PDA

View Full Version : EPoX MF570SLI/G V2.1 booting problems - Help please!

Nevets
01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
I am having a problem with the BIOS and booting with this board. To OC the board, the CPU Frequency has to be adjusted. There are 5 BIOS's for this board. In the first four BIOS's, the CPU Frequency ranges from 200 to 450. In the fifth BIOS, the range is from 0 to 250.

I am using ClockGen to adjust the CPU Frequency while in Windoz XP. I have the fourth BIOS loaded (7 Jul 06) so my CPU Frequency range in BIOS is from 200 to 450. Although ClockGen does not support the 570 chipset, it does support the 590 chipset which is very simular to the 570 so I am able to use ClockGen. While testing for OC potential (currently at 8 X 335 with room to go) I have no problem adjusting the CPU Frequency in Windoz XP. However, when I try to adjust the CPU Frequency in the BIOS to greater than 300, my system will not boot and 'runs home' and loads the default settings of 11 X 200 or more often than not, dumps the BIOS and defaults back to the original settings that the BIOS is set for in the 7 Jul 06 update.

In a nut shell: I can change the CPU Frequency to over 335 in Windoz using ClockGen but I can't adjust the BIOS CPU Frequency to over 300 at any multiple (tried 7, 8, and 9). I have set the HTT to 3X instead of AUTO so that I do not go over 1000 on the HTT. I have adjusted various voltages to no avail.

Some BIOS sample settings:

Timings 5-5-5-12 (factory settings) I have to manually set the 12 because the system defaults it to 18 while in AUTO mode
Memory Bank Interleave is OFF
Memory Hole Remapping is ON
HTT is set to 3X instead of AUTO
VCore is 1.468
Chipset is 1.6
HT is 1.3
Memory set to DDR 400 instead of AUTO
Cool and Quiet is DISABLED

Is there something that I am missing here that stops the CPU Frequency from booting over 300?

Any help is appreciated.

nn_step
01-05-2007, 01:09 AM
the question is when you set the speed in Clockgen to 335, is the system SPI and WCG stable?

Nevets
01-05-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm new to this AM2 dual core stuff. Could you explain SPI and WCG.

I use ORTHO to test my system in Windows and at 8 X 335 I can run >8 hours with no faults and then just for kicks, I run SuperPi at the same time and get no errors there either.

nn_step
01-05-2007, 01:22 AM
SPI is also called SuperPi
WCG is like ortho, except it works your entire system

Nevets
01-05-2007, 01:26 AM
OK I get WGC now. When I am not testing in OC, I usually run SETI or Folding to really burn the system.

I sent an inquiry to EPoX about this but I do not expect an answer before Monday or Tuesday.

nn_step
01-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Probably just a cold boot problem.

Nevets
01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I don't think it is a 'cold boot' problem. The only time I shut down my computer is during thunder storms.

If I understand 'cold boot' ~ to start a computer from a powered down state vs a 'warm boot' ~ restarting the computer using the OS.

After I adjust the CPU frequency up using ClockGen, I then test using SPI and ORTHOS for a period of time (usually greater than 45 minutes 'small fft'), if I get no errors then I increase the CPU Freq using ClockGen.

If I get an error in ORTHOS or SPI, I abort testing and restart the OS so that I can adjust the voltages, ect in BIOS as I can not find a program that will do these things in Windows. While in BIOS, I also set the CPU Freq to the last good run level and this is where I get into trouble because I have great runs at over 300 but the BIOS stops me dead in my tracks.

Revage
01-09-2007, 11:24 AM
i have same board and i use the latest bios . i can go 340 mhz stable in windows without any problems.

Nevets
01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
i have same board and i use the latest bios . i can go 340 mhz stable in windows without any problems.

Wll I can not get above 300 with any BIOS, even the new one. I am still waiting for a reply from EPoX regarding this issue.

I can't beleive that I can not boot above 300 on the CPU Frequency adjustment.

I will try again with the newest BIOS but I do not have much hope of success seeing as I have tried it twice before. Is your baord a Rev 2.1?

Thanks