PDA

View Full Version : Power Supplies...Too little or just enough?

NotSoSimple
05-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Is a 300w PSU adequete for what im running?

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz
512mb DIMM
40GB HD
GeForce2 Hercules
DVD-ROM
36x CD-RW
Side Case Fan (80mm)
Front Blue LED Bars

Soon to Add:
Rear Exhaust (80mm)
Top Blowhole (120mm)

Also I tapped into a molex connector to draw power for my blowhole and my PSU died. I tested the fan in the PSU and it works, and tested the fuse also and it works. I am using the same PSU but a working one. So 1) Should I get a bigger PWU and 2) How could I fix my old one?

wdd1040
05-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Xtreme!

Can you explain what happened when you tapped into the molex? Was the computer on?

I think 300W is more then enough for that computer. I don't know about fixing it. I'm sure that you could find a cheap 300W PSU for sale. I think there are some Cheap ones for sale in our for sale forums right now.

P.S. You might want to remove those ads from your sig before a mod sees them. You can't advertise here.

NotSoSimple
05-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Ahh thanks wdd! Well a molex connector has four wires:
Yellow-Black-Black-Red
I found out using a volt meter that the Yellow wire was the hot wire. So I took out the yellow and black wires from the molex (Using a sharp dental tool to undo the clasp). Then I soldered two wires: One on the Yellow and the other on the black. I did this becuase I am putting all of my fans on switchs that are located on a 3 1/2" Bay cover. So I plugged my machine in and tried one fan with the switch: It worked great. Did some more soldering and molex modding, and tried the second fan with the switch: It worked great. So I closed up my machine and left for a couple hours. When I came home I hooked it all back up and turned it on: For about 1/2 a second it turned on (Hence my Blue LEDs on the front lit up) and then it shut off. Tried the switch again: Nothing. Tried my PS again and nothing. So I unplugged it, plugged it in and then it did the same 1/2 second start. I clipped the wires and unplugged ALL of my fans and my lights and it still did the same thing. Luckily I had an identical un-modded PSU and so thats what im running. So no my computer WAS NOT ON. Im not that much of a newb :p

CCW
05-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the Sickness! :toast:

Id say a 300watt PSU was not adequate for that system, The chip alone draws a hefty chunk of go-juice and Id recommend at least 350watts but better 400watts.

Craig

felix88
05-18-2003, 03:59 AM
hey, another oregonian!

welcome to XS, NotSoSimple!

you might want to pick up a better PSU, i never used less than a 350w on my 1.4GHz Tbird.