PDA

View Full Version : what shold i take?

XDude
05-13-2003, 08:25 AM
i'm baying a new pc and i can't decide which processor to take!
AMD OR INTEL!
what will give me beter performance in games and will be faster?

Pentium IV 2.4C 512K 800MHz with abit board and CORSAIR 512MB 3200 LL

or

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with ABIT NF7-SL v2.0 nForce2 and CORSAIR 512MB 3200 LL

i'm going to do OC.

TheDude
05-13-2003, 09:16 AM
The old AMD vs Intel debate....:D
I would go AMD....
Probably of more importance would be which video card are you getting and how are you cooling the rig?

XDude
05-13-2003, 10:02 AM
im taking redeon 9700 pro and as for cooling sk7 with sf2
you think it will be beter to wait for FX 5900?

if you say amd so it's fine with me! but you can tell me why?

TheDude
05-13-2003, 11:52 AM
I would wait for more posts before making decision....many will not agree with me...this is a hot topic of debate.
Price is my main reason....intel and AMD run neck and neck in performance. I currently have a 1700+ @ 2.8...AbitNF7-S....9700pro...Twinmos/winbondBH-5 ram (2x256)..cooled by prommie as my gaming rig and am very happy with it. :D
I am happy with my 9700pro and if for no other reason again other than price will keep it for a while longer.
If money is of no concern at all...my answer would be entirely different.
You said you will be Overclocking. What that used to mean was that you were interested in getting the best possible performance as cheaply as possible. I'm not so sure that it still means that to many?
Anyone can have a "killer" rig if they have enough cash to throw at it. Look at the price of the new video cards and CPUs.
My aim was to have the best performance/value ratio possible. The prommie is a long term investment in that.
Wait for more replies...I'm sure there will be many.:D

felix88
05-13-2003, 11:37 PM
i would also go with AMD. i've only got 2 reasons though.

first is price, well, i think TheDude went over that pretty well. you can buy 2 XP1700s for the same price as a 2GHz P4. you can overclock the snot out of the chip until it dies(if it ever does), and you've still got another.

and second, i run F@H and you should too. AMD chips generally fold better than Intel. :D

XDude
05-14-2003, 02:23 AM
i think i go with amd after all !
2100+, ABIT NF7-SL , Twinmos 512MB 3200(1x512 or 2x256?),SK-7 Cooler and SF2. that ok for OC?

bty - what is Prommie and what is F@H ?

TheDude
05-14-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by XDude
i think i go with amd after all !
2100+, ABIT NF7-SL , Twinmos 512MB 3200(1x512 or 2x256?),SK-7 Cooler and SF2. that ok for OC?

bty - what is Prommie and what is F@H ?

Sounds good to me:D do 2x256 for dual channel memory

Prommie = Prometeia....cooler for cpu $$$
Look here: http://www.xtwerkz.com

F@H = Folding at Home .....he's right everyone should do it
Look Here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6107

Maelstorm
05-14-2003, 08:02 AM
and second, i run F@H and you should too. AMD chips generally fold better than Intel.

Doesn't HyperThreading/Multithreading improve the folding a significant amount?

As far as my opinion on this.........need more info. What stepping and sSpec is that 2100+? I'm confident that the 2.4C that you're looking at is a D1 SL6WK......or is it?

This kind of information is important on how well you will overclock.

Intel or AMD......both are equally good, in my opinion. Both of those chips have a lot of potential, depending on what Stepping and sSpec you pick up. To be honest, I wouldn't put Intel out of the game just yet. The ABIT IC7 that you are talking about has been very successful in overclocking. The 2.4C has been doing very well as well, although the only problem with it, to me, is it's low multiplier.....sometimes you need to hit a very high FSB speed to get an impressive overall clock frequency. Don't get me wrong, higher FSB clocks are good, but once you have to start running your CPU:memory ratios @ 5:4 or 4:3, then that hampers latency.

The 2100+ usually can't hit so high FSB that it has this problem, and you can negotiate a higher multiplier so you can get your best FSB, but at the same time get your best overall clock frequency as well.

It's a trade off, really. I'd look into more benchmarks before you make your decision and DEFINITELY find out the Stepping and sSpec of both the 2100+ and the 2.4C before you buying anything. If you get a crappy maker/stepping/sSpec, then you will probably be very disappointed in your overclocking experience.

felix88
05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Maelstorm
Doesn't HyperThreading/Multithreading improve the folding a significant amount?

yeah, i believe it does. AMD still fold faster clock for clock. most of the time a XP2600 will outpreform a 2.6GHz P4.

CCW
05-17-2003, 10:45 PM
I agree with the guys that AMD are the better way to go. With Intel youm are paying extar for advertising althought the Pentium 4s have very good heat protection, they downclock themselves when they go too hot so you can never burn one out whereas you can burn out AMDs easily, to be precise 3.5 seconds of it being turned on, any Athlon XP would burn out without a heatsink and fan whereas the P4 would downclock to keep itself cool. Toms Hardware wrote a nice article about this a while back dare I say it.

AMD is more power for your money.

Craig

Attitudx
05-21-2003, 10:37 AM
just received my 2200 in a new rig tbred and good chip. I hve an intel pIII 450 and you are think what can you compare ta 1.8 to a 450 ok i will compare my 600 amd to the 450. Amd to me is more stable. I ran a 1700 oced to 1895mhz for a month it ran hotter but it lasted a month before i toasted it come to find out my ps didnt have the juice to power it. Needless to say I prefer amd never had a problem with em except it dont take long to burn one up tha tis for sure. ME AMD= GOOD

ThePunkerGuy
05-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Wow, another AMD v. Intel debate. Well, at least there is a simple answer... AMD all the way :) I know thats controversial, but if i were you i would go AMD. I have built systems with both and now i strictly stick with AMD because they just plain out perform better. Also, i dont know if you are interested in overclocking (probably not) but if ya get an XP 2100+ or even a 1700+.. and an Nforce 2 mobo.. then you can easily set it to 333FSB right out of the box and never have to worry about anyting at all. And if ya are daring ya can set it to 400Fsb.. i set mine at 420fsb and this is my first really big fully overclocked system and dang its easy! What is better than buying a $42 1700+ CPU and running it at 2+ ghz for free?
thats my 2 cents.
- Mike