PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a fully internalized PC-60/PC-7 system?

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 04:54 AM
I am looking for pics of how you did it.

I recently got myself a PC7 (PC 60 w/ 120mm fans) and I'm wondering if it would be possible to put the case on (rather high) standoffs and mount the rad beneath the case....

Otherwise, I'm not even sure if a 120.2 would fit in the top next to my standard sized PSU.

Your ideas are appreciated.

Some Pics:

http://lian-li.com/images/products/7_plus_feature.jpg

pumbertot
01-22-2007, 06:12 AM
I had a pc60 with a 120.2 rad in the top but no pics of it im afraid. 120.2 does fit(tight) but you obviously lose the optical drive bay. also if you do it that way make sure the inlet/outlet to the rad are at the side closest to middle of the case or it will be hard to fit any optical drives due to tubing.

but yes you could mount it below for sure, its been done before.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 06:36 AM
I had a pc60 with a 120.2 rad in the top but no pics of it im afraid. 120.2 does fit(tight) but you obviously lose the optical drive bay. also if you do it that way make sure the inlet/outlet to the rad are at the side closest to middle of the case or it will be hard to fit any optical drives due to tubing.

but yes you could mount it below for sure, its been done before.
I see (so it fits) thank god. I couldn't quite get exact measurements... phew, might go for the pa120.2 over the 120.3 then.

I am thinking about getting another single 120 to stick down in the front intake, though I am not entirely convinced.

pumbertot
01-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I see (so it fits) thank god. I couldn't quite get exact measurements... phew, might go for the pa120.2 over the 120.3 then.

I am thinking about getting another single 120 to stick down in the front intake, though I am not entirely convinced.

not that I dont recommend the pa120.3 on the bottom. lol.

just get a radbox and stick the 2nd one at the back. thats what im doing on my pc71(to cool the 8800gtx).

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 07:12 AM
ah, I am thinking about running a dedicated loop for my GPU, but that would mean a second pump/res (for ease of bleeding) etc and a PC-7 is just too small.

A 120.3 on the bottom would require some rather monsterish standoffs. The pa is over 2 inches wide, and add the fan and the required space for air movement and I will have to raise my case jearly half a foot....

IanY
01-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I don't have pictures but I have a PC-7 with one PA120.1 and one Swiftech MCR120 QP radiator in a single loop. Its a mid-end PC that does not run cutting edge hardware, with dual core AMD cpu and a single gpu. It has a Swiftech MCP350 Pump/Reservoir combo in a single bay and has a single HDD and single optical drive. Again, its a simple PC cooled for silence with low speed fans.

I respectfully suggest that this case is not appropriate for high end water cooling and/or high end equipment. When all is said and done, its extremely cramped.

I would suggest looking at a PC-G70B or at least a PC-75 if you are considering two loops.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 07:30 AM
That's the thing - my space is limited. I had to buy this case as it offered me the most freedom I could get with a mid-tower in my price range.

I've already got the case. Thing is, a PA120.2 will fit, and that is quite high end.. I am just wondering if a PA120.2 will be sufficient to cool down a G80/Conroe when both significantly overclocked. I don't see why it shouldn't be, ideally though I'd have the 120.3, but I am not just budget limited but space limited. Here in Hong Kong if you want a big place (due to the extremely tight space limitations this city grows up, not out) you have to be willing (or able) to pay huge rent figures - something my GF and I cannot do with our current jobs. Thus my room is small, and desk smaller.

I am considering using my current MCR220 in a dedicated loop for the CPU, and then purchasing a 120.1 for my GPU along with a DDC... what are your opinions on this?

Other alternatives include running it all through a 120.2 or running it all through a MCR220.

IanY
01-22-2007, 07:38 AM
You have a good strategy. I would prefer to use the MCR220 up top because it is slim. You may gain an extra optical bay, but I'm not sure. I would use a RadBox at the back and mount a PA120.2 back there.

Actually, I think a single PA120.2 would be good enough for your system, but I get worried when you talk about "significant overclocking" lol It wouldn't be a performance solution with a single radiator and you are right to look at two independent loops.

The next issue is where to mount your pumps, and that is a function of how much ancillary hardware you have, like opticals and HDDs. You can mount a reservoir outside the case at the back to save space, plus its also more convenent.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 07:45 AM
On my MCR220 I ran a 165 @ 2.8 1.6v (I know.. unfortunate stepping), my X19XTX at 1.575 740 on the core 24/7, and the temperatures weren't terrible, but weren't great.

With about 30 degree ambient I was looking at 40 degree idle temps and 50 load which was a little... disconcerting. The GPU wasn't so bad, loading at about 45... for some reason I was never able to get a great mount with my Apogee.

So what I'm talking about in terms of "significant overclocking" would be a 4mb L2 Conroe chip @ 3.6.3.8, and I'm quite happy running 1.6 on water, as well as a G80GTS (not vmodded) but oc'ed as far as 24/7 possible.

I have the distinct feeling a PA 120.2 would handle that just fine, but I have some doubts about the MCR220.

HOWEVER, that said, Conroes have lower heat output (65w VS 89w) and I don't believe the G80GTS is hotter than the X19 (famed for its heat output) and maybe all this worrying I'm doing really isn't worth it. If I replaced my D5 with a modded DDC, the MCR220 might not even be so bad. I don't plan to run yates at 5v or anything, I am looking at deltas or AC fans at 7v idle, 12v gaming which will be inaudible over the pc sound regardless...

It's just... I want to be safe, and I understand the radiator is an investment.

What I am battling with is this: I know that a PA120.2 will not be so much as increase in performance over my MCR220 so that overclocks may be greater. In that case, I find myself wondering "What's the point?)

Marci
01-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Relocate HDD bays onto the base, stick a PA160 in the front...

http://www.over-clock.com/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=18

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 08:07 AM
^ Yeah, I was planning on relocating the HDD to the floppy area, but do you mean a 160 in addition to a 120.2/MCR220 or a 160 on it's own? As I understand, the 160 is close behind the 120.2 in terms of performance, and if I can fit a 120.2 in the top I see no reason to go down that path unless it is an addition.

(Not to mention I don't know where I can get a 160 that ships int', and they are very expensive.)

welshtom
01-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Search for matt100 and look at his thread.

he has 2 loops internal

Nicksterr
01-22-2007, 08:39 AM
CedricFP, check out this thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130794

I just bought the PC-7B case w/a dual rad cutout. If you want any dimensions let me know...

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 08:48 AM
^ Wow, very nice. Seems as if the 120.2 only barely fits, with the cutout being right up to the most front point possible.

I may go down the 120.2 route.

Marci
01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Depends what PSU you have - 120.2 rads used to go in with ease, until manufacturers began to make longer PSUs. Now, with PA120.2, you tend to end up with one end of the rad pressed hard against the PSU (with a lot of wire bending to avoid slicing the wireloom), and the other end practically touching the CD blanking plates. MCR220 should be a l'il bit shorter (about 15mm I think) and give you a bit more space to play with.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Depends what PSU you have - 120.2 rads used to go in with ease, until manufacturers began to make longer PSUs. Now, with PA120.2, you tend to end up with one end of the rad pressed hard against the PSU (with a lot of wire bending to avoid slicing the wireloom), and the other end practically touching the CD blanking plates. MCR220 should be a l'il bit shorter (about 15mm I think) and give you a bit more space to play with.

It is a FSP FX-700-GLN - standard ATX sized PSU, which should leave me with the most minimal of space between the rad and the PSU.

However, at this point I am far more concerned with performance, and also battling with myself over the subject of "worth"...

Nicksterr
01-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I'd go with a MCR220, save some money, it fits well, performs extremely well, and works well with low cfm/quiet fans.

If you want more cooling, buy a Black Ice GT 120mm rad and mount it in the front or rear of the case, it will fit.

Lurid
01-22-2007, 09:09 AM
*Cough Swiftech MCB-120 Cough*

Nicksterr
01-22-2007, 09:13 AM
*Cough Swiftech MCB-120 Cough*

??? If you're talking about the MCR120, it has embedded 3/8" barbs, so you can't use 1/2".

Lurid
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
No...i'm talking about this. (http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcrre2raho.html)

It'd allow him / her to mount the radiator on the back of the case, via the existing 120mm fan slot, and you wouldn't have to worry about freeing up space in the top of the case.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 06:23 PM
No...i'm talking about this. (http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcrre2raho.html)

It'd allow him / her to mount the radiator on the back of the case, via the existing 120mm fan slot, and you wouldn't have to worry about freeing up space in the top of the case.
I have the radbox, but I want everything internal.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone for their help.

I think currently I am going to run everything through my current mCR220.

DDC2/w Petras / MCR220 / Apogee GT / MCW60 / EK Multi Res

If temperatures aren't satisfying, I will get a 120.1 for a dedicated loop for my GPU /w D5 and Swifty res.

cambrian
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
you have to be careful with this case and a 2X120 radiator mounted at the top. I have teh pc-60 and mounted the swiftech mcr220 at the top. This was working fine until I upgraded my power supply to the longer silverstone olympia. With this beast in, there was no room for my radiator let alone the jumble of power cable from the PSU. I remeasured it and there was no way for the MCR220 to fit even if I knew ahead of time I was going to install the longer PSU. The case itself is just not long enough. I ended up abandoning the case and bought a v1200II plus.

Just keep that in mind.

CedricFP
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
you have to be careful with this case and a 2X120 radiator mounted at the top. I have teh pc-60 and mounted the swiftech mcr220 at the top. This was working fine until I upgraded my power supply to the longer silverstone olympia. With this beast in, there was no room for my radiator let alone the jumble of power cable from the PSU. I remeasured it and there was no way for the MCR220 to fit even if I knew ahead of time I was going to install the longer PSU. The case itself is just not long enough. I ended up abandoning the case and bought a v1200II plus.

Just keep that in mind.
Yeah, but I use the FSP FX-700-GLN which is a standard ATX size PSU - it will fit then. I just hope that some of the stories I hear of the FSP Epsilon PSU's going wonky with 965 aren't true.

pumbertot
01-22-2007, 07:44 PM
yep its close. I had an an enermax 600w alongside a BIX2 at the time and was a little room in between but as said with PSU sizes growing it will be tighter. but yeah the rad was pretty much touching the front of the case.

go for it, it will work fine. ;)

Gunlance
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I fit a Black Ice GTX 240 rad and a silverstone st75f psu up top. Of course the rad had to be shifted forward a lot more than the case would allow. My dremel fixed that real quick. I just wish my temps were better. :(

UnreaL
01-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Sorry im late! I have 2 thermochill radiators in my PC-60! This includes a long Tagan PSU, hard drive and dvd-rw...

My signature is clickable to my previous worklog which has far more pictures, I re-did the loop since then, I think my fillport is a first! Also note the easy peasy PSU solution...

it looks like this now:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7751/cimg2774small6kp.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1632/cimg2772small8wm.jpg

Xion X2
01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
[Deleted]