

Sir Smokealot
01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
please help me guys im lost confused :confused:

X_Man
01-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Well to to begin - You will need to get into your BIOS. You want to look at your advanced chipset settings. Study what functions you can change then come back here for advice. I would suggest you research on the subject a great deal.

da_h00k
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
It was a Advent computer from PC World & it had this wierd recovery partion i deleted and reinstalled xp, motherboard drivers and BIOS updates.

Is there a way i can find out if my BIOS is still locked ?

Eh, try to enter BIOS :slap:?

Well, I don't know that board or chipset, but you can always try.

First you have to set the ram at the lowest possible divider - so they won't stop you. Then you have to make sure the PCI is at 33.33mhz and the PCI-E at 100MHz (AGP at 66.66MHz.)
Just nodge up the FSB and see what's happening. When you can't boot into Windows, put the FSB 10Mhz down and try stress test with prime95 or another stresstestapp. If you hit a wall try higher vcore - if vcore doesn't help you've reach the max with that mobo. But remember that higher voltages = more heat - so make sure you have temps under 60/65 degrees @ load (prime95)

Gl.

PS. Remember to use a bigger divider when done (what you know the ram can handle)

xlink
01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
some motherboards don't like OCing outside of 1:1 so using a lower divider might cripple his OCs

Sir Smokealot
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Cheers for all the advice guys,

i dont think this comp is cut out for overclocking, ive added my system to my sig so u can see what stats ive got.

Im not going to overclock yet, dont have the right fans/cooling, my cpu temp is 45c allready, with full load it goes upto about 57c.
I can get into my BIOS so it isnt locked havent checked sizes yet but will do soon and post back.