PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

ugp
01-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I watched the conference on this last night and I am 100% sold on this phone. I cannot wait until June comes around so I can have my hands on one of these. Has anyone else watched it and what are you thoughts on this phone. During the whole demo of him showing the phone it didn't even hang up once...completely smooth operating the whole way through even while doing multiple applications. This is just the phone I have been looking for and Apple is starting to dominate all. I wouldn't be surprised if this opens a gateway to more people getting into Macs now.

This thread is open to all thoughts and ideas. Good or bad I do not mind. I want to know what you all think about and let us know if you are a Mac user or not when posting please.

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/indexhero20070109.jpg

NajZ
01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
The demo for the iphone was amazing. Problem is, i think the smart phone/PDA market maybe a bit hyped out of proportion. There aren't many ppl that will fork upto $500 just on a phone. But for those who do the iPhone is lightyears ahead.

I was a bit diappointed with the keynote being almost 100% about the iPhone. I wanted a bit more on the Macs. Well i think Apple is focusing more and more away from computers. A bit worried about that, especially seen as they changed their name from Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

serialk11r
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I personally would prefer a sony ericsson p910a. The touch screen has handwriting recognition:)

the_new_guy
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
there is no GPS ::mad:

Vapor
01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
ugp, I agree with everything you said....

The one thing I do worry about, well, not worry, but think we were 'deceived' on, was in-call internet. I'd bet that it only works if you have a wi-fi connection active, like during the keynote (which was pretty sweet.....the way he announced the iPhone was sweet, calling it a widescreen video iPod first), but not outside.

Anyway, looking forward to cancelling my vzw contract this June.....gonna be an expensive month for sure.....

Steve isn't the most technically adept, he makes mistakes during the keynote, he's a very typical user of a product.....and the way he was the phone was seemless and seemed very natural. I do worry about the keypad....thumb typing may have a slight learning curve for those used to a Treo/Q/E62/etc because of the textureless pad.

EDIT: oh yeah, to everyone saying that this isn't a smartphone because you can't add apps, I say look at the desktop, see that empty icon space? Yeah, we'll be getting more apps ;)

ugp
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I like his Star Trek Story when he was in High School...I was laughing my ass off about it.

But I look at this phone this way...I do not own an iPod right now. I have a Sprint LG Fusic at the moment. I am now a manager at a RadioShack so I would like to have a PDA.

One thing I have always noticed and I owned a PPC-6700 is the hang ups and how slow they are and how often they freeze. I punched my 6700 and shattered the screen on it because it made me mad.

Also RadioShack sells Cingular...I smell discount on phone :D 10% off full retail price is all but I will only pay $25 a month for my iPhone :D I love it. I am going to drop Sprint like a bad habit.

iPhone = pure pwnage!

ugp
01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
There is going to be GPS on it. I thought I remember Steve saying something about it.

I really liked the Google Maps loaded on it and the Visual Voicemail.

Other keynotes I liked was the Conferencing when someone calls in while you are on the phone. Very cool feature. Only thing I am upset about is it is only EDGE and not UMTS. But that is cool...

And of course...."The Pinch" got to love it.

And yes everything on it is "Patented" lol

FragTek
01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
iPhone rapes, period.

I'll be snatching me one on release day for sure. Goodbye Sprint, hello Cingular!

ugp
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
iPhone rapes, period.

I'll be snatching me one on release day for sure. Goodbye Sprint, hello Cingular!
I said the same thing....I called my Cingular rep today and told him. I haven't called my Sprint rep yet though....I don't think he needs to know.

See since I work at RadioShack we deal with Sprint/Nextel and Cingular. And I must say we are starting to sell more Cingular then Sprint. At least in my area we are. Cingular is a company that is starting to kick butt and I have a feeling Apple is going to be a company that will be a force to be reckon with in all categories.

the_cultie
01-11-2007, 03:18 AM
I'd love one too and it looks lovely. Only thing is Apple is now being sued by Cisco over the name. So it could be new name for the iPhone or a lot of money heading to Cisco. Who knows.....

equilibrium
01-11-2007, 04:24 AM
I really want one :)

I wish I'd have waited for it instead of buying a phone at christmas :( might wait a while for the price to come down a bit before jumping in and buying one tho.

I really like the look of iTunes on it and atm I don't have an iPod.

ugp
01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
They could make it iCell! LoL I should copyright that name right now. And sell it to Apple for like a million or so lol just kidding.

UnreaL
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
They could make it iCell! LoL I should copyright that name right now. And sell it to Apple for like a million or so lol just kidding.

Cisco would employ you :p

Funnily enough Apple have copyrighted the iPhone name under a different usage context to Cisco, and Apple I think [read this bit I am less sure about] hold the international copyright or some wierd thing like that.

[XC] moddolicous
01-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I really want one :)

I wish I'd have waited for it instead of buying a phone at christmas :( might wait a while for the price to come down a bit before jumping in and buying one tho.

I really like the look of iTunes on it and atm I don't have an iPod.
Yea, I wish I hadn't of gotten a new phone and gotten this one, but oohh well. I'm happy with my sliver. How much is it going to retail? $600?

ugp
01-11-2007, 05:56 PM
4GB is going to be $499 with 2-Yr Contract an $599 for the 8GB.

Retail that means $699 and $799..which is what I will have to pay since I will have an employee plan.

elec999
01-12-2007, 06:44 AM
This is an amazing phone. Im sure other companies will release similar phones. i wish It had buildin gps.
Thanks

ugp
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Sprint had an opportunity and they passed on it my Sprint rep was telling me. Although Sprint is in some deep trouble now financially. They just fired over 5,000 employees.

Apple did say this was only the first that they were to make. There is more phone to comes. I am sure we will see eventually a 30GB iPhone as well.

the_new_guy
01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
i dont think the 30gb iphone will be a iphone, it will just be the wide screen ipod

speed bump
01-13-2007, 02:30 AM
So what makes this so great?

Everything I have heard about this phone is already done by phones like the Palm treo 700 why do I need an Apple phone?

ugp
01-13-2007, 08:18 AM
So what makes this so great?

Everything I have heard about this phone is already done by phones like the Palm treo 700 why do I need an Apple phone?
No stylus needed. Those were a pain to me.

No little damn keypad to type with. That annoyed me when I had one.

This phone is awesome. It pwns!

Kjaks
01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I think I would like the phone a lot but the cost is too great, especially because it's going to be typically $100-150 more in Norway. Also I'm unsure about how well the sms-writing touch keyboard works. The buttons seem a bit too small for the average finger and it's probably going to be like writing on your keyboard with one finger. Anyhow I prefer to call people so it wouldn't be a big problem, and of course I'm only speculating.

iPhone isn't going to be released before Q3/Q4 in USA/Europe so the scene will be a bit different at that time.

serialk11r
01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Way too expensive. Pick up a sony ericson p910a, and it will cost less and it has removable qwerty keyboard, handwriting recognition, etc.etc. and pwnage sony ericson games:D Also carried by cingular.

ugp
01-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I hate Sony products. Never like there stuff. especially there cell phones. Just never been a fan of them at all. Although that is just my opinion, so don't anyone get mad and my opinion on Sony has nothing to do with the PS3. Just to clarify that.

the_new_guy
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
i think currently the best music player meets phone are the sony's.

As for smart phone the P990i is really features rich but looks like a piece of crap and the sony menus suck.

Petra
01-15-2007, 12:27 AM
...Am I the only one left on this planet who just wants a simple, small phone that'll make phone calls, text message, and function as a really obnoxious alarm clock? :rolleyes: *glances at my trusty LG VX-4500*

illidan
01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
not a 3G phone

Serra
01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
IMO anyone just *waiting* to spend $600 PLUS sign a 2-year plan (or perhaps pay *at least* $800 without - more likely $900) for a PHONE.... well, I won't flame, but you see my point here, right? If you're making 100k+ a year, great, go ahead... but if you're making anything less than that, I'd like some free money too.

serialk11r
01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I hate Sony products. Never like there stuff. especially there cell phones. Just never been a fan of them at all. Although that is just my opinion, so don't anyone get mad and my opinion on Sony has nothing to do with the PS3. Just to clarify that.
Sony Ericsson, not sony. Sony sucks sh*t.

ziddey
01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
IMO anyone just *waiting* to spend $600 PLUS sign a 2-year plan (or perhaps pay *at least* $800 without - more likely $900) for a PHONE.... well, I won't flame, but you see my point here, right? If you're making 100k+ a year, great, go ahead... but if you're making anything less than that, I'd like some free money too.
Do you remember back when verizon (then bell atlantic mobile in the northeast) released the motorola startac? $899 for one that did crude sms and $699 for one that didn't. Haha good times

[cTx]Philosophy
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I was sitting there watching the demo saying man that phone is gonna own...

Then they said the prices and I said man thats gonna suck..

Then I read all this and think, man XS is gonna have alot of members with these :P

Im gonna be one..

Tough call though PS3 or a smart phone with all this? HMMMM..

I think Ill hold off on the Peice a Shi 3

ugp
01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I sure want one but I am not sure if I am going to be able to get one due to money problems and all. I am already $5,000 in credit card debt right.

NWEng
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I think the only thing that throws me off is the AT&T/Cingular. Their GSM was the worst service I ever had and it was worth every penny of the $175 to drop them.

FragTek
01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll gladly walk in with a smile on my face and drop $600 on one of these puppies without batting an eye, that's how badly I want one.

serialk11r
01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
This isn't the most high tech phone. There are plenty more. Its just that apple is making a big fuss about the touch screen when several other pda phones already have touch screens. Apple got sued too, so :P haha. I laugh at them.

topaimz
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I smell another law suit :D (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/11/iphone-and-lg-ke850-separated-at-birth/)

The LG one seem to have been released earlier than the iPhone.
This is backed up by the fact that LG submitted the KE850
in late 2006 to win the 2007 award, thus before the release of
iPhone.

iPhone will probably do well in NA, but LG's phone will probably
do well in Asia and possibly Europe.

BTW, iPhone isn't revolutionary, not one bit IMO :p:
All its "spectacular" functions could be done on Korean and Japanese
phones long before it was even thought of :rolleyes:

Duh
01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
...Am I the only one left on this planet who just wants a simple, small phone that'll make phone calls, text message, and function as a really obnoxious alarm clock? :rolleyes: *glances at my trusty LG VX-4500*

I second that :cool: Until my motorola c115 dies I am not planning to buy another one. It just does everything I need:
-phone calls
-text message
-torch/lantern
-alarm clock
-calculator

All those functions for about $40:toast:

I am not saying the iphone its not superb, its great but you must be nuts ( ugp) If you owe money to the bank and plan to keep on spending, be wise and chill out with the buying :)

serialk11r
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I second that :cool: Until my motorola c115 dies I am not planning to buy another one. It just does everything I need:
-phone calls
-text message
-torch/lantern
-alarm clock
-calculator

All those functions for about $40:toast:

I am not saying the iphone its not superb, its great but you must be nuts ( ugp) If you owe money to the bank and plan to keep on spending, be wise and chill out with the buying :)
There's an easier option called ebay. Go on ebay, and you can find motorola v3 razrs for just 2 bucks shipped. My mom bought one, and it works perfectly:D

Duh
01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
There's an easier option called ebay.

Theres something called living 15k km from Ebay´s home :p:

Kingcarcas
01-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Damn at that price it might be better than a PS3 :D My cousin says he's getting one, which is funny because just about everyone in my whole family has a razr now that they're so cheap :rofl: My phone is a cheap $40 Samsung because i don't really care for cell phones anyway......

You are not alone sir :p:

Edit: Widescreen is sweet though, about damn time! Why is it everyone i've seen with an ipod video never actually had any video............

serialk11r
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Damn at that price it might be better than a PS3 :D My cousin says he's getting one, which is funny because just about everyone in my whole family has a razr now that they're so cheap :rofl: My phone is a cheap $40 Samsung because i don't really care for cell phones anyway......

You are not alone sir :p:

Edit: Widescreen is sweet though, about damn time! Why is it everyone i've seen with an ipod video never actually had any video............
lol talk about cheap. A ton of phones can be found on ebay for $0.5-$2 shipped. Like I said. And I used to want a nice cellphone but now I also think that all a cell has to do is call, etc.etc. but either that or full PDA function w/ a phone.

chun
04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
There are new rumors about iPhone release date. (http://www.pqdvd.com/blog/iphone/category/iphone-release-date/) iPhone may delay its lauch to the end of June (http://www.pqdvd.com/blog/iphone/iphone-news/iphone-running-into-software-qa-and-os-issues/) or early July.