PDA

View Full Version : C++ learning ?

Entity_Razer
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,

in my quest for better skills i'm interested in expanding my Programming knowledge from Visual Basic.net and Java to C++

Now my skill in VB is good, Java is so so and C or relatives is non excistent.

So i'm looking for a book, or series of books who will tell me precicly how to program, concepts, syntax, terms ... in short everything i need to know.

Going from something as simple as a for loop, to writing classes, using API's... the lot.

I have acces to Visual Studio.net ofc thanks to school but i'm also looking for a good Developer Environment for Linux. Something with a good compiler/debugger and good documentation/help.

Serra
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
I've seen (and own) a number of C/C++ books, from the For Dummies books, to books on using C for Linux program development and imo you've got two-three major choices, depending on exactly what you're looking for:

1. Book that goes quite in depth, probably too much so for anyone who just has a passing interest in making themselves familiar with the language, but great for anyone who wants to spend some serious time looking at it:
"C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis To Program Design" by D.S. Malik, published by Thomson Learning

2. Book that doesn't go into quite as much depth, but will certainly make sure you're more than simply "familiar" with the topic:
"SAMS Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days" by Jesse Liberty

3. A good beginners prep that teaches you everything you need to know to be proficient enough with it to be able to at least recognize just about everything C++ can do, if not pound it into your head because of a lack of exercises:
"SAMS Teach Yourself C++ In 24 Hours" by Jesse Liberty

I found the Dummies books were a little too... well, dumbed down, and most books I've seen are just too dry. I eventually did find I quite like the SAMS Teach Yourself series as a good set for people who aren't looking to become gurus but are maybe looking to either just learn enough to know what their next step with the language is (which can be useful), or for those people who perhaps have knowledge of other programming languages and don't need much in-depth explanations about how programming works.

The first book was actually assigned to me in University when I was taking a few C++ classes. Although the content isn't particularly unique among this type of book, what is unique is the fact that the books approach stresses what the title implies: teaching you concepts AND how to solve problems using them (it may sound trivial, but a solid design backing is extremely crucial if you plan on actually doing anything with your programming ability and it helps illustrate why a few features exist that you might have otherwise say "that was a waste of time learning" about).

dicecca112
01-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I"m a fan of the Deitel Books http://www.deitel.com/books/cpphtp5/

this is what I learned on, and I taught myself Java using one of there books

justin_c
01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
accelerated c++ by andrew koenig.
sam's jessy liberty book is good.
deitel c++ is very detailed and goes to great lengths explaining what not to do, but it becomes limited.
then comes effective c++.
and c++ puzzlers (forgot the name, it shows common mistakes)
and finally bjarne stroustrup's c++. the creator of c++.