PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand vault scoring

[XC] 4X4N
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I really haven't figured out how vault scoring system works. I understand that each project is 10000 points, but how do you know what each position is worth? I see this thread (http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=327549&postcount=6) but I guess I need an example. Sorry for being such a tard :D

[XC] riptide
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Thats easy enough!

So say we're in 3rd place in a project with 100 teams.

Then we will get 10000 - ((3-1) * (10000/100)) = 10000 - (2 x 100) = 9800 :D

I hope I'm right

[XC] 4X4N
01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Project score = 10000 - ((Position - 1) * (10000 / Total number of teams in the project))

Lets take DPAD. I see 47 teams, we are 29th. 10000 - ((29-1)*(10000/47)) = 4042

I check out the vault stats and it has us in 24th place and shows 5000 points. I'm so confused :confused:

What I'm trying to figure out is: how many points do we gain as we pass each team.

[XC] riptide
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Looks like [DPC]NGS and [AVE] are excluded from the vault :confused:

4x4n. It depends on how many teams in that project. More teams mean less points per overtake. Less teams = more points. In my example above do we get 100 points per jump?

EDIT: ya 5000 would be right. Which means we are approx half way there to No1 in terms of places. So 47 teams (as per vault), we are 24. approx 50% :)

See the vault rewards on overtakes.

mtzki
02-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Was thinking if they could define this more reasonably...but maybe not. There are two aspects of the definition to consider, 1) its fairness and 2) the effect it will have on the crunching of the teams taking part in the competition.

1) would hold if the ranking could measure the computational work the team has offered to all the projects combined. No way to do this right as the projects use different measures. Weighting projects according to the number of users they have wouldn't work well either as the done work per user can vary much from project to another (e.g. some projects can't deal out work constantly). So the even weighting DC-Vault uses between projects might just be the only reasonable option.

Inside a single project it would seem more fair to give points based on the percentage of work the team has done compared to the project leader. But taking this with the even points awarding across different projects, all the teams taking seriously part in the Vault competition would just keep turning to new or unpopular projects where the leading team doesn't have much work done. This is just not reasonable as the popularity tends to follow the science contribution or potential of the projects (...one could well disagree here based on Seti or E@H...:D).

With points awarding in single rankings defined as it is, based on the ratio of the team's position vs. the total number of teams, it becomes possible for a Vault team to get nice point increases also in popular rankings. So 2) works well.

The Vault ranking definition might be reasonable after all...sadly maybe, as it can't achieve 1). :/