PDA

View Full Version : pelt stacking

majormav
06-24-2002, 11:01 AM
is it worth it ... if so what step downs or ups are liable to work ..... i:e i have a 156..122...and a 80w just something im toying with is shoving the 122 to cool the 156 and then the waterblock to cool the 122 .... thanks for replys

arkan
06-24-2002, 11:19 PM
it doesnt work very well to stack pelts like that the heat from the 156 would fry the 120 pelt

ive never had good luck with pelt stacking bc it gets very inefficeint
using two of them side by side though on a larger cold plate does wonders if the water cooling system is capable of taking away ythe heat

JBELL
06-25-2002, 12:21 AM
would a water spacer between the pelts work? and run a small rad dedicated to each spacer?

LoadedDice
06-25-2002, 04:04 AM
If I remember right, no matter what you have to ensure that all items can withstand and control the energy the heat has. Using something that handles less energy ie, a lower rated TEC to cool a higher rated TEC, won't work. The water block situation would work fine, but how far can you go until your motherboard can't support the weight of everything attached to it.

But dual waterblocks would work wonders.

majormav
06-25-2002, 05:21 AM
thanks guys looks like a 1 pelt situation is what i will have to use .. looks like i will have to get a 220w one to do what im wanting

KAIN
06-25-2002, 06:10 AM
And then a Water Chiller as well to make the TEC truely effective :D

majormav
06-25-2002, 09:14 AM
a waterchiller is a bit out of reach at the moment but ive a m8 whos got some freezer space to make loadsa ice for some benching sessions

arkan
06-25-2002, 01:56 PM
grab the 226 pelt just make sure you have a power supply to feed it what it wants you can make a rather cheap water chiller out of a few 80 watt pelts and some old heatsinks if you really feel the need to get sub zero i set up one for a friend hes got 4 80 watt pelts mounted on his radiator bc the pelts are cooling the water and not a cpu you can use regualr cpu heatsinks to disappate their heat the water doesnt get cold enough to freeze but remains well below ambient temp although its loud since theres 4 cpu hsf running lol but is much more tolerable than a screaming delta fan

in reply to the question about how the motherboard can support the weright of such a big block...it doesnt luckily i have seen the holes around the cpu socket of a socket a board used to pass studs through that then were bolted to the case itself it was a custom job but i guess when you get motivated enough you can make it work althugh im sure some places would set it up for you for the right amount of $ id rather do it myself though

kinda like when nasa spent a few million dollars to design a pen that could write in space and the russians just used a pencil

DisposableHero
06-27-2002, 05:29 AM
what about stacking 2 pelts of the same w? like two 220s?

majormav
06-27-2002, 09:41 AM
The 220w pelts that i have seen are 17v how do i get to power em .... or can i run em at 12v to what efficiency ........ 2 of them babys will require massive amounts of juice

arkan
06-27-2002, 10:06 AM
stacking two pelts of the same size doesnt work well either bc the topp pelt has to remove the heat produced by the cpu and the pelt right under it so it would get overloaded by heat and pissibly fry itself