PDA

View Full Version : Complete new build, Few Questions.

Orsenfelt
01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry in advance for the quite long thread, I will try and lay it out so its easy to read =)

Hey, Well I got some cash coming in soon and I'd like to splash out on a top end PC.

Current: P4 Prescott 3Ghz | 1Gb Team | ATi Radeon 9600 Pro | Acer Al1916 + Generic crap..

I'm basically looking for everything here, Minus speakers, I'm in no way an audiophile and can't tell the difference, my current 5.1 sound amazing to me.. Those will do lol.

I've been looking around, doing my research and here's what I have came up with to meet my requirements, I am not interested in going Sli or Crossfire, It has never appealed to me. I also don't wish to do much overclocking. If in the future I see it slowing, Then I'd like the possibility to move it upto 3Ghz or whatever, right now.. No.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600
GFX: BFG 8800GTX or EVGA 8800GTX KO ACS3
M/bo: Asus P5b Deluxe
Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830
Mem: OCZ 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 PC6400 Platinum Rev.2 XTC Series
HDD: Western Digital SE16 250GB
DVD: Samsung SH-W183 DvD-WR (S-ATA)
Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
S/C: CreAtive Xi-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
Keyboard: Microsoft Ergonomic 4000
Mouse: Logitech G7 Gaming Wireless Laser
Monitor: Asus Asus MW221U 22" or Dell E207WFP 20"

Ok, To the questions.

1) Graphics, Is the KO ACS3 edition worth the extra ££'s over the stock GTX?
2) Motherboard, Its kind of the only motherboard I have heard people talk about, Is there anything stabler, better in general?
3) Case, I'd like a big case, Lots of room, good cooling.. I'd also like it to be silent tho. I had originally liked the P180b, however I have since found out its cramped and not all its cracked up to be..
4) Nothing really about the memory, DvD/RW or HDD, I have heard all good memory manufacuters are making good memory and their all the same price..I went with the one that looks the best lol.
5) Cooler, Its between this and the Scythe Ninja +. Personally I prefer this, I have heard the ninja is better at lower fan speeds and there similar top speed.. I won't be playing with speeds so I went with the cheaper one. Any others I should be considering?
6) Soundcard, Like I said, I am not an audiophile.. This was chosen purely on being told it will help speed up games, Is it lies?
7) PSU I have had alot of debate over. I want something with enough juice to power it all safely and cleanly.. However I won't be adding much to it, So I don't need to go overboard.. What are my good choices here?
8) Keyboard and Mouse, My last keyboard was an ergonomic (T'was a knock-off tho..) and I really liked it, no wrist strain or anything. As for the mouse.. Wired v Wireless, I have no experience with top range Mice.. Is the G7 that good? I don't mind changing batteries, but I will mind if its signal drops or if it skips or something..Would I be better going with a Razer or a Mx518? Please discuss.
9) Monitor.. Big point here. Basically I don't know what to do.. currently I have a 19" Acer, I like it.. but I'd really like widescreen.. That brings me to size.. 20", 20.1" or 22" .. Is the extra 2inches worth the +£150 or so between those monitors? I'd like as much input as possible here =)

P.S I live in the UK, and will be getting everything from Overclockers.co.uk
Thus, Its hard to source some manufacturers (Westinghouse,Sceptre are what I know)

TheJollyFellow
01-14-2007, 07:52 PM
The stock GTX is fine, the KO means higher stock clock speeds, and you can overclock it fairly easy beyond KO speeds yourself.

The X-Fi will help with games, but the improvement won't be noticeable to the eye. I'd still get it, as even the untrained ear can hear the difference between an X-Fi and onboard :)

Order
01-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Since you're going with such a powerful GPU, I really suggest a bigger monitor. I'm running a 7950gx2 with a 24" widescreen monitor which is obvious very powerful but is nothing compared to your 8800 and I have no problem running all but the very newest games at 1920x1200 with the highest settings. A larger monitor will really allow your system to show its true potential when gaming.

Orsenfelt
01-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies! Still looking for answers to the other questions =)

TheJollyFellow: I'm still undecided about this lol, I guess its just down to what happens on the day of ordering..

Order: I've had alook at other screens, Really interested in the Dell 24" Widescreen.. Anyone with personal experience? How much of a difference between 22" and 24" is there (Obviously 2" ..) I mean does it feel MUCH larger?, Worth the double price anyway?