View Full Version : Fresh Meat ABC Project

mike047
01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
New project;

http://abcathome.com/

[XC] riptide
01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the ABC@home website.
This project will try to find abc triples related to the ABC conjecture. Account creation has been temporarily closed

EDIT: Mike, any idea how the credits work? Dependent on that retard benchmark?

mike047
01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I think the administrator is setting the points. No benchmark that I know of. AMD may have an edge in speed. Varied work some as short as 3 min-up to 2 hrs+/-.

I went in the back door the other day[beta] and switched over to "stable" this morning.

Team established, so check it out.

beta;

http://abcathome.com/beta/

mike047
01-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Qurom of 2, accounts should be open tomorrow morning.

zombie67
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
They have also discovered that 64 bit applications crunch about 3 times as fast, and are considering offering 64 bit applications and 3x the credits. Still under consideration.

mike047
01-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Account creation is open.

WELCOME aboard GlennPat:)

glennpat
01-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks Mike. Just got my 1st credit granted on ABC@home and now show up on the team list.

Glenn

mike047
01-14-2007, 10:14 AM
WELCOME A novice1

A novice
01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
WELCOME A novice1
Thanks for the welcome
Rob:)

[XC] gomeler
01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Is this going to be a DC-Vault project or you guys just crunching for the sheer pleasure?

glennpat
01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm hoping it will go to the DC-Vault. Project is running smooth so far. It did give me pleasure today watching the results go in.

mike047
01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Is this going to be a DC-Vault project or you guys just crunching for the sheer pleasure?

It has to be evaluated and some input from crunchers is required.

Please post here about the project;
http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40373

We are currently #4 in total points and RAC. If we can get this to the vault, we will make some points. We are ahead of all the teams above us in the vault.

Good to see you Wildblue:D

[XC]thewildblue
01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Its a nice virgin project to make good progress in.....:woot:

nn_step
01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
question, are you doing the project for the sake of the project or more for the simple creation of a team in it?

[XC]thewildblue
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I do it for the stats to be honest. Dont know about everyone else.

mike047
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
question, are you doing the project for the sake of the project or more for the simple creation of a team in it?

My object at the present is to advance our standings in the vault. I feel this will give XS DC a better stature, and make us a more desireable team to join in DC projects. More members= more points=higher standings.

There are projects[I have 46 boxes to spread around] that I feel do valuable science, some maybe not so much science. Any project that can "find out" something that we didn't know is of some value. Some projects will carry a heavier weight for my participation than others.

I like the stats and I like the science....

A novice
01-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with Mike we need to put the XS name about in the DC projects if people call by and like the look of us they may decide to stay. Look at me I only called by to say hello to an old team-mate DCManiak and then decided to stay.:)
I have thrown everything I have at ABC@home to give us a start but I now need to move most of my computers back to other projects so if anyone has a spare computer to throw on this project please do.
Rob :D

mike047
01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
A Novice, thanks for the big boost. I might really power up on this for awhile so that when it goes Vault we will be at the top or near it.

ANY Help, short or long term by anyone will help and be appreciated.

FIXED credit on this project, benchmarks don't count.

We are #4 RAC and total with Team Norway@#13.

[XC] 4X4N
01-16-2007, 02:47 PM
My object at the present is to advance our standings in the vault. I feel this will give XS DC a better stature, and make us a more desireable team to join in DC projects. More members= more points=higher standings.

There are projects[I have 46 boxes to spread around] that I feel do valuable science, some maybe not so much science. Any project that can "find out" something that we didn't know is of some value. Some projects will carry a heavier weight for my participation than others.

I like the stats and I like the science....

I also agree with mike, and I am doing the same. I don't have the firepower he does, though. I'm spread too thin to help out on this right now. I'm working mostly on protiens@home and psp right now. Once we move up enough in those I could throw something on this.

[XC]thewildblue
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
I have been saying about this for a while with the vault standings but you guys are the only ones who agreed with me....

Its the best advertising for new recruits.

mike047
01-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I have been saying about this for a while with the vault standings but you guys are the only ones who agreed with me....

Its the best advertising for new recruits.

You are absolutely correct:D
I tried selling that as well as you did/do without success, also.

Maybe, someday, we can say; Told You So:)

Bootup05
01-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi guys, how long do you think a 600MHz Celly would take folding the average WU with this project?

Cos there taking like 30h on WCG per WU atm:eek:

mike047
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi guys, how long do you think a 600MHz Celly would take folding the average WU with this project?

Cos there taking like 30h on WCG per WU atm:eek:

The wu's on ABC are about 1hr long on a 2.4 AMD box. You should be able to do a couple a day. The credits are fixed so there is no benchmark issue as with most other projects.

We would be glad to have your help.

mike047
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
WELCOME to Jason:)

We are currently 5th in points and RAC, we are starting to fall behind. Team Norway is in 14th.

I will put the power play to this project[16+ boxes] Saturday morning and maybe get us RAC and eventually #1.

If we hit the vault at #1 we will gain a lot of vault points:D:D

[XC] gomeler
01-17-2007, 11:19 PM
i hope it gets added with all the work you guys are putting into it. goodluck!

A novice
01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
WELCOME to Jason:)

We are currently 5th in points and RAC, we are starting to fall behind. Team Norway is in 14th.

I will put the power play to this project[16+ boxes] Saturday morning and maybe get us RAC and eventually #1.

If we hit the vault at #1 we will gain a lot of vault points:D:D

If you are going for #1 I will give you a hand over the weekend
Rob:cool:

mike047
01-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I just put 16 more boxes on[about 40Ghz+/-??] to make a run. If this isn't enough, I have 15 more I can use also. This still leaves 13 on other vault projects 24/7.

Any help will be useful, I wish we could get some more ABC team members.

Paladin
01-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Does ABC support checkpoint/pause/resume of WUs? SpinHenge & RCN don't which causes a lot of lost CPU cycles for me.

mike047
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Does ABC support checkpoint/pause/resume of WUs? SpinHenge & RCN don't which causes a lot of lost CPU cycles for me.

The checkpoint issue is being addressed in beta and will soon be in the stable work.

The administrator of this project is on the ball and very active in sorting out issues.

[XC]melymel
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
congrats on being user of the day mike :D :clap: I will switch the c2d over form qmc to this for now if you're shooting for the top spot. :toast:

mike047
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
congrats on being user of the day mike :D :clap: I will switch the c2d over form qmc to this for now if you're shooting for the top spot. :toast:

Hey Thanks, we are in #5 and if we don't let them get away...we'll score big in the vault:)

mike047
01-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Post by Hendrik Verhoek, moderator, project administrator/developer ABC;

I try to check things regularly and try to fix problems fast
when I can, all the users are dedicating precious computing time,
and if I just let it sit there for days and not respond it's not good
and without much respect. Also, it's a good way to know what is going
on and react on it fast, before the entire project runs of by itself.
If users are not happy, there's usually something wrong
with the project or design of it, and needs to be adjusted.

I don't think anyone can ask for more than this kind of dedication to a project. I wish all were like this. Also project has FIXED credits:D

Always looking for help.

Paladin
01-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Post by Hendrik Verhoek, moderator, project administrator/developer ABC;

Refreshing philosophy for a project admin. Switching NightFire to ABC.

mike047
01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
@Paladin, THANKS.

This project is REALLY trying to get it right.

Bootup05
01-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Got all my systems on this project now:)

Even the 600/700MHz Cellys are getting the WU's done in 2/3 Hours:D

BTW, I put my name down wrong first time, It has now updated on the ABC@H site, next time Free-DC syncs with ABC, will it update my username as Bootup05 from Jason (and also start making my sig work):)

Thanks
And glad to be a part of this new team!:banana:

EDIT: Damn some of these projects are redicolously fast!

Anyone know how often the ABC site updates?

:eek: Only started this 30 mins ago and its already updated twice! :) :)

mike047
01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Got all my systems on this project now:)

Even the 600/700MHz Cellys are getting the WU's done in 2/3 Hours:D

BTW, I put my name down wrong first time, It has now updated on the ABC@H site, next time Free-DC syncs with ABC, will it update my username as Bootup05 from Jason (and also start making my sig work):)

Thanks
And glad to be a part of this new team!:banana:

EDIT: Damn some of these projects are redicolously fast!

Anyone know how often the ABC site updates?

:eek: Only started this 30 mins ago and its already updated twice! :) :)

I haven't seen it in print but I think it is every 4 hours. I'll post if I find out differently. Thanks for the help.

[XC]melymel
01-20-2007, 11:39 AM
This is a very nice trouble free project and it seems that the sites stats updates about once every 15minutes. The only gripe I have with it is in boinc manager the wu progress bar freezes at random percentages so I have no idea how long a wu will last as the time to completion is also out :p:.

:toast:

mike047
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
This is a very nice trouble free project and it seems that the sites stats updates about once every 15minutes. The only gripe I have with it is in boinc manager the wu progress bar freezes at random percentages so I have no idea how long a wu will last as the time to completion is also out :p:.

This issue has been fixed, the new wu's with 1.01 will not have that problem. I have already gotten some and they run smooth:).

[XC]melymel
01-20-2007, 12:14 PM
This issue has been fixed, the new wu's with 1.01 will not have that problem. I have already gotten some and they run smooth:).

Great! I have some 1.01's in que which I should be running by tommorow morning so I shall see then. If they run smooth for me I will post in the DCV forums in the abc thread to say it's all good. :toast:

mike047
01-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Great! I have some 1.01's in que which I should be running by tommorow morning so I shall see then. If they run smooth for me I will post in the DCV forums in the abc thread to say it's all good. :toast:

GREAT, we need more feedback in the vault.

Bootup05
01-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Anyone got any idea how ofren BOINC syncs itself with the ABC Servers?

All my other systems seem to be sending results at around each 30 mins, except for my E6400 system, Woke up this morning and there were 44 results "Ready to Report" :eek:

Are these things actually going to send automatically, or do I have to keep pressing Update?:confused:

Also what do I have to put after my Username on the Statstool Config ot get the Sig working?

BTW we should pass BOINC Synergy tonight:D

mike047
01-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Anyone got any idea how ofren BOINC syncs itself with the ABC Servers?

All my other systems seem to be sending results at around each 30 mins, except for my E6400 system, Woke up this morning and there were 44 results "Ready to Report" :eek:

Are these things actually going to send automatically, or do I have to keep pressing Update?:confused:

Also what do I have to put after my Username on the Statstool Config ot get the Sig working?

BTW we should pass BOINC Synergy tonight:D

HI, The e6400 is dual core??[I don't know anything about Intels]. All my dual cores wait a long time to report...don't know why...but once they start reporting you should be ok.

On your account page at the bottom is your account #, use this # in the stats configurator.

I'll wave at BoincSynergy when we pass:D

[XC]melymel
01-21-2007, 07:31 AM
@bootup05 you're userid for the stats tool is: 1441

All my results update as soon as they finish for some reason. Also has anyone else had the pleasure of dealing with 8 hour wu's? It appears I have several of them in que :( :p:

mike047
01-21-2007, 08:12 AM
@bootup05 you're userid for the stats tool is: 1441

All my results update as soon as they finish for some reason. Also has anyone else had the pleasure of dealing with 8 hour wu's? It appears I have several of them in que :( :p:

I have had several, they pay good just long:D

Bootup05
01-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks Melymel:)

And :woot: we've past BOINC Synergy :D

http://abcathome.com/top_teams.php :banana:

mike047
01-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Welcome to The Bad Penguin:D

We are now in 4th overall and in RAC.:)

mike047
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
We have a reasonably secure hold on the #4 position in points and RAC.

Of the top 10 teams in the vault 6 are now ranked in the top 25 ABC. The closest is Free-DC at #10.

[XC]thewildblue
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Moved another rig over 24/7 for the time being, it was on united devices. Also moved a core from a DX over as well, that was doing UD as well.

We need some new recruits if we are to gain any more ground, shame really as we could smash this project in the early stages and pull out a big lead.

A novice
01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
We have a reasonably secure hold on the #4 position in points and RAC.

Of the top 10 teams in the vault 6 are now ranked in the top 25 ABC. The closest is Free-DC at #10.
Well done Mike you have thrown a lot of computers at this project :clap:
I have moved back to spinhenge@home there is still points to be gained their.
And I am waiting for LHC@home to release work and I will hit that project when they do.
Rob

mike047
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
HI guys, nice work.

This project is about to "VAULT";

http://abcathome.com/forum_thread.php?id=60

http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=344318&postcount=26

At the present, we would be the #1 vault team on ABC project.

Please don't let up yet, and ANYONE that can spare a box for a day, week or even acouple of hours, will be a great help.

mike047
01-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I have also discovered, by default[I had a stick of ram puke:(], that this project will run on a full XP os and only 256mb ram. Ram usage for project is only about 64mb.

glennpat
01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I added 3 boxes. Full time for at least a day. I don't want to miss all the fun.

[XC]thewildblue
01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Good news on the vault, thats a good 10,000 points vaulted.

Closing the gap to top 10.

mike047
01-24-2007, 02:50 PM
OK, the project going to the vault will happen soon according to Russ@Vault:D

I did some looking and this is the way it will shake out as of the present;

Boinc@Australia will be #1[2 OA]
Team Haiku #2[3 OA]
XS #3[4 OA]

Both are behind us in the vault standings with Australia@15 and Haiku@25.

So we will gain a big bunch of points but not all:(

Team Haiku has one VERY strong player, I might be able to match his output and over several week we might get past them.

Free-DC is #8[OA], and next closest but is only posting 1770 RAC, should be no problem there.

THANKS to everyone for their participation, Teamwork pays off:D

[XC]thewildblue
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
So not quite 10k points but still in the high 9xxx which is what we need.

Teamwork does pay off thats for sure.

Paladin
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
It's showing on vault now, but no points calculated yet.

The 1.01 client is working nicely. Checkpoints/pause/resume are operational so no work is lost. Though the time-to-completion is still inaccurate, the percentage of a WU is spot on.

Can't wait for them to iron out the bugs in the 64-bit version and release it to the main project. Beta testers are claiming major speed-ups with it.

Bootup05
01-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I know this isn't much but Im just off to get another PSU, can then try getting this old board working and have the last of my Cellys folding:)

I believe its another 600MHz, although it does have some OC options in the bios, will try get it at 700 if I can:p:

Should pass you soon thewildblue:p:

[XC]thewildblue
01-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Im just keeping your spot warm boot......

mike047
01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
9831.46:D

http://www.dc-vault.com/showcat.php?cat=3

UCmajewski
01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
9831.46:D

http://www.dc-vault.com/showcat.php?cat=3

Holy smokes a momentary top 10 spot for XS ! Now if we could get more points in ubero, SoB sieve, riesel sieve, and PSP Proth we could hold this ranking. Though very well done in beating top teams to the punch.

[XC] gomeler
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow! Congrats guys, those 9.8k points are amazing :) We will dominate the math section of the DC-Vault soon, things are looking great guys!

mike047
01-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Holy smokes a momentary top 10 spot for XS ! Now if we could get more points in ubero, SoB sieve, riesel sieve, and PSP Proth we could hold this ranking. Though very well done in beating top teams to the punch.

I would love to work these project but the setup and trouble required makes it unattractive for me to do so. With 46 boxes, I can work any Boinc project almost at will, as needed, but these reguire additional time that I won't give up:).

Get them on Boinc:) and I'll Play.

Bootup05
01-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Im in front of you now thewildblue:D :p:

Once i get home I can send the results off that are on my C2D system and start pulling away:cool:

Oh yeah, I got my new PSU aswell, gonna try get the celly working today, if that fails im also looking at getting 1 or 2 cheapo systems for dedicated folding off of ebay, they will probably either be something like 2GHz P4 prebuilds, or Il knock something up with a 1.8GHz P4/Celly or say a 2800 Athlon XP / 3000+ A64:)

UCmajewski
01-26-2007, 06:27 AM
I would love to work these project but the setup and trouble required makes it unattractive for me to do so. With 46 boxes, I can work any Boinc project almost at will, as needed, but these reguire additional time that I won't give up:).

Get them on Boinc:) and I'll Play.

Ubero is just run and install .... its not boinc but its just as easy.

[XC]thewildblue
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Enjoy the lead boot. I need to start up my farm at home at some stage, 2 x dual core amds, 2 x axp @2200 2 x a643200+ lappys and a 3200+ @ 2600....lol

I cant justfy it again at the moment but you never know when I might.....lol
Maybe when the 64bit client becomes active I may power up.

mike047
01-26-2007, 02:06 PM

I'll look at it again tonight.

mike047
01-26-2007, 04:08 PM

OK, I looked again;

Status;DOWN....is this common/ what exactly does that mean? Server down, no work??

It requires Java vm, what kind of hit does the memory and hard drive take from this?? I have boxes with minimal ram and some with very small hard drives.

What size equipment do I need to make it work properly??

edit; the team has only three members, two are Jose. There has been no work done for several months.

[XC] 4X4N
01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I saw that too, so I kind of gave up on that one for now. I just switched what I was running on psp proth to pi segment. So far going good. The client detects both cores and shows progress %. Very easy to set up. Just install, register your name, and go.

mike047
01-27-2007, 04:30 AM
I saw that too, so I kind of gave up on that one for now. I just switched what I was running on psp proth to pi segment. So far going good. The client detects both cores and shows progress %. Very easy to set up. Just install, register your name, and go.

There seems to be some server/connection problems with Pi Segment.....I may try it if they get it straightened out.

[XC] 4X4N
01-27-2007, 07:10 AM
I have been running it for a little over 12 hours now, and have had no issues. Hopefully it will stay that way. Doesn't seem to stress my rigs as much as other projects. My temps are down 4-5 degrees.

mike047
01-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I have been running it for a little over 12 hours now, and have had no issues. Hopefully it will stay that way. Doesn't seem to stress my rigs as much as other projects. My temps are down 4-5 degrees.

I got hooked up and am on PI now also uFluids.

I had trouble with PI[I can't believe I did this:(] with logging in. I looked for over 45 min for a place to login, My screen resolution placed it off the screen on the right........finally found it:p:

Paladin
01-27-2007, 11:58 AM

"Login attemp failed: Unable to connect to coordinator dctp.ubero.net on port 443"

^ I get that repeatedly on any machine I install it on. Even if I DMZ my entire network it's still the same error.

mike047
01-27-2007, 12:11 PM
"Login attemp failed: Unable to connect to coordinator dctp.ubero.net on port 443"

^ I get that repeatedly on any machine I install it on. Even if I DMZ my entire network it's still the same error.

I don't believe the project is active at the present. I could not get it either.

UCmajewski
01-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't believe the project is active at the present. I could not get it either.

if thats true then it needs removed from the vault .... also one glaring horrible sag on our points is SOB sieve which I know is alive and well. I am going to attempt a go at it.

mike047
01-27-2007, 03:51 PM
if thats true then it needs removed from the vault .... also one glaring horrible sag on our points is SOB sieve which I know is alive and well. I am going to attempt a go at it.

There is a thread in the vault forums addressing just that point.

[XC]thewildblue
01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Looks like ABC is down for me at the moment. Unable to add any new clients get work or deliver work.

mike047
01-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Looks like ABC is down for me at the moment. Unable to add any new clients get work or deliver work.

BETA site is down also......server crash???Routine maintenance would not shut everything down, I would think.

Paladin
01-29-2007, 07:42 AM
It's back up again. Time to flush. :fart:

29 January, 2007
Yesterday the ABC server crashed due to a kernel oops. Everything should now be fine again.

mike047
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I did, about 1,000 wu's:D maybe more:)

KaptainBlaZzed
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Just added the QX6700 to ABC@Home.

Hope it helps

KB

mike047
02-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Just added the QX6700 to ABC@Home.

Hope it helps

KB

YES, it will, and THANKS.

In a few days we will take back #4:)

BandofBrothers
02-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Just added my parents 2500+ barton to this project.

Not sure it will help "that" much, but I suppose its something:toast:

mike047
02-02-2007, 12:47 PM
BoB, THANKS for the help.

Bootup05
02-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Mike where's your score gone? :confused:

http://abcathome.com/team_display.php?teamid=166

mike047
02-04-2007, 05:37 AM
BE calm, I've gone to help the Aussies for a few days, I'll be back:D

And caused trouble:D, as usual:)

http://abcathome.com/forum_thread.php?id=76#1426

Paladin
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Heh, the main whiner in that thread has an appropriate avatar, n'est pas? ;)

mike047
02-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Heh, the main whiner in that thread has an appropriate avatar, n'est pas? ;)

You noticed that also:D