PDA

View Full Version : new to xtreme forums

nick9802
05-14-2003, 08:06 AM
just wanted to say hey, found this site by looking around for others who are running a similar setup..
I haven't played around with my system too much, just got it last week, but it's been up running games for a few days now.

just wondering what the average OC'er is getting out of their p4 3.06.. right now mine is running at 23 x 163, I'll edge it up to see how high it can go.. the video card is also overclocked a little using radeonator.. I was able to bump it up to the 337/337 range.

anyone have any recommendations for cooling the video card? I was considering water cooling it, but it would need multiple pieces for all the memory chips.. are there any large heatsinks that will pick up all the memory heat and have channels for liquid cooling setups?
Right now I'm using 3 regular case fans pointed at the top and bottom of the card, and another blowing across it, towards the 2 rear case fans that push it out.

Thanks,
Nick

Major
05-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the Xtreme Forums Nick !!! Glade to see you here !:)

Looks like you have a kick ass set up !

I don't know where you can buy a water block for video ram, Have seen peolple make their own. I don't think you would get much improvement vs ramsinks unless you want to really run the voltage up on it with a vmod.

TerroH8er
05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
first, welcome to XtremeSystems :) you'll like it here, it's a great place :toast:

for the video card: I would just watercool the Radeon core, watercooling the memory doesn't make too much of a difference.. you'll pretty much max out the memory with just ramsinks on them. You can either buy them (I hear the Tweakmonster tin-coated RAMsinks are nice) or cut one up out of an old heatsink.. I'm in the process of cutting up an old aluminum heatsink from my old GF2MX.. people say that old celeron heatsinks are good for that too.

Major
05-14-2003, 10:29 AM
I like to use the radio shack TO220 heat sinks, they have alot of surface area and do a great job. They will fit on the R9700pro. + they're pretty cheap !

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F007%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=276%2D1368

TerroH8er
05-14-2003, 11:13 AM
yeah I saw those at RadioShack, I was thinking of picking up some, but they have a hole in the bottom of them.. think it would matter?

OPPAINTER
05-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by TerroH8er
yeah I saw those at RadioShack, I was thinking of picking up some, but they have a hole in the bottom of them.. think it would matter?

The hole is far enough to the edge to where the rest of the heatsink will cover the mem chip without even touching the hole.

OPP

Barracuda
05-14-2003, 11:32 AM
welcome to XtremeSystems :)

Tweaked!
05-14-2003, 03:04 PM
nick9802, Welcome to Xtreme.:D

I would also suggest considering cutting down older pentium pro heat sinks. They work great:)

SupaMan
05-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
The hole is far enough to the edge to where the rest of the heatsink will cover the mem chip without even touching the hole.

OPP

i second that. I bought a few of them a while back. first was to cool the PLL on my A7V :) just tried one on my 9700mems, fits fine.