PDA

View Full Version : just pulled the trigger on TWIN2X2048-6400PRO

zon
01-08-2007, 01:45 AM
i can't wait to oc my rig, dying to see how high these memory will go. fry has a killer deal on this btw for those that's interested.

2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 240-Pin Dimm, CAS 5-5-5-12 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO

newegg shows stock voltage at 1.8 or 1.9, i'll bet these baby will go 1000mhz with 2.2+ volts :cool:

anyone know what ic these may be using?

Yellowbeard
01-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Have a look here and use the IC Inquiry Thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122800

ChaosMinionX
01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
i can't wait to oc my rig, dying to see how high these memory will go. fry has a killer deal on this btw for those that's interested.

2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 240-Pin Dimm, CAS 5-5-5-12 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO

newegg shows stock voltage at 1.8 or 1.9, i'll bet these baby will go 1000mhz with 2.2+ volts :cool:

anyone know what ic these may be using?

Depends on the revision you get if its 1.3 then its Micron based, if its not its Infineon I believe. But if you ordered from the Egg, go with the 6400C4PRO thats like 344$ , I can tell you they overclock like a dream, and run low latencies, I own 4gigs of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145038

Thats them right there. Worth the money, they will run DDR2 1000 at 4-4-4-8, with really tight timings on everything else too (this is on a P5B DLX)

bofors
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
On a related note, Frys/Outpost.com has TWIN2X2048-6400PRO for $239.99: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4776319

Apparently this has Promos ICs now, but I am certainly not going to waste my time trying to look it up on Corsair's arcane IC list. I am sick of these "bait and switch" games that Corsair plays.

What NewEgg is selling for $344.00 would appear to be very similiar to what Fry's/Outpost is selling for $239.99, but we know better don't we? I refuse to do business with a company that obviously misleads people about the quality of the RAM they actually getting.

Yellowbeard
01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
The bait and switch accusation is tired and it's wrong. Quite a few memory companies out there right now are using Promos and/or Elpida in "some" of their 6400 parts. Just do a bit of searching here and you'll see that. So, can you go to other company's websites and have a list of ICs? No, you can't. NO other company has an IC list. And, our list is not arcane. If you can build a computer the list should be easy reading.

As far as the price discrepency goes, memory is like fresh fish or "catch of the day". The market price can change from week to week based on what they paid for it. If you don't like a vendor's price, buy from someone else.

bofors
01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
The bait and switch accusation is tired and it's wrong.

Would you prefer that I accuse Corsair of fraud?

Quite a few memory companies out there right now are using Promos and/or Elpida in "some" of their 6400 parts.

In an industry known to engage in illegal price fixing schemes, that really is not too surprising is it?: http://news.com.com/Government+finds+witness+in+RAM+price-fixing+probe/2100-1004_3-5347423.html

The only reason Corsair et al. may get away with this overclocking RAM fraud is this is an "out-of-spec" market, but otherwise it quite simply theft.

So, can you go to other company's websites and have a list of ICs? No, you can't. NO other company has an IC list.

There obviously is no need for any IC list, is there? Corsair could indicate exactly which IC's is being used in the model number and RAM label, couldn't it?

If you don't like a vendor's price, buy from someone else.

You seem to be confused. I don't like the vendor, not the price. Don't worry, I am buying my RAM from somebody else: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129333

ChaosMinionX
01-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I havent actually torn off the heatspreaders to check the ICs, but I know the 6400C4PRO stuff takes 2.45v and will run DDR2 1100 with tight timings. Not to mention it was the general concensus of my previous post that they are in fact micron based.

And the arguement that Corsair is using a bait and switch thing is kind of unfair, the ram is marketed DDR2 800mhz 5-5-5-12, 1.8v.

That being said, will this ram do 800mhz 5-5-5-12 out of the box on 1.8 - 1.9v? Sure will. Have they mislead you on anything? Nope, maybe charged a little more for it than another company, but never once stated that it will take 2.4v like micron stuff and OC like a dream.

That was never once stated on any of their 6400 memory using Elpidia or Promos IC's, the arguement you bring bofors is more of just a slam to corsair and joining the original band wagon that occured 3 months ago which prompted Corsair to bring on the exchange of 6400C4D for the 8500 doms.

There was no fraud occuring, merely people buying under the assumption they were receiving ram that was $300+ that would do DDR2 1000+ with good timings. So it really is unfair to keep barraging Corsair about this since they didnt tell you it was something it wasnt, IE its marketed PC2 6400 5-5-5-12, and thats exactly what you received plain and simple if you got these.

Yellowbeard
01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Would you prefer that I accuse Corsair of fraud?

In an industry known to engage in illegal price fixing schemes, that really is not too surprising is it?: http://news.com.com/Government+finds+witness+in+RAM+price-fixing+probe/2100-1004_3-5347423.html

The only reason Corsair et al. may get away with this overclocking RAM fraud is this is an "out-of-spec" market, but otherwise it quite simply theft.

There obviously is no need for any IC list, is there? Corsair could indicate exactly which IC's is being used in the model number and RAM label, couldn't it?

I would "prefer" that you stop thread crapping and read the posting rules Fugger set out for this section. You have absolutely no reason to be posting in this thread or this section.

From Fugger:
This area is only for technical support, product information, updates and news. No flaming, spamming or general chat will be tolerated in here whatsoever.

The only reasons for posting in this section:

#1: Technical issues found common with the manufacturer's product(s).

#2: Requests and suggestions of updates for manufacturer's product(s).

#3: Replies to posted news and information by the manufacturer.

#4: In addition, all rules in the basic Forums rules apply as well.

#5: Represenatives are here on their spare time. Therefore, do not private message them about suggestions and technical problems if they are not answered immediately.

And, if you'd read your own link, you'd realize that those violations relate to IC manufacturing, not to actual memory module manufacturing. We are at the mercy of the IC makers just like everyone else.

As to the IC being included on the labeling, it's not as easy or feasible as it sounds. Revisions for any reason (improvements, ICs, new PCBs, etc) would then generate an incredible amount of new part numbers all the way thru the entire process from obtaining the IC, thru manufacturing, packaging, disro, wholesale, then retail. The vendors and customers don't want to have to sift thru doxens of EOL part numbers and Out of Stock notices. Trust me, there are people at every memory company that think about stuff like this. No one lists their ICs on a DIMM.