PDA

View Full Version : Opteron 165 + DFI Lanparty Ultra-D recommendations

_33
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Hello,

I've bought a Denmark 0615 CCBBE to replace my trusty Venice 3000+. I've been wanting to do this for a while but now it's in the box and I am very happy up to now about the decent overclocks that I have and the system stability is the same as before.

Currently running at 2.8ghz 8.5x multi 330 ldt for 1.33v 100% rock stable. It's running on the stock HSF, the IHS is still on the processor and I'm still debating about if I should remove it before summer or wait. Yet there are issues that I will enumerate:
- At 2.8ghz, a game like Oblivion can make my system reboot after 5 - 8 minutes of gameplay, with threading modes activated (meaning it shares the 2 cores for different tasks such as AI, path finding & whatnot.
- At 330 ldt, I can run Sisoft Sandra memory cache test and results are in and it works fine. At 332+ ldt, it freezes after 30 seconds.
- At 333 ldt, I can run superi 1M and a bunch of simple tasks

Basically, my system with 2.8ghz is quite borderline IMHO. I would like to know if there are ways that I could adjust setting to make it run cooler, or to make it prevent sudden death and various crashes (besides lowering the clocks). I've had my Ultra-D for almost a year now, and have managed to tweak my previous processor to it's best (2.8ghz all weather stable, all games/apps) for some time. I'd like to do the same with this Denmark processor. 3ghz is probably improbable for a daily stable system. Is there anything sofwtare/bios wize I could try, or would it be more interesting to jump directly to getting that IHS off and lapping the original quad heatpipe HSF?

What is different between tweaking a Venice and a Denmark besides using less voltage on the Toledo?

Oh and also, anything varying with ram settings when using a Denmark versus a Venice? Any settings that I should look at?

_33
01-21-2007, 09:07 PM
OK I found that with my Opteron, as opposed to my older Venice, this CPU likes to have multi at 9x and I was able to tighten some latencies, which yeld a solid 500MB/s read/write in Sandra. Still nothing earth shattering, but nice.

Also I noticed that 1.33v is insufficient when 2 cores busy. So I'm now at 1.35v * 104%, and I have good ingame stability. I noticed this with 3Dmark05 and when I installed Roboblitz (when it was building texture for some time, it was rebooting as it was using 2 cores to do this task).

otogrim
01-30-2007, 10:30 PM
you can do a search of that particular stepping and find out what other people are running. It's not guaranteed yours will be able to perform up to par but it should come pretty close

v0dka
02-03-2007, 02:02 AM
It sounds like youre not running dual Prima for testing stability? You should really do that, or at least dual Spi 32m.

_33
02-03-2007, 08:39 AM
It sounds like youre not running dual Prima for testing stability? You should really do that, or at least dual Spi 32m.

Actually the ultimate best endurance test I found is running TES4 Oblivion! If it passes at least 1 hour of gameplay, it's stable in my book. Because, a CPU benchmark doesn't build as much heat inside the box as a full multicore 3D game like Oblivion + my GFX card.

Nil Einne
05-03-2007, 02:29 PM
If your CPU is fine in Prime but not in Oblivion, it sounds like the CPU is fine, you just need better exhaust for the case