PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal about Gears of War?

LazyBum
01-12-2007, 11:42 PM
My brother bought this for the 360, and I really can't see any compelling reason to play it. I was on it for 15 minutes or so and shut it off, the game had absolutely nothing to offer. He only has maybe 2 hours into it himself. The graphics are :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty, controls are wonky, I just can't see what the big draw is.

Quest_7F
01-13-2007, 02:24 AM
What's the big deal about Gears of War?

I think games are different to each person, you may not like it but it is a quality game. Not the best out there but it has substance, which alot of games are missing lately. what types of games do u usually plau?

nvmd, I see that you play WoW, which says alot right there.

afireinside
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
LOL! Yeah playing WoW typically indicates that you have little or no taste in games, nor know what makes a game good or bad.

Are you playing on a rounded screen 20" CRT TV from 1980 with an RF adapter? I've run all the current PC games at 1600*1200 max details 16aa 16af and I'd still say GoW has the best graphics of any game made to date. Sure with ut2k7 and crysis that will all change very soon, but you must be on drugs to say GoW has ":banana::banana::banana::banana:ty graphics"

Controls are just as "wonky" as any other console game. You get used to them after about 30 minutes and they work decently.

The draw? Playing through the game was epic IMO. I've never had such an amazing gaming experience. HL2 was damn good but my PC was terrible at the time.

The only shortcomings were the length (5 hours on casual) and lack of story. They could have done a lot more with the story, but I really don't care.

LazyBum
01-14-2007, 10:33 PM
LOL! Yeah playing WoW typically indicates that you have little or no taste in games, nor know what makes a game good or bad.

As much as playing FPS games indicates a person is a brain dead imbecile :stick: I have a pretty wide range of game interests, just got started playing 360.
I'm playing on a 47" 1080i TV using component HD cables, and other games look good, just think they really could have done more with this one.
I admit that the graphics engine is good, and theres lots of detail, but it looks like garbage nonetheless. Everything is the same ugly muddy brown color and texture, making it impossible to distinguish friend, foe and background stuff. They went totally overboard on the shaders making the whole works a muddy mess. It may have good gameplay, but the graphic styling (or more accurately lack thereof). CoD2, Saint's Row, Hitman:Blood Money, Lego Star Wars 2, and Chrome Hounds all look good but this one is just a muddy mess. Maybe the later levels are drawn better (more than 2 colors would be nice), but I haven't gotten that far into it.

Magnj
01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
GoW is Beautiful

Arkangyl
01-16-2007, 12:13 AM
...It's supposed to be really murky, the world has been blown to hell and back and you're just another grungy soldier in a war that has gone on for too long. Everything is supposed to be tired and bleak. It would look stupid in a wide array of bright colors, what were you expecting? Fluorescent armor? The beauty is that it creates that muddy, beat-up world so well and if you look closely you can pick out all the small details. Also, I found it harder to differentiate between friend and foe in CoD3 than in GoW.
Personally, I think the controls are pretty good; the action button allows for a wide range of motions without needing to deal with many awkward combinations.

GoW is one of the most brilliant war games out there, the mood is set very n icely and the story is dark and gritty and doesn't try to make you into some superhero.

LazyBum
01-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Eh I guess we all have different tastes, this one just doesn't suit me well. I'm a casual gamer, and it just wasn't fun at all to me. Maybe I will have to check out CoD 3, I enjoyed the first 2 quite a bit, and hear the third has a nice graphics upgrade.

I was able to make the game look a lot better by maxing out brightness, contrast, and color saturation on my TV, settings that work for everything else looked really bad on this game. Once I got stuff tweaked it looked pretty good, not as good as PC games but pretty impressive for a console. The graphics engine definitely has some potential, I just dislike the art style they used. Good for a comic book, but way overshaded for a game IMO.

DoomSayer
01-20-2007, 04:25 PM
The fact that Gears of War sold 3 million units already proves its not crap anyway.i have gears of war aswell.and i can imagine if youre used to the colourfull world of warcraft that gears of war is indead dark but it needs to be this way.This game is great and im not one of those peeps who only sticks to FPS anyway.cant wait to get my hands on supreme commander.