PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mounting ddc2 sideways?

ziddey
01-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Anyone have any tips for mounting a ddc2 sideways? Here's my current setup:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2571/picture003tx6.jpg

I'm only using the included neoprene adhesive pad. The turn isn't that sharp either to cause bad kinking. However, the tubing does push the the ddc2 towards the back of the case (left). The picture was taken when everything was first assembled. It's been about a week and a half since then, and the ddc2 has already moved about 30% off the pad. I figure eventually, I'll want to bolt it down to the case, but figure I might as well do it rotated on it's side so the inlet is facing the res.

Thanks.

serialk11r
01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone have any tips for mounting a ddc2 sideways? Here's my current setup:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2571/picture003tx6.jpg

I'm only using the included neoprene adhesive pad. The turn isn't that sharp either to cause bad kinking. However, the tubing does push the the ddc2 towards the back of the case (left). The picture was taken when everything was first assembled. It's been about a week and a half since then, and the ddc2 has already moved about 30% off the pad. I figure eventually, I'll want to bolt it down to the case, but figure I might as well do it rotated on it's side so the inlet is facing the res.

Thanks.
Lol bolting it will make it very very noisy. off topic: does the door go on the case and close all the way with the res on the side? mine wont, in fact the res sticks 1/2" out...:(

ziddey
01-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Ya, the drive piece is indented a little. If you look to the left of the res, the lip comes out. If I put the res around there, it comes out too far. So it's a pretty good fit. Too bad swiftech didn't design the holes so that I can just screw it into the standard drive holes.

Capt Proton
01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
The Exos 2 XL has the pump mounted on its side. I have one. Doesn't seem to affect it in any way.

cursivearmy1
01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
I feel sorry for the fact you have to use a ultra wizard for WC. I picked one up from frys for $40-$40 rebate and when it got here I was like wow. This is worthless to me and that was before I wanted h20.

ziddey
01-20-2007, 07:06 PM
lol yeah I got the case because of that deal too. The paint is all sorts of scuffed up just from moving it from place to place. But I'm not really bothered by that.

Yeah the case could be better designed, for sure, but it's not all too bad. I just really don't like how it's only 3 external 5.25's, but internally, there's 4 (the bottom one has a 3.5" caddy).

It's kind of a pain though. If I want to take out the psu, I have to take out the radiator. To take out the radiator, I might have to pull the motherboard. Not shown in that pic is a little notch I made on the inner lip at the left. It allows me to take out the motherboard without having to yank off the pump.

I just figure it's all in good practice. I hope eventually fit a 2x120 into the microfly I got too

serialk11r
01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey, you're not the only one with a small case! My thermaltake aguila is actually smaller than that ultra I think! When my rad goes in, I hope nothing happens to the psu, because after the rad goes in cable management will become another issue. I can't just stuff the cables behind the motherboard or the drive bays, the motherboard is right against the side panel, there's all these holes in the drive bays, so you can actually see through them. I will have to stick the wires on top or behind the PSU, which is effective, but creates a huge mess IN FRONT of the psu, where my rad will probably be...

ziddey
01-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I guess if you wanted, you could unsleave those cables and flatten them out and run it between the motherboard and backplate. Will be a bit tricky

serialk11r
01-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I guess if you wanted, you could unsleave those cables and flatten them out and run it between the motherboard and backplate. Will be a bit tricky
Can't unsleeve, they are sleeved, ziptied, and heatshrink tubing wrapped. On top/on the side of the PSU works fine, just looks a bit odd.

SiGfever
01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Something like this?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5083/img1104largeir9.jpg

serialk11r
01-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't think he wants to spend any money on it.

ziddey
01-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Ahhh, that's the alphacool top right? I remember seeing a picture of that. Nicely done btw. I'm hoping to do something similar too.

Quazi
01-20-2007, 10:26 PM
If you don't trim the teflon tape back far enough to stay out of the reservour water area, you are liable to screw the pump up. Be careful with it m8. I'd hate to see a piece of it melt away and screw your pump up.

calvin
01-21-2007, 04:47 AM
http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/HotSwapMama/pump_640x480.jpg

Lol bolting it will make it very very noisy.

Very very untrue! At least IME. Noise signature with the hard mount turned out no different from running loose on a pad.

The Alphacool top provides several attachment points plus you have the standard ones at the base of the pump so many arrangements are possible. One thing I did do though that may have helped mitigate vibrations was to sandwich a thin foam pad between the pump and case wall. Bolted the pump down using 1/4-20 socket head caps and nylon insert nuts (wont vibrate loose). Chose a location that would reduce clutter in front of the mb...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/HotSwapMama/radmb_800x600.jpg

SiGfever
01-21-2007, 07:38 AM
If you don't trim the teflon tape back far enough to stay out of the reservour water area, you are liable to screw the pump up. Be careful with it m8. I'd hate to see a piece of it melt away and screw your pump up.
To whom are you directing this?

ziddey
01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it's directed at me. The teflon tape goes along the entire barb but isn't dangling off. I hope it's fine?

Also, I think I got an idea for how I'll change the setup next. Will be a little hard working there, but to the right of the motherboard, on the backplate. I figure I should drill it and attach it there (of course with a pad between). It'd run on it's side, have the outlet go straight up to rad, and inlet going towards other side of case and then around to res.