PDA

View Full Version : Help, Radeon 9500 Pro not working

`schr0et
05-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Sigh, I feel like kicking myself in the head for what I did. Ok last night I wanted to get the shim off my 9500 Pro to get ready for the cooling stuff I ordered. Me being the idiot that I am I used a hobby knife to try and pry it off. When I couldn't do it with normal pressure, I started digging into the corner of the chip and eventually pried it off. Now it doesn't work and I'm guessing that little gap on the bottom right corner of the chip is the reason.

All I want to know is did I bust this card for good? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Any tips on how to RMA this thing and not it so obvious I'm a moron? I know the previous question is the stupidest of them all. Sigh sorry for the idiocy, I can't stop kicking myself for what I did. :(

Thanks for your help, later.

Teus
05-17-2003, 03:37 AM
It's wasted, and with the shim damaged I'm afraid RMA won't be possible :(

saaya
05-17-2003, 04:44 AM
hmmm put the shim on it again, and mount the hsf, try to rma it then, if ur lzucky they wont take the hsf off, and replace your card.

`schr0et
05-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the response guys I greatly appreciate it, well before I even read your post I put some super glue on the shim and mounted it back on. When I did that I made sure it covered up the little gap in the gpu. The I mounted the HSF on cleaned it off and then RMA'd. Guess all I can do is pray now. Heh oh well I'll be sure to be far more careful with my next card. Atleast I can learn from my mistake. Oh another question, generally how much detail do they pay to the card when you RMA it? I got this from Googlegear, never RMA'd before not sure what to expect. Oh well thanks for the help!

later

saaya
05-17-2003, 09:05 AM
depebnds on the place you bought the card from, if you rma to big retailers or shops. aome big shops and companies dont even test the card you rmad because paying somebody to test all the rmad cards would be more expensive then simply sending you a new one :)

a friend once wanted to rma a card and sent them a smoked geforce 2 gts instead of the broken geforce 3ti card, and they didnt even notice it! :D

so he said the company that the replacement card he got was faulty too, and rmad the broken gerorce 3ti card again and kept the replacement card. so he ended up with 2 geforce 3 ti cards :banana:

`schr0et
05-17-2003, 10:05 AM
I must say, I love you! You put a smile on face today :D . I was thinking the exact same thing you said last night. I guess I can only hope what you say is what will actually happen. Wish me luck :toast: . Thanks for the response appreciate it :D

Later

saaya
05-17-2003, 10:29 AM
wish you good luck! :D woa just saw you have them raptors? how many gb? how much did you pay? rrrrrr definately the next pc part ill buy!

wolfgang
05-17-2003, 11:11 AM
the same thing happened to me took the shim off and there was artifacts all over i superglued it togather so they cant take it apart rma and got a new one i left the shim on this one fckit

`schr0et
05-17-2003, 11:37 AM
My Raptors are both 36.7 GB each, they cost 160+ each and I must say they are well worth it. I haven't had an issue with them yet, and god are they fast on RAID! If your thinking about going Serial ATA don't budge down for a 7200RPM drive, its not worth it. Go for the Raptors, but again I can't say how they perform seperately cause I only used them on RAID. But IMHO they are extremely nice, no problems installing/using yet. :)

Wolfgang: hehe I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that screwed up their vid cards by trying to remove the shim lol.

later

EDIT: Drives are 36.7GB not 35.7GB, typo hehe.